Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/18/2021 8:09:08 PM(EST)
printeruser123

Hello! I"m having 2 issues with the Weatherproof polyester 8.5x11 sheets I just purchased.

1. I can't seem to get a clear print on them. My design prints sharp and clear on regular paper, but not on these labels. I've tried about 20 different setting combinations. I use an HP LaserJet Pro M454dw.

2. These labels do not withstand water. I am using them for essential oil roller bottles and the second they come into contact with water they peel right off. I put it in a glass of water and the label actually pulled itself completely off.

Any idea how to fix these issues?
#2 Posted : 8/19/2021 5:05:12 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing and I'll be happy to assist however I can.

We've extensively tested our weatherproof polyester material using a wide range of laser printers, including a few different HP Color LaserJet Pro models. I haven't had an opportunity to use the Color LaserJet Pro M454dw but the material was tested with the Color LaserJet Pro M452dn, which should be a very similar printer model in terms of functionality and print quality. I typically had my best results using the default quality setting with one of the heavier weight glossy photo settings. On my printer model the setting is listed as HP Color Laser Photo Glossy 220g. If this exact setting isn't available on your printer model I'd look for the one that comes closest to that type of description. Some trial and error may be necessary to dial in the best settings for your artwork, but those are the options that worked best for me.

If you're not seeing improvements to the print quality after adjusting the material type and quality settings there are a couple different maintenance options that will potentially improve print quality as well.

- Try running a cleaning page from the LCD screen on the printer model itself first. This will ensure that there's no debris or dust contributing to print quality issues moving forward.
- Check to ensure that the EconoMode setting on your printer is disabled
- Calibrate the printer from the LCD screen on the printer. Color calibration optimizes print quality and can help resolve problems related to blurry graphics, shadows, misaligned colors and other print quality issues.
- Try running the material from a different tray if your printer model has multiple trays

Printing onto a polyester film surface is a bit more demanding compared to plain copy paper. It's possible that some of these maintenance settings may be necessary to get the best results on the weatherproof polyester material.

Regarding the adhesive issues, are the labels being applied before or after the roller bottles are filled with the essential oils? Is there any possibility that oil residue is on the surface of the bottles? That would definitely run the risk of potentially degrading the adhesive quality in water. We've adhesive tested on a wide range of container and surface types and have typically seen excellent results in direct contact with moisture, even when submerged in water. We do have a label application guide available at the link below that provides some useful tips for improving the adhesion of your labels:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/how-to-apply-labels

The two most important tips referenced in this guide are:

- Ensuring that the surface of the container is clean. Debris, dust, or residue of any kind can potentially compromise the strength of the adhesive.
- When applying the labels, place the center down of the label down first and then apply even pressure outward. This will reduce surface tension, which can be a major factor in adhesive issues.

If you've tried these suggestions and are still experiencing issues then you may want to consider trying our weatherproof vinyl material. This material features a more aggressive adhesive that was designed to withstand the rigors of drum labeling and marine applications. You can view the product at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol3536lv

If you'd like to try samples before placing an order you can enter a request below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know. We'll be happy to assist however we can.

Edited by user Friday, August 20, 2021 8:00:13 AM(EST)  | Reason: Fixed hyperlinks in post

#3 Posted : 8/27/2021 3:51:29 PM(EST)
valleygraphicsprinting@gmail.com

United States

If your weatherproof poly labels aren't printing bold enough or you are getting a poor image adjust the paper thickness to "thick one"
#4 Posted : 8/30/2021 9:41:20 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: valleygraphicsprinting@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
If your weatherproof poly labels aren't printing bold enough or you are getting a poor image adjust the paper thickness to "thick one"

Thanks so much for this tip! We've had similar experiences on our end as well. Adjusting to a heavier paper or media type setting can do wonders for the print quality on the weatherproof polyester material. It's definitely the first thing to try before moving to more advanced settings or maintenance functions.

Thanks again for posting!