Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/17/2022 11:19:28 AM(EST)
DBex

United States

We've been using the OL1546CL Clear Gloss Labels for years. We've also had the problem of ink flaking off these (and other) clear labels. Especially when there is a lot of ink coverage. Especially black and red.

We print these labels and apply them to round gel packs private labelled for our customers. It doesn't take much effort to rub or scratch the ink off. When they are applied to the gel packs is when we usually find out if the ink for that particularly print job. Black and red ink seems to scratch and flake off the easiest. I can take and easily scratch the ink with my finger nails. We've had customers call and complain about the ink coming off.

I have tried all the typical suggestions:
- Different paper settings including all the different heavy settings, label setting and transparency setting.
- I've moved printing labels from one of the draws to the manual bypass.
- I've had our copy machine repair people out and they've looked over the machine and find nothing wrong with it. They've watch me print these labels from the bypass trying using the different heavy paper settings.

No matter what I try, nothing really seems to fix this issue. I've gone into the print preferences and adjusted the black toner density slightly. This sometimes helps with the black ink flaking off, but its not a permanent solution since it doesn't always work and doesn't work for other colors.

Jobs are printed from Adobe Illustrator to the Canon Image Runner Advance C5535i. We have no issue with the ink flaking or scratching off the white gloss labels we print. Just the clear labels.

We don't have an issue with ink flaking if we print the clear labels on our HP2025 desktop printer. But this is an old printer and prints very slowly. Its not idea for the volume we've been doing. We are also trying to phase out the HP2025 and only use the Canon Image Runner for all labels.

Are there any suggestions or solutions I haven't tried for fixing this issue? Some hidden printer setting? Some setting in Adobe Illustrator?

Edited by user Monday, October 17, 2022 11:38:19 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 10/17/2022 12:21:44 PM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing print quality issues with our Clear Gloss Laser (CL) material. In most cases, you can prevent the toner from flaking off by adjusting the paper type setting to Labels, Cardstock, or Transparencies. Some printer models will offer various paper weight settings (gsm) as well.

After reviewing the manual for the Canon Image Runner Advance C5535i, it appears that there is an option to create a custom paper type in lieu of using a preset paper type. For the clear gloss, our Print Team typically uses a basis weight of 177 gsm for optimal print quality. When using a custom paper type setting with a heavy basis weight you should also use the manual feed tray for best results.

You can visit the link below for your printer's manual for more details on creating a custom paper type:

https://oip.manual.canon...ptype_mng.html#759_h1_01

I recommend starting with the suggested setting above, and then making small incremental changes to the weight if you're still experiencing flaking. I would also suggest printing with a single sheet or very small quantities until you're confident you've found the optimal settings.

Please let me know if any additional assistance is needed.
#3 Posted : 10/25/2022 12:51:16 AM(EST)
Lady

Flaking happened tome too
#4 Posted : 10/25/2022 10:03:50 AM(EST)
Jessica

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar issue. Flaking or smudging of laser toner is common, but easily resolved. With most laser printers, you should have a variety of paper type settings available in your print dialog box under Properties or Preferences. Using a thicker, heavier paper type like Labels, Cardstock, or Transparency can help improve the toner adhesion by slowly feeding the label sheets through the printer, providing more heat exposure from the fusing unit.

Would you be able to confirm the product you're currently using as well as your printer's make and model?

If you'd like direct assistance with any printing issues, you're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support Team at 888-575-2235 or by submitting a support ticket at the link below.

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx
#5 Posted : 11/10/2022 2:29:17 PM(EST)
DBex

United States

I got the login for the machine and set up a custom paper to 177 gsm that was suggested. The ink still flakes off the clear labels. There has to be a way to these labels on the machine without the ink flaking off. The ink doesn't flack off the white gloss labels.
#6 Posted : 11/10/2022 2:43:31 PM(EST)
Jessica

Thank you for following up on the results. I apologize that our recommendations did not resolve the issue. Since the white gloss materials are paper based and have a different thickness, they will perform differently in the printer compared to the polyester-based clear labels. Testing with different paper type settings is recommended.

Since your printer offers gsm settings, you may want to try continuing with incremental changes until you're able to resolve the toner flaking issue. I would also suggest printing with a single sheet or very small quantities until you've found the right settings for this material.