Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/18/2020 1:30:41 PM(EST)
Candy Crave

Canada

We are progressing along on our colour label project (labels on clear acrylic hard plastic cubes for candy) at this point, our test results have not been great using our Brother laser printer. It has had substantial use and is probably not up to the job, quality-wise.

The paper we will be test printing on is;
OL177WR - Removable White Matte (Laser and Inkjet)
OL177WS - White Gloss (Laser Only)
OL177LP - Weatherproof Polyester Laser (Laser Only)

I noticed in the past you have recommended the HP Color LaserJet M252dw and HP Color LaserJet M452dn. These don’t seem to be available on the HP Canada site anymore.

Can you recommend a couple of newer models of laser printers that would work well on the above sticker/label papers and give a professional result? We will be cutting the labels with a Cricut machine if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

#2 Posted : 2/19/2020 8:22:02 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Shaun,

I've used a ton of different printer models from the HP Color LaserJet series over the years and have always been very pleased with the print results across our entire range of laser printable products. I'm still using the two printer models you mentioned in your post daily, both for printing labels and for general document printing. They've been remarkably consistent in the print quality and durability they've provided.

I tend to mention those two printer models so frequently due to my extreme familiarity with them, but based on my history with HP printers I'd recommend anything from their Color LaserJet series. They tend to release new models every year, and have a wide range of options available at different prices and feature sets. While I don't get the opportunity to test every new model released, we've gotten very positive feedback from customers using their newer printer models with our laser label materials.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 2/19/2020 2:54:06 PM(EST)
Candy Crave

Canada

Josh:

Thanks for getting back to me. It looks like the "newer" corresponding HP models to the M252dw and M452dn, would be the M254dw and M454dw. My question is; In terms of the M252dw and M452dn (about double the cost) you use, what are the main benefits you see, if any, of the more expensive model? Ex: Better printing quality (would make sense, it costs more)?

Thanks,

Shaun
#4 Posted : 2/19/2020 4:38:33 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I just took a quick look at the printer specs for the two models you referenced. According to the specs the print quality should be identical between the HP Color LaserJet Pro M254 and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M454. The main difference between the two printers comes down to print speed and volume.

The specs for the M254 state a print speed of 21 pages per minute while the specs for the M454 state a print speed of 28 pages per minute.

The M254 can handle up to 2,500 sheets per month compared to 4,000 sheets per month for the M454.

If you don't need the upgrade in speed and volume you should be totally safe to buy the cheaper model.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#5 Posted : 2/19/2020 6:35:52 PM(EST)
Candy Crave

Canada

Thanks, Josh. I was mostly concerned with the print quality. I don't really care about speed because the printer is only going to be used for making labels in relatively small quantities.
My major concern was print quality. If one was better than the other, then it would make sense to buy the one with better quality.

Thanks,

Shaun
#6 Posted : 7/23/2022 1:50:18 PM(EST)
charlenehughes

United Kingdom

I need to be able to make stickers of Al's quality. These actually wouldn't be for homebrew use.

Any info on the best printers and label sheets would be greatly appreciated!
#7 Posted : 7/25/2022 9:25:50 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: charlenehughes Go to Quoted Post
I need to be able to make stickers of Al's quality. These actually wouldn't be for homebrew use.

Any info on the best printers and label sheets would be greatly appreciated!

Ultimately, the most important factor involved with creating high-quality, professional looking labels is the artwork itself. As long as you're using high-resolution artwork, any of our label materials are capable of producing excellent results. If you're looking for something beyond the standard matte finish paper look, I'd recommend one of our glossy or weatherproof materials. Both are very popular choices with users that make customized stickers.

As far as printers go, most color printers on the market today are capable of producing professional looking results when coupled with high-quality artwork. For laser printers, I'm partial to the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers. For inkjet printing, I've had excellent results with the Canon PIXMA series. Whichever type of printer you decide to work with, just be sure that you're purchasing compatible label material. We offer glossy and weatherproof materials for both inkjet and laser printers, but you need to make sure you're purchasing the right type of material for your specific printer model.

We do offer free sample sheets if you'd like to try any of our materials before placing an order. To enter your sample request please visit the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#8 Posted : 3/19/2023 10:33:39 AM(EST)
Jems

United States

I tend to bring up those two printer types a lot since I know them so well, but based on my experience with HP printers, I'd suggest anything from their Color LaserJet line. They frequently introduce new models each year and offer a broad variety of choices with various price points and feature sets. I may not have the chance to test every new model that is introduced, but customers who have used their more recent printer models with our laser label materials have given us extremely favourable feedback.
#9 Posted : 6/15/2023 8:37:36 AM(EST)
Jems

United States

At this time, we are making headway on our colour label project (labels on clear acrylic hard plastic cubes for candy), but our test prints from our Brother laser printer haven't been fantastic. It has received a lot of use and is probably not up to the task in terms of quality.

#10 Posted : 6/15/2023 11:51:19 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello there! It's great to hear that you're making progress with your projects. I'm interested in helping you with your Brother printer. Could you please provide me with the model number and describe the quality issues you're experiencing? With this information, I'll be able to offer you some helpful tips to fix the problem. Thank you!
#11 Posted : 6/23/2023 6:14:59 PM(EST)
yogurtblueberry

United States

The best one I'd recommend is the Brother QL-800 - it's got awesome output, is relatively affordable, and the set-up is a breeze!
#12 Posted : 6/24/2023 6:04:08 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: yogurtblueberry Go to Quoted Post
The best one I'd recommend is the Brother QL-800 - it's got awesome output, is relatively affordable, and the set-up is a breeze!

Just an FYI - The Brother QL-800 is a small thermal printer that uses labels on rolls. It is not a laser printer and doesn't accept 8.5" x 11" sheets.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#13 Posted : 9/13/2023 7:05:17 AM(EST)
salmawisoky

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post
Shaun,

I've used a ton of different printer models from the HP Color LaserJet series over the years and have always been very pleased with the print results across our entire range of laser printable products. I'm still using the two printer models you mentioned in your post daily, both for printing labels and for general document printing. They've been remarkably consistent in the print quality and durability they've provided.

I tend to mention those two printer models so frequently due to my extreme familiarity with them, but based on my history with HP printers I'd recommend anything from their Color LaserJet series. They tend to release new models every year, and have a wide range of options available at different prices and feature sets. While I don't get the opportunity to test every new model released, we've gotten very positive feedback from customers using their newer printer models with our laser label materials.

Great suggestion.Thanks.
#14 Posted : 9/23/2023 2:47:19 AM(EST)
JustinJames

United States

Originally Posted by: Candy Crave Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Josh. I was mostly concerned with the print quality. I don't really care about speed because the printer is only going to be used for making labels in relatively small quantities.
My major concern was print quality. If one was better than the other, then it would make sense to buy the one with better quality.

Thanks,

Shaun

Its really impressive! Quality matter a lot!