Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/29/2019 5:23:41 PM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

I'm printing my silver foil labels with HP envy photo 7100 series and I've had no problems. So i go to print labels for all of my products and end up wasting over 70 sheets of foil. I went to grab them from the printer and it looks like my printer was out of ink, I even put new ink just to make sure. The first 15 sheets were perfect and the last 70 sheets look horrible. I've got pics to attach. The printer prints normal with regular paper, and with OLO clear matte, but for whatever reason, it no longer prints well with the silver foil. It confuses me because it's been fine print on the material for weeks and all the sudden, it look so bad, please help!

http://sozocandles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG_19291-e1553894188182.jpg

Foil labels, good and not so good
#2 Posted : 3/30/2019 3:32:19 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. That is strange that it suddenly started printing different. Can you go through the diagnostics to clean the print head for your printer? Can you try step #10 at the link below to see if it improves the results?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05551101

What happens when you change the printer settings to a different print quality setting (see step #5 at the link above)? Do you notice a difference?

Let me know and we will continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 4/1/2019 11:23:39 AM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

Thanks for your response Dave,

I did clean the clean the print head before I posted to the forum. I gave it another shot and cleaned them twice. They come out perfect. I print my designed template one regular paper and it looks perfect, but when I put in the silver foil, it prints fade and blotchy again. I attached the picture, I printed out the wrong file for that specific label, but the printing still looks really bad. I also printed on my white gloss OL421WG and to worked great.

I don't understand why it worked properly for weeks and suddenly stops. We are in the process of rebranding all of our products but it all hinges on printing of foil. Are there any other troubleshooting tip?

Thanks,
Chris

#4 Posted : 4/1/2019 11:55:12 AM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

So I've also have an Espon printer that I got out of my storage unit and cleaned the print heads and aligned everything. I put in the foil sheets and they still are printing out poorly. I do have to ask.....Is there a chance I was sent silver foil for laser rather than inkjet? I'm not sure what else it could be if both inkjet printers are printing poorly but they print all my other inkjet labels correctly?

#5 Posted : 4/1/2019 2:12:36 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
You mentioned that some sheets are printing fine and other sheets are exhibiting print quality issues. Are they all coming from the same package of labels? Can you provide the lot number that's printed on the label on the package?

If the labels are coming from multiple packages can you provide lot numbers for each package,specifying which lot numbers are working and which are not?

I can use the lot number information to see exactly what we shipped to you and if there were any other similar issues reported by other customers.

There are potentially some other settings to adjust that may improve the print results but I'd like to take a look at the lot information first.
#6 Posted : 4/4/2019 10:44:42 AM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

The first several sheets were some samples I ordered to test.

I ordered a case of 250 sheets and the lot# is 1347805-91021130

As I mentioned earlier, the samples printed perfectly and the first 20 sheets or so printed perfectly.....Unfortunately, I lost about 80 sheets when I went to get them off the printer and I saw the sudden drop off in quality. I've used the silver sheets in two inkjet printers and they both print out poorly.

#7 Posted : 4/4/2019 1:52:21 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

It's very strange that the labels printed fine through a small portion of the package and then experienced a degradation in print quality.

I was able to locate your order based on the lot number information and noticed that you received product OL5375SI on this order as well - the 2" circles in the silver foil for inkjet. Have you attempted printing on these labels yet? If so, did you experience the same issues or did they print successfully?

The two items were produced from different raw material batches on two different dates. I'm attempting to determine if there is something potentially wrong with one specific batch, or if you're experiencing issues regardless of which silver product you're attempting to print.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide.
#8 Posted : 4/4/2019 3:23:31 PM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

So the Cactus Blossom label was one of the originals that printed correctly. The Sweet Tobacco was printed today on hp7100. It doesn't look horrible like the previous labels but compared to the Cactus Blossom there are some clear quality issues. I zoomed in and you can see how splotchy the sweet tobacco is. I did print on the 2" labels and they do look pretty good. Better than the Sweet Tobacco but not as rich, dark as the cactus blossom.

#9 Posted : 4/4/2019 4:59:06 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Thank you for providing the photos and additional details. Based on the information you've provided I believe that there could be an issue isolated to a portion of the specific lot of rectangle labels you received. There haven't been any other complaints associated with this specific lot, but it's possible that there was an inconsistent coat weight on the ink jet top coating that affected only a portion of the lot that you received. That could potentially explain why you noticed a difference in print quality within the same package of labels.

There is one thing worth trying that may improve the printing results that you're experiencing. Have you tried adjusting the material type setting within your printer options? The photo or glossy paper setting on your printer will provide the best print quality on this type of label material. If you're still using the plain paper or default paper type setting it may be worth making the adjustment and printing a few test sheets to see if the issue resolves itself.

If making the adjustment resolves your print quality issue we'll be happy to replace the sheets that you lost due to poor print quality. If the adjustment does not resolve the issue then that further establishes that there is likely an issue with the specific lot of labels you received. Either way, one of our customer service representatives will be happy to assist you in resolving the issue.

Please just let me know and I'll have someone reach out to you for assistance.
#10 Posted : 4/16/2019 9:49:22 PM(EST)
BorderlandCandles

United States

Sorry for the late response.

Yes please have someone reach out to me. I recently printed on a silver foil I ordered to test the printing and it printed perfectly, so I'm convinced it's something to do with the lot. Thank you for your time.
#11 Posted : 4/17/2019 7:56:10 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

One of our customer service representatives will be giving you a call today to investigate further and assist with the issue. If there's anything else we can do in the meantime please just let me know.