Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/5/2019 10:50:16 PM(EST)
honsol

United States

I was wondering if the material for the clear matte sticker paper changed since the publishing of this guide (https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/sticker-paper-cut-settings.htm)?
I've tried the settings listed on this guide, and no matter what settings I adjusted to, I couldn't get the kiss cut that I wanted. I was wondering if the materials for the sticker paper changes since the guide was written?

#2 Posted : 8/6/2019 8:10:47 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'll be happy to look into this for you. Which cutting machine are you using to kiss cut your sticker paper?
#3 Posted : 8/11/2019 4:30:36 AM(EST)
QuiltDee

United States

Honsol, Wondering what kind of machine your using?

Josh - I"m wondering the same thing! I"ve used your paper before and loved it. But I just got a new shipment in last week and tonight when trying to kiss cut them the machine is cutting all the way through them even on the lowest settings. I'm using a Silhouette Cameo 3. I never had a problem with my paper before doing this.

#4 Posted : 8/11/2019 4:32:23 AM(EST)
QuiltDee

United States

Forgot to say I was having more problems with the white matte labels, but I had to lower my setting for the clear matte as well.
#5 Posted : 8/12/2019 10:25:53 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

QuiltDee -

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you've encountered and I'll be happy to assist however I can.

The supplier for the backing of the standard white matte and the clear matte inkjet materials discontinued the liners for these products over the past few months. The facestock and adhesive for both materials remain exactly the same, but we were placed in a situation where we were forced to locate a new supplier for the backing on each of these materials. The new liners being used on these products were tested extensively, both in day-to-day printing applications as well as with a variety of different cutting machines and blades.

We update the list of suggested cut settings whenever there is a need for adjustments:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/sticker-paper-cut-settings.htm

The most recent adjustments were made last week, specifically to the clear matte inkjet settings. After seeing your feedback this morning I asked the individual who operates our cutting machines to do some testing on both the standard white matte and clear matte inkjet materials to confirm that we had the proper kiss cut settings listed. She was able to successfully kiss cut the label materials, but did specify that brand new blades may perform differently and need to be "worn in" to some degree before performing as expected. We have sets of brand new blades on the way to do some additional testing on our end.

We're happy to continue looking into this for you, but we'll need some additional details in an effort to better understand what may be causing the issue to occur. What type of blade are you using? How long have you been using the blade? Any additional information that you can provide would be extremely helpful.
#6 Posted : 8/12/2019 10:56:28 AM(EST)
QuiltDee

United States

Thank you so much for the information and checking your setting chart. I really appreciate that, because I used that as a start!

I am using a silhouette cameo 3 and the blade I was using was the autoblade.

The autoblade I was using has cut about 200 sheets of label paper and about 10 paper stock sheets.

I have nothing to compare for previous blade how they worked because this is my first machine. I just know I cut the first 150 or so on older sticker paper from online labels (purchased maybe spingtime) and didn't have a problem with the blade cutting all the way through. The last 40 or so sheets were from new sticker paper (both clear and white) I had a terrible time with it cutting through - even with the setting turned down as low as things could go, I had a 1 on the dial wheel, speed 4, force 1. At this setting it din't cut through all the stickers but did in many spots. If I moved the force up to 2 I had a lot of cut through.

I"m not sure how long a blade is considered "new" or not broken in :). But like I said I've cut about a total of 200 sheets so far.

Thank you and I will keep an eye on this post for any further updates or information you find out.

I"m sorry for this situation, and the need for new backing paper. I LOVED the paper from you guys before. Jury is out currently on this new batch.

Dawn
#7 Posted : 8/12/2019 11:09:03 AM(EST)
QuiltDee

United States

I forgot to mention the problem was much more apparent with the white matte paper then the clear matte inkjet paper.

#8 Posted : 8/12/2019 11:45:18 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Thanks for all of the additional details. I've passed the information on to the person who handles all of our cutting machines and will let you know if we're able to find any potential troubleshooting tips that may improve your results.
#9 Posted : 8/13/2019 1:48:05 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

We received brand new sets of blades today for testing. With a brand new autoblade we did see consistently deeper cuts when compared to our autoblade with significantly more miles on it.

We also tested brand new ratchet blades and premium blades. When used with the settings specified on our cut settings article both of these blades worked perfectly for kiss cuts on the standard white matte sticker paper fresh out of the box.

While testing we did discover a hack that may provide useful with this material until your autoblade breaks in a bit more. With the brand new autoblade installed, we changed the blade type within the software from autoblade to ratchet blade and used the recommended ratchet blade settings from our site. Using these settings the cuts were consistently less deep, resulting in much more reliable kiss cuts. You may want to try this method on a few sheets before purchasing different blades.

I'm sorry again for the issues you've run into. We're consistently looking for ways to improve our products and processes and your feedback has been extremely valuable. If we come up with any other possible solutions I'll certainly let you know. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us with any additional information or questions.
#10 Posted : 8/13/2019 11:49:38 PM(EST)
QuiltDee

United States

Josh, thank you SO MUCH! Thank you for the hints and tricks. I can certainly try these this weekend - I would never have thought to set the autoblade to rachet blade (as I said I'm new to the machine).

I really appreciate all you help and the diligence of the company to look into these matters!

Thank you so much!
Dawn