Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 5/11/2022 11:39:27 AM(EST)
R Pedacter

Good morning,
I am trying to print labels that have a picture for the background. My issue is that some pictures print out fine, others do not. I seem to get a white line on my label, either on the left/right side or the bottom. I have taken over this program for the owner of the company and she is not that computer savvy. I was wondering if there is a certain dimension or some option I am missing? Do I need to resize the pics that are in the catalog? I am trying to find an easy solution here, there are over 400 products in this place and each one has approx. 6-10 different sizes and labels etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
#2 Posted : 5/12/2022 9:26:38 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. We'll do everything we can to assist. Based on your description it sounds like you may be dealing with an issue related to your printer's non-printable margins. Every printer on the market today has a fixed, maximum printable area. The area between where the ink or toner stops and the edge of the sheet is called the "non-printable margins."

Non-printable margins exist to protect the mechanical parts inside of the printer. Essentially, the printer is limiting the range of the ink or toner to keep it from getting into areas of the printer that could potentially cause mechanical failure. This non-printable area is almost always fixed and not adjustable. This can cause the white line appearing when attempting to print labels with very narrow margins on the left/right or top/bottom of the sheet.

We have a tool available that allows you to measure the non-printable margins for your specific printer model. You can access the tool at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/printer-margins

If your printer's non-printable margins are larger than the margins on the label sheets you're using, that will definitely result in the white area creeping on to the label. Unfortunately, there isn't an adjustment that can be made as it is a limitation of the printer model itself. Most customer's choose to find a similar sized label with larger margins that will account for the non-printable margins of their specific printer model.

If non-printable margins aren't the issue, our printer alignment guide has a number of suggestions that should improve alignment when printing your labels. You can view the printer alignment guide at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/printer-alignment-guide

The best thing I can recommend would be to contact our customer service team for assistance. They'll be able to access your account to see which products you're using, provide specific troubleshooting techniques, and recommend other label configurations that may fit your needs better if necessary. You can reach our customer service team by calling 1-888-575-2235, or by submitting a support ticket at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 5/12/2022 4:18:56 PM(EST)
R Pedacter

Thank you for your response Josh,
After doing a bit of playing around, and talking with HP (where we got the laser for this task) I do not think that Margin Printing is the issue. The laser we have has specific settings for printing labels etc.
We use 3 different labels for all of our products, mainly anyway. The ol950, 600 & 223. If I have the same picture for the background of a label it can vary from label to label. I have found with certain pictures I have to expand the pic way beyond the safety zone, even past the label itself and the problem seems to (sort of) correct itself. So in the end, is there a specific file size for each pic, for each label size? I wish I could upload a pic or two for you, how do I do that in here?
Thanks in advance for any of your help.
#4 Posted : 5/12/2022 4:53:08 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for providing the additional details. Both the OL600 and OL950 sheet configurations feature left and right margins that are less than 0.25", which can result in issues with non-printable margins when attempting to print all the way to the edge of the labels on certain printer models. Because the margins are smaller than 0.25", both items do carry the following warning on our site regarding non-printable margins:

"This product has one or more margins that may be unprintable because the margins are less than 0.25". If you intend to print to the edge of the label, we recommend you check your printer's capability."

The exact non-printable margins do vary between printer models. The best way to proceed would be to submit a support ticket at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx

This form will allow you to attach images so that one of our customer service experts can better help you identify and troubleshoot the issue. To attach an image, please just click on the "Add a file attachment" link directly below the "Message" field on the form at the link above.