Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/12/2017 12:31:41 AM(EST)
sophiecakes

Hello! I am looking for a basic printer (I don't do photo printing, scanning, etc) that prints on tiny labels like the 0.75" circle labels that will look crisp and straight. I currently use a basic, cheap HP Inkjet and it has been okay but I need better consistency and I think they are beginning to print off possibly because of the sloppy feeding as it comes through. I will print 3 in a row without changing any margins and all three will look different. Any specific brand or model suggestions would be appreciated. I mainly use the thicker recycled kraft paper labels. Thanks!
#2 Posted : 1/12/2017 12:26:41 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
sophiecakes -

With any desktop inkjet or laser printer there's going to be a small amount of movement as the sheets feed through the printer. This can make printing tiny, round labels much more difficult, especially if your design covers the majority of the label. Purchasing a new printer may not resolve the issue, but there are alterations you can make to your design and print settings that can potentially improve your printing results.

- If your design includes a border or runs all the way to the edge of the label you may want to alter the design to allow for a more room at the edge of the labels. This should make any slight shift that occurs much less noticeable.

- Changing the material type within your printer options to a heavier setting typically reduces the speed at which the sheets are fed through the printer. This will result in slightly increased print times, but has reduced printer shift with certain printer models in the past. If you'd like to try changing the material type setting I'd recommend using something like Photo/Glossy, Labels, or Heavy Paper.

Another possible solution would be to purchase custom printed labels. In this scenario we'd worry about properly aligning the labels for you. You can view more information on custom printed labels at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelab...printed-label-quote.aspx

I hope this helps! If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 1/12/2017 2:22:01 PM(EST)
sophiecakes

Good advice, thank you! I would still like to invest in a nicer printer as mine is the most barebones model. I saw that you post specific brands and models recommended by users for the specific labels they use. Do you have any suggested models for the 0.75" round labels? Thank you for your help!
#4 Posted : 1/13/2017 11:17:53 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

sophiecakes -

When making printer recommendations the material that you're using is more important than the size of the labels. Based on your order history it looks like you've been purchasing the Standard White Matte and the Brown Kraft materials from us. Will you be using any additional material types? Would you prefer an inkjet or a laser printer?

Please just let me know and I'll be happy to make some printer recommendations for you.
#5 Posted : 1/14/2017 8:21:16 PM(EST)
sophiecakes

Those are the ones I will continue to use mostly...just basic and Kraft. I would like the printing to look a little crisper than it does now, but mainly I need the alignment to be perfect and the printer to run smoother than my current model. I don't know if I have a preference between the two, I have been using an inkjet and it seems to be working fine for me, but curious if laser looks sharper at all? Thanks!
#6 Posted : 1/16/2017 11:39:21 AM(EST)
sophiecakes

I have wasted a ton of expensive kraft paper trying to figure out this problem. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the printer and changing the paperweight settings did not help. They are not printing consistently. I can print two in a row and the first one will be aligned and the second one completely off. I have probably wasted $50 worth of paper at this point. Super frustrated. Please let me know any printer recommendations, I hope this will remedy the problem.
#7 Posted : 1/16/2017 12:23:22 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

sophiecakes -

We send printer feedback surveys to our customers in an effort to find out how our label materials perform with the thousands of different printer models currently on the market. The printer models listed below have been rated very highly by customers using our brown kraft material.

Inkjet Printers
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600
HP OfficeJet Pro X476dw
HP Deskjet 1000
Brother MFC-J4420DW
Epson WorkForce 630

Laser Printers
HP LaserJet Pro 200 color
HP LaserJet Pro 400 color
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477nw
Brother HL-3140CW

All of the printer models listed above have been positively reviewed for use with our standard white matte products as well. I've had the opportunity to use both the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 and the HP LaserJet Pro 200 color printer models with our brown kraft material and have been very pleased with the results.

I'm sorry to hear about the labels you lost while attempting to resolve this issue. I'm sending a sample packet out today with some additional sheets of the two products from your most recent order.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional information.
#8 Posted : 1/16/2017 12:57:01 PM(EST)
sophiecakes

Thank u for all your help. I really appreciate it. Thank u for the sample pack it helps take the edge off how much paper I've wasted. I appreciate your service and will let u know how the new printer works out.