Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/26/2016 1:57:29 PM(EST)
xwxjackiexwx

United States

I'm printing on the white matte removable labels with an inkjet HP Envy 4500 printer and the black ink just loves to smear all over the place. I am printing stickers and need the colors to be bright and vivid so I set the settings to "best". With it set to "best" the colors are great and all, but whenever I touch any of the black lines it smears all over everything. If I print on "normal" it doesn't smear nearly as much, but then the quality isn't there; there are clear lines in the artwork. I originally had the paper settings to "auto" but then changed it to "plain paper" I haven't had enough time to really test the results. I think it may have smeared less than "auto" but that's from a quick exam. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of settings I should use to stop it from smearing? I just tried ordering some weatherproof labels to see if those will help but I still have 75 pages of these matte ones I have to use up.
#2 Posted : 8/26/2016 3:06:19 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Some printer models have a tendency to over-saturate certain materials when printing with the "Best" quality setting, especially if your artwork consists of a heavily concentrated black ink. Have you tried changing the material type setting within the printer options? Adjusting the material type setting to "Photo" or "Glossy" will often provide a more vibrant print, even when using the "Normal" quality setting.

I hope this helps. If you should require any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 7/13/2018 11:30:48 AM(EST)
pharmucho

United States

I have the same issue with my HP Envy 4520
#4 Posted : 7/14/2018 7:17:17 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pharmucho Go to Quoted Post
I have the same issue with my HP Envy 4520

Pharmucho - I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I checked your account and I see you requested samples of our white matte weatherproof inkjet labels, white gloss weatherproof inkjet labels, and our standard glossy white inkjet labels.

Is the issue impacting all 3 of the materials that you requested? When you are getting the smearing, are you noticing that all the colors that you are printing are smearing or is it only a specific colors (like Black) that are smearing? Have you tried different ink outputting settings?

Let us know some more details and we can work to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 7/16/2018 8:33:28 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Pharmucho - To add to Dave's response, adjusting the material type setting can have a significant positive impact on smearing issues as well. Using the default or plain paper setting will sometimes lead to ink that is susceptible to smearing when printing on glossy or plastic film surfaces. Adjusting the paper type setting to Photo or Glossy should improve the print durability on these types of surfaces.

If you've made these adjustments and are still experiencing issues please just let us know and we'll be happy to continue looking into it for you.
#6 Posted : 9/11/2019 11:33:55 AM(EST)
DJ_Balogh

United States

Hello,

I decided to post here so not to duplicate this issue elsewhere.

I purchased OL996WG, OL1102WG & OL2682WG Inkjet Only labels, and need to print black labels for each.

I am using a HP Envy 4520 and use their Instant Ink service, as well as their HP Smart app for printing.I have also tried printing from Adobe without success.

I attempted various print settings and the smearing issue is a major concern at this time.

Best quality - label looks exactly as intended and look as desired on our product. After 48 hours the black ink can still be smeared with relatively minimal effort. We cannot ship product to our customers with this being an active issue.

Automatic quality (setting the printer to Photo paper and the HP Smart App to Photo Paper) - No smearing, and though the quality itself is not bad, the black labels appear to be faded and grey. This defeats the purpose, as we designed black labels to be applied on black products.

I've attached an image for reference.
I'm at a cross-roads and not sure what to do next. I've invested a lot into these labels and did not expect them to experience this much trouble printing black.

Label differences

Edited by user Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:37:19 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#7 Posted : 9/11/2019 4:48:06 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

DJ_Balogh -

Printing a full black background with a desktop inkjet printer can prove challenging. Large amounts of concentrated black ink have a tendency to over-saturate the top-coating used on most glossy inkjet materials when printing with the default printer settings. Selecting the "Best" quality option will typically result in bolder colors, but also tends to exacerbate the over-saturation issue.

The biggest key to improving the print durability and reducing smearing and smudging is the paper type setting. The default paper type setting for the HP ENVY 4520 is Plain Paper. Plain Paper settings typically output a higher volume of ink since uncoated paper products are very absorbent and require more ink output to produce vibrant colors on that type of material. Using the Plain Paper setting on a glossy material may result in a more vibrant printed image, but it will likely also over-saturate the glossy top-coat - leading to a greater chance of encountering smearing issues.

Selecting the Other Photo Inkjet Papers setting is the best way to ensure that smearing won't be a problem. This setting will make sure that the correct amount of ink is being applied to the glossy top-coating in order to avoid smearing and smudging. As you mentioned in your post, you may see a slightly duller appearance for black backgrounds when compared directly to prints using the Plain Paper setting that is over-saturating the glossy top-coating. Unfortunately, this is simply a limitation of the printer model combined with the material type and design featuring a full black background.

We keep a wide variety of different inkjet and laser printer models on hand for testing purposes, including the HP ENVY 4520 that you're currently using. I spent some time this afternoon print testing black labels on the white gloss inkjet material in hopes of finding some possible suggestions to provide to you.

Here's what I found:

- Using the default Plain Paper setting will provide a truer black background color, but will also result in smearing no matter what.
- Using the Other Photo Inkjet Papers setting will result in print that cannot be smudged, with the faded black background that you reported in your post.
- Using the Other Photo Inkjet Papers setting and manually adjusting the quality setting to "Best" will provide a darker black background that cannot be smudged, but it still won't quite match the depth of the black color possible on the over-saturated Plain Paper prints that are prone to smearing and smudging.

If you've tried the combination of the Other Photo Inkjet Papers setting with the "Best" quality setting and are still not satisfied with the print quality, you could potentially use a clear protective spray like Krylon Preserve-It to "seal" the labels after printing with the Plain Paper setting. This should add durability to the print, while allowing you to maintain the darker black background achieved by over-saturating the material. You can view some tips on applying the Krylon Preserve-It spray in the article linked to below:

https://www.onlinelabels...ke-labels-waterproof.htm

It's important to note that the spray will not make the white gloss inkjet material "waterproof" as it's still a paper based material that isn't intended to hold up to consistent contact with moisture. It should dramatically improve the durability of the print though, and should also provide some protection from incidental contact with moisture.

If for any reason you decide you're unable to use the label material you've purchased we'll be happy to accept it back for a refund on any unused material. You can initiate a product return by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.