Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/4/2020 10:56:49 AM(EST)
KHeidtbrink

United States

Hi, my old Pixma quit, and so I bought cheaper Pixma the TS3322 and printed labels they looked great then they smeared and won't dry, I try to adjust the photo options to glossy or photo, but then get an error that the right media isn't chosen, it does not print anything larger that 5x7 as a photo so I can't pick photo paper or 8.5 x11, I had no idea of this until after I purchased the printer and set it up, is there any way to know before hand if a printer will print with the glossy option or photo on a 8.5 x11, do I need to make sure the printer will print 8x10 photos before purchasing? also do I have to have borderless printing for it to work with the labels? Can you recommend a pixma that for sure works with labels? Ive bought 2 printers that I have to return because of this issue and its very frustrating.
Thanks!
Kiley
#2 Posted : 11/4/2020 12:52:57 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you've experienced. Adjusting your material type setting to a photo or glossy setting will almost certainly resolve the issue, and I believe that you should be able to accomplish this using your Pixma TS3322 printer model.

Most Canon printers come with a selection of Commonly Used Settings. This is usually the very first option displayed when opening the printer settings. If you select the Photo Printing option from the Commonly Used Settings section this will typically update both your material type setting and the paper size setting, which I suspect is what you're dealing with currently.

Instead, make sure the default Standard setting is selected in the Commonly Used Settings section, and then look for individual options for Media Type and Printer Paper Size. Choose one of the photo or glossy options from the Media Type drop down, and then confirm that the standard Letter option is selected in the Printer Paper Size drop down. This should allow you to use the photo and glossy material settings with any paper size rather than being forced into one of their preselected photo size options.

If your printer has an option for borderless printing I would leave that disabled. Using the borderless printing option can make small adjustments to the page scaling and negatively affect print alignment in some cases. You definitely don't need the borderless printing option to print on label material.

Please try making these adjustments and let me know if you're still experiencing issues. I'm pretty confident this will resolve the problem, but if you still need printer recommendations at that point I'll be happy to look into that for you.
#3 Posted : 11/4/2020 2:31:33 PM(EST)
KHeidtbrink

United States

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, yes I had already tried that but did try again and still get the same error code of 4102 that the media type and paper size are not set correctly, its like the software knows what the printer is made to print and won't work on anything else. It is really the dumbest thing ever, makes no sense to me why they would make something like this, all printers this day in age should be able to print on any media type, paper size you want!! I have no other ideas on what to do, but to take it back. I wonder how many printers get taken back because of this very reason, makes no sense.
#4 Posted : 11/4/2020 4:13:34 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I did some additional research based on the error code 4102 that you mentioned in your last response. This seems to be a pretty common issue based on the number of posts submitted on Canon's support forums. You can view threads related to error code 4102 at the link below:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=4102

From reading through a few of these threads it seems that Canon's official answer is that some of their budget models limit the paper size options for glossy photo paper printing. One thread in particular mentioned needing a more advanced Pixma printer model to allow for glossy and photo printing on 8.5" x 11" sheets.

I took a look through Canon's list of current printer models and the Pixma TS6320, Pixma TS8320, Pixma TS9520, and Pixma TS9521C printer models look like they may support the functionality you're looking for. I haven't had a chance to test any of these printer models myself, so you may want to post on Canon's forums for feedback before making a new purchase. I can say that my Pixma TS9120 lets me use the photo and glossy material settings with any paper size. That model has since been discontinued, but if you can track one down I do have significant experience with it and have always been very happy with its performance on our various inkjet label materials.

If you'd like to check on the Canon forums for information about a printer that meets your needs you'll find the link below:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/bd-p/faxing

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#5 Posted : 11/4/2020 9:19:13 PM(EST)
KHeidtbrink

United States

Wow, thank you so much that helps a lot!