Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/20/2021 2:36:11 PM(EST)
mattw

United States

The ink from my brother printer mfc-L8900CDW just flakes off the weatherproof polyester labels. What should I do to fix this? It also flakes off the weatherproof silver foil. I have tons of these label almost 1000 sheets of each. Need to fix this or return unused product. Please help me.
#2 Posted : 8/21/2021 5:33:44 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Mattw -
I'm sorry to hear about the issue. The Brother MFC-L8900CDW is a laser printer and uses toner.

In the event that you are experiencing issues with the toner from your laser printer rubbing off or not fusing well to the label material, we recommend changing the media type settings on your printer to “Labels” when printing onto this material. You can find the media type settings in the printer dialog box that normally pops up when you print a document. Changing this setting should help resolve the issue. Toner fusion issues on laser printers are indicative of the fuser unit not hitting the right temperature to fuse the toner to the material.

If changing the media type to "Labels" does not resolve the issue, we can test a few other options in your media type settings to resolve the issue. Give that a try and let us know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 8/23/2021 11:46:03 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
As Dave mentioned, adjusting your media type setting to a heavier option will typically resolve this type of issue. The manual for the Brother MFC-L8900CDW lists a few additional suggestions that may improve your results as well:

- Make sure the two gray levers inside the back cover are in the up position.
- Look for a setting in the print options called "Improve Toner Fixing" and enable it.
- If you're still experiencing poor toner adhesion when using the Labels media type setting, try the other heavy media type settings like Glossy Paper, Thick Paper or Thicker Paper.
- If you're using the draw tray to load the labels, try using the multi-purpose tray (MP Tray) instead. This allows for a simpler feed path through the printer and can have a positive impact on toner fusion.

I've provided a link to the printer manual below in cause you need to reference any of the details mentioned above:

https://download.brother.com/welcome/doc100693/cv_mfcl8900cdw_use_oug_a.pdf

I located most of the information related to troubleshooting toner fusion problems on page 576 in the manual.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.