Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/10/2020 5:34:55 PM(EST)
Greywicklane

United States

Can anyone recommend a good printer. Which is better, inkjet or laser?
#2 Posted : 6/10/2020 6:24:48 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Choosing which type of printer is best for you will ultimately come down to your application and how you'll be using the printed labels.

In the past, inkjet technology had a reputation for producing better image quality when compared directly to laser printing. Laser printers have come a long way though, and will generally produce similar results when compared to the average inkjet printer now. An expensive, high end inkjet printer may still provide the best results in terms of photo quality image reproduction, but the difference is minimal when comparing average desktop inkjet and laser printer models to one another.

Where laser printers provide a major benefit is print durability. Because laser printers use toner rather than liquid-based ink the print results tend to be much more durable overall, especially in direct contact with moisture. Of course, we do sell weatherproof label materials for both inkjet and laser printers, so if you do need moisture resistance you'll be well covered either way with these material types.

Laser printers tend to cost a bit more upfront and the cost for toner cartridges tends to be more expensive than ink cartridges. These differences tend to even out though based on differences in print economy. Toner cartridges typically last a lot longer than the average inkjet cartridge. If you're printing at high volumes you may find that laser printers are more economical despite the higher upfront cost.

At this point, my preferred laser printers are the HP Color LaserJet Pro series. For inkjet printing I've had a lot of recent success using the Canon PIXMA line of printers.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 6/29/2020 4:08:51 PM(EST)
robins.egg.herbal

Hi there,

I'm noticing that my inkjet printer is creating blurry prints on labels, regardless of the high quality files that I'm attempting to print.
I'm assuming that a color laser printer would produce sharper, truer results. Could you please recommend a color laser printer that can meet this need, with a price tag under $300?

Thank you!
-Rebecca
#4 Posted : 6/30/2020 9:18:34 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: robins.egg.herbal Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

I'm noticing that my inkjet printer is creating blurry prints on labels, regardless of the high quality files that I'm attempting to print.
I'm assuming that a color laser printer would produce sharper, truer results. Could you please recommend a color laser printer that can meet this need, with a price tag under $300?

Thank you!
-Rebecca

Before shopping for a new printer you may want to try adjusting some of the settings on your inkjet printer that could potentially provide improved print results. Most printers are set as default to print on plain white copy paper. Adjusting the material type setting to a glossy or photo type setting can have a significant effect on print quality and durability.

If you've tried adjusting these settings and are still unhappy with the print results then you may want to look into a laser printer. Finding a good laser printer for less than $300 can be tough. The upfront cost on laser printers is typically a bit higher than their inkjet counterparts, but you tend to get much better print economy over time. I've always had the most success using the HP LaserJet series of printers. There are quite a few models available, with new models arriving every year. If you check on Amazon you should find some HP LaserJet models that are near your price point. You'll just want to make sure that the model you order is capable of printing in color and isn't listed as monochrome or black print only.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: robins.egg.herbal
#5 Posted : 7/1/2020 4:01:54 PM(EST)
labelmaster

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, when printing make sure that you have a resolution of at least 240 ppi. I have an inkjet printer also make sure the settings are correct depending on the paper that is being used as well as the quality of the print.
 1 user thanked labelmaster for this useful post: robins.egg.herbal
#6 Posted : 7/20/2020 11:24:47 PM(EST)
bcbm

Canada

We use the Epson ET 2720. We made this switch because regular ink cartridges was costing an arm and a leg. This printer comes with 4 bottles of ink (red, yellow, blue, black) and has made a tremendous difference in print quality as well as the cost savings. We are still using the same bottles it came with over a year later. If you are purchasing nice labels, get a decent quality printer.