Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 9/14/2020 11:24:30 AM(EST)
lmn

Does anyone know how to label a bulbous bottle? think upside down light bulb. it has a taper and we used the online taper tool but were still getting flagging. Any ideas are appreciated.
#2 Posted : 9/15/2020 9:21:50 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
The bulbous bottle shape is definitely a tricky one to label. Our tapered label generator is designed for true conical objects. Any container that is irregularly tapered or features a thinner neck likely won't generate a working label when using the tapered label tool.

I've been searching Google Images for examples of bulbous bottles with labels on them, but these types of bottles vary in shape and size so much that there doesn't seem to be a standard method for labeling them. It appears that some of these labels are applied during the manufacturing of the product itself, likely through advanced methods like screen printing or shrink sleeves. These methods are ideal for irregular shapes, but are not typically possible outside of manufacturing facilities.

I wasn't able to find many examples of bulbous bottles labeled by hand. My best advice would be to go with the smallest label you're capable of using and to select the area on the bottle that appears to be the flattest or most gently tapered. The larger a label is the more likely you are to be affected by the folding and flagging you're experiencing. If you're labeling the direct center of the bulbous shape it will be difficult to avoid the flagging. While looking through these images I've noticed that this bottle style typically has a more gently tapered area between the neck and the bulbous body. That might be a good area to experiment with placing a label.

If you're willing to consider an "outside the box" method to labeling these bottles, you might want to think about hanging a printable tag around the neck of the bottle. We sell a small selection of printable tags on our white cardstock material that have been very popular with customers who are labeling irregular shaped containers. You can view our selection of printable tags at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/uses/printable-tags

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.

1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: lmn