Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 9/4/2016 10:05:49 PM(EST)
suzee

United States

I ordered a few packs of glossy and matte labels to use on an HP Laser Jet Pro 200 printer. I never had a problem printing on any type of paper in the past but after trying numerous settings everything I print seems to fall right off the page with a light scratch. Its worse on the glossy but even on the matte which I bought to use for shipping labels I can easily scratch it off the page. Has anyone had this problem before with the laser paper and fixed it?
#2 Posted : 9/5/2016 12:13:18 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I checked our printer feedback survey results in regards to the HP Laser Jet Pro 200. We have a lot of surveys received from users who have this printer and it has very positive feedback on both our white matte and white gloss products. I do see a couple of surveys that mention that it is important to use the "Labels" setting in your media type options in order to get the best fusion of the toner on to the material.

Have you tried changing the media type to "Labels" when printing?

Let me know if you have tried that setting. If you have tried that setting and it is still failing it may be a case of your fusing unit on the machine starting to degrade. Is it an older printer?

I am happy to continue troubleshooting once I get some additional feedback from you.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#3 Posted : 9/5/2016 2:00:54 PM(EST)
suzee

United States

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should have mentioned that I have large areas of black, that is the main part that is coming off. I have tried it on the Label setting and even on draft quality the black is scratching off with my fingernail. I am trying to make circle labels but I tried my labels on the matte paper that I bought for shipping labels and it still scratches off. The only thing I was able to make with no issue was an actual shipping label on the matte paper.

My printer is about 1.5 years old and gets heavy use. I have no other problems printing and my labels come out great on my current paper which is a glossy solid sheet sticker paper from another company. I really want to use the online labels so I dont have to cut them out anymore. Is there any way to figure out if my fusing unit is bad?
#4 Posted : 9/5/2016 6:18:15 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I did some further research and found some interesting information on the HP LaserJet Pro 200 in regards to the way that the toner fuses. Here is information that I came across at http://tech.firstpost.com/reviews/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-mfp-m276nw-review-51667.html.

"The printer incorporates a great energy saving feature called HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology that turns the printer off when you don’t need it. Using this feature, you do not need to actually switch off the printer physically anymore. Simply fire a print command and the USB wake-up feature will power up the printer, print the document and shut down automatically. Another interesting feature on the energy saving mode is the fuser used in this printer—unlike conventional laser printers that keep the fuser switched on all the time to maintain the toner fusing temperature, this one heats up only when needed and that too, only the area of the drum (that needs the heat) that is physically in contact with the passing paper.

The toner used here is also a low temperature fusing ink that does not need the fuser to heat up as much as other laser printers usually do. This additionally helps reduce the overall energy consumption. Hence, the cartridges used here cannot be refilled using regular laser toner inks that need higher temperatures to fuse to the paper. If refilled, it will end up damaging the fuser and you might get smudgy prints or prints that can be easily wiped-off when handling. The printed pages also do not curl, especially in humid environments—thanks to the low heating fuser technology. The printer has a monthly duty cycle of 30,000 pages, but the manufacturer recommends a volume of 1500 pages."

Usually, the glossy or heavy setting will likely get the highest fusing temperature. Have you tried those settings yet? Are you using HP brand cartridges (OEM) or off-brand cartridges in the printer? I am concerned that non-OEM / HP brand toner may likely cause toner fusion performance issues based on the information in the article referenced above. Also - are you printing from a PDF document?

Let me know and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 12/30/2016 7:58:11 AM(EST)
NYSVape

United States

Hey Dave, could you please email me at Ryanm004@hotmail.com
I'm also having very similar problems.

I have an almost brand new(3 months old) Canon Color Laser ImageClass mf217W that I use to print labels. I apply the colored labels to my glass e-Liquid bottles, and with a simple nail scratch, rubbing in the pocket, ect the ink scratches off. I've tried a few different settings but maybe you could also help me troubleshoot a bit. I use White Weatherproof Polyester Laser/Gold Foil OL6450 labels. The problem is more so on the White Weatherproof Polyester Laser labels, but it also happens(not as much as the other) on the Gold Foil labels aswell.

Look forward to hearing from you, thanks!
Ryan M, NYSVape.
#6 Posted : 12/31/2016 5:55:42 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

NYSVape - Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Toner fusion issues on laser printers are typically indicative of the fuser unit not hitting the right temperature to fuse the toner to the material. Does everything scratch off equally easy on the label or do you notice that certain colors / parts scratch off more easily? Any additional details you can provide would be helpful.

I don't personally have a lot of experience with Canon printers and I didn't find any feedback on that specific Canon printer model in our printer feedback surveys from customers. I need to check with the person who oversees our printer lab to see if he has any feedback or ideas related to your Canon printer. That person will be back in the office next week and I can speak to him then.

We will be in contact soon.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#7 Posted : 1/3/2017 3:32:32 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
NYSVape -

I was able to locate the manual for your printer online and found a potential solution to the issue that you've described. You mentioned that you've tried a few different settings, but have you made any adjustments to the material type settings yet? The Canon imageCLASS MF217w has options for Heavy, Label, and Transparency paper types. These options should increase the fusing temperature and provide a better bond between the toner and the surface of the sheet.

You may need to experiment with the different material settings to find which one works best for each material that you're using. If you need some additional sheets for testing I'd be happy to have a sample packet sent out for you.
#8 Posted : 1/3/2017 10:57:54 PM(EST)
NYSVape

United States

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post
NYSVape -

I was able to locate the manual for your printer online and found a potential solution to the issue that you've described. You mentioned that you've tried a few different settings, but have you made any adjustments to the material type settings yet? The Canon imageCLASS MF217w has options for Heavy, Label, and Transparency paper types. These options should increase the fusing temperature and provide a better bond between the toner and the surface of the sheet.

You may need to experiment with the different material settings to find which one works best for each material that you're using. If you need some additional sheets for testing I'd be happy to have a sample packet sent out for you.

Appreciate the quick responses Dave and Josh!
My problem has actually kind of switched 180 degrees. I no longer have that many issues with the polyester white laser labels, but with a simple rub of the finger on the gold foil labels, all of the toner comes directly off of the label and onto my fingertip. I remember specifically playing with the paper type/material settings back when I was setting up my printer and doing test label runs, however I don't remember how, nor can I figure out how to adjust these settings now.. I know you guys aren't a printer support company, but do you think you could point me in the direction of somewhere that shows me how? Or even better(I don't want to trouble you guys though), do you think you could inform me on how to do such changes to my printer? In regards to the offer of sending samples for troubleshooting/testing prints, I appreciate it very much but I already have more than enough gold foil labels for my needs :) I only use the gold foil labels for one product that I offer, but it's a more "premium" product than the others so I would really like the label to correlate in terms of quality to my actual product. :)
Also, I apologize, I misinformed you guys on the current printer I have! The MF217W was my previous, monochrome laser printer. My current printer is the MF628Cw, a color laser imageClass Canon printer.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all of the help. Hope to hear back from you guys soon!
Ryan M, NYSVape.
#9 Posted : 1/3/2017 11:14:54 PM(EST)
NYSVape

United States

Decided I would provide images to help you further determine the exact cause of the problem. The photo of the gold foil label is me just simply rubbing my finger with a little bit of pressure on the label, and that was the outcome. The gold foil label on the bottom was the one I rubbed, the top two are what it's supposed to look like. The second is the white polyester labels applied to 30ML bottles, which turn out flawlessly. I tried scratching the fronts of them with my fingernail and you can't even tell the difference.

Gold Foil Laser Label

White Polyester Color Label

Edited by user Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:17:50 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#10 Posted : 1/4/2017 10:03:43 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Ryan -

Based on your description of the problem it definitely sounds like you're running into a toner fusion issue. Adjusting the material type setting should definitely improve the printing results.

Navigating to the material settings can vary from printer model to printer model. When you're ready to print your design open the print dialog box and look for a button or tab that says something like advanced settings or properties. From there, you should see a setting called Media Type. Change the Media Type setting to Label, Transparency, or Heavy paper - you may have to try a couple different setting to find the one that works best.

I hope this information helps. If you need anything else please just let us know.
#11 Posted : 4/14/2019 2:31:36 PM(EST)
Akeem_mc

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

I purchased some glossy labels as well to try them out but I've had the same issue. First, I printed without realizing that I had to set the printer specifically to print on glossy paper/labels.
The resulting labels did not bond well with ink. I researched and came back and set it the printer to the proper settings. The labels came out much better than the first set that I printed. But there still seems to be an issue with the ink bonding to the paper/labels because the print is more resilient but I am still see the ink chipping off in small bit. I am using a Xerox ColorQube 8900. Please let me know if there is any other options that I should consider before I discontinue use of these labels.

Edited by user Sunday, April 14, 2019 2:33:24 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#12 Posted : 4/14/2019 11:32:13 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: Akeem_mc Go to Quoted Post
I purchased some glossy labels as well to try them out but I've had the same issue. First, I printed without realizing that I had to set the printer specifically to print on glossy paper/labels.
The resulting labels did not bond well with ink. I researched and came back and set it the printer to the proper settings. The labels came out much better than the first set that I printed. But there still seems to be an issue with the ink bonding to the paper/labels because the print is more resilient but I am still see the ink chipping off in small bit. I am using a Xerox ColorQube 8900. Please let me know if there is any other options that I should consider before I discontinue use of these labels.

The Xerox ColorQube 8900 is neither a laser printer or an inkjet printer. It uses solid inks and effectively uses heat to melt / bond the solid inks to the material. Unfortunately, the ColorQube doesn't always work very well when printing on glossy stocks and if you have already adjusted the settings there isn't much more that can be done to get the solid inks to bond better to the sheet.

Our matte white stock works better with this printer as the paper isn't quite as smooth and the solid ink bonds better when the surface isn't as smooth. We are happy to send samples of our white matte material if you would like to try out that material to see if you are happy with the results.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#13 Posted : 3/11/2021 4:29:13 PM(EST)
eem

United States

I’m also having the same problem with the laser weatherproof white polyester vinyl labels. I’m using a canon imageclass color laser printer (MF642Ddw), and I have tried every paper setting, including label and the heaviest coated paper setting. The black ink scratches off easily.
#14 Posted : 3/12/2021 4:14:23 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: eem Go to Quoted Post
I’m also having the same problem with the laser weatherproof white polyester vinyl labels. I’m using a canon imageclass color laser printer (MF642Ddw), and I have tried every paper setting, including label and the heaviest coated paper setting. The black ink scratches off easily.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. I was able to locate the manual for your printer model and there are some additional settings that may improve the print durability. You'll want to make sure you're still using one of the specialty material type settings like photo, glossy or labels before adjusting these other settings.

The manual indicates that these settings may actually be located on the control panel of the printer model itself rather than within the print driver options on your computer. You'll be looking for a section titled Special Paper Processing. The manual lists the following instructions to navigate to this section:

Press Menu -> Adjustment/Maintenance -> Adjust Image Quality -> Special Processing -> Special Paper Processing

Once you've made it to this section, there are a few options available that might help. The options you'll want to try enabling are listed below:

- Rough Surface Paper Mode
- Reduce Ghosting
- Reduce Ghosting 2
- Reduce Toner Flaking

According to the manual these options should improve print durability, which will hopefully allow your labels to hold up better to scratching. The manual indicates that you might notice slower print speeds by enabling these settings, but the slower feed usually results in higher fusing temperatures and better durability.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#15 Posted : 1/18/2022 12:51:42 AM(EST)
Vgold

United States

Same problem with the laser weatherproof white polyester vinyl labels. I’m using an HP Color LaserJet M553. The black and other inks scratch off easily.
#16 Posted : 1/18/2022 10:26:07 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Vgold Go to Quoted Post
Same problem with the laser weatherproof white polyester vinyl labels. I’m using an HP Color LaserJet M553. The black and other inks scratch off easily.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. I haven't had a chance to use the HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M553, but I've had a lot of success using our laser compatible label materials with various other HP Color LaserJet printer models. I'm assuming some combination of print and maintenance settings should provide you with results that you're happy with.

Have you tried adjusting the material type setting within the printer options? Most laser printers are set as default to print on plain white copy paper. Adjusting to a heavier paper type setting should increase the fusing temperature and provide a much stronger adhesion between the toner and the surface of the label material. Some trial and error may be necessary to find the best paper type setting with any new label material. Personally, with other HP Color LaserJet models, I've had the best success when using heavier photo paper settings with the weatherproof polyester material. Look for options similar to HP Matte Photo 200g or HP Color Laser Photo Glossy 220g. I've achieved excellent, photo-quality print results using these settings with the weatherproof polyester material.

If you've tried adjusting the paper type setting and are still having issues, you may need to access the maintenance options within the printer settings. I just took a look at the manual for the M553 models and there are options available for a cleaning page, as well as color calibration. Running both of these maintenance options could potentially help with print quality issues as well.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.