Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/3/2017 6:03:51 PM(EST)
kim.e.lovo@gmail.com

United States

I am using waterproof labels with my laser printer. I recently made labels for 5ml bottles of essential oils, only to find that if any of the essential oil touches the printed label, the ink immediately dissolves. What to do?
#2 Posted : 3/4/2017 1:56:14 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I checked your account and it appears that you are purchasing stock for laser printing. It sounds like there is an ingredient in oil that is causing the fused toner to breakdown. I am not an expert on chemistry so I can't speak as to what ingredient would cause the toner to break down. I might be able to do a little more research on that topic if you can provide some details on your ingredients in your oil.

What is the model of your printer? Can you confirm that you are getting good fusion of the toner to the material before the essential oils hit it? Is it easy to rub/scratch off the toner before it is touched by the oils?

Assuming you are getting good toner fusion prior to the oil touching the toner then there are a few things you may want to consider to improve the results.

You may want to consider putting an overcoat spray on the labels after printing. Krylon Preserve It normally works well and will make the label a little more resistant to the oils. I would recommend testing that option. You can read article on the topic below:

https://www.onlinelabels...label-overcoat-spray.htm

Another option would be to put a clear label over the top of the other label to effectively laminate the existing label. I am happy to send you samples of our clear labels for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this information is helpful.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

Edited by user Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:59:18 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : 3/14/2017 5:02:22 PM(EST)
kim.e.lovo@gmail.com

United States

Thank you!
I am currently using an hp color laser jet pro, M252dw. No, I don't think that I am getting good toner fusion. There are times when the print does rub right off the labels, and it is very distressing. I make and sell organic skin care products, and it is imperative that the labeling look 100% professional. I was just alerted to the issue with the ink disappearing when essential oil hits it, so that is new to me. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to manipulate the printer in order to increase its fusion abilities, which would be the easy answer. I will try and find some of your suggested Krylon "Preserve It", and hope that is the answer I am looking for! Thank you-
#4 Posted : 3/15/2017 9:59:42 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: kim.e.lovo@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
Thank you!
I am currently using an hp color laser jet pro, M252dw. No, I don't think that I am getting good toner fusion. There are times when the print does rub right off the labels, and it is very distressing. I make and sell organic skin care products, and it is imperative that the labeling look 100% professional. I was just alerted to the issue with the ink disappearing when essential oil hits it, so that is new to me. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to manipulate the printer in order to increase its fusion abilities, which would be the easy answer. I will try and find some of your suggested Krylon "Preserve It", and hope that is the answer I am looking for! Thank you-

You printer definitely allows you to change the settings and media type. When you push the Print button, you should receive a pop-up dialog box. In that dialog box, there should be a choice for Advanced or Properties. Click on Advanced or Properties and you should find an option to change the media type. I recommend that you select "Labels" as the media type. Selecting "Labels" as the media type will change the way that the toner fuses to the material (by slowing the feed or increase the fusing temperature) and the toner should adhere much better to the material. Let me know if you have trouble locating the settings.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 12/8/2017 3:17:13 PM(EST)
DNL

United States

I'm using the Matted Labels instead of Glossy Lables since the oils should not rub off the lettering. We will see how it goes. There may a be a few stains on the lables if it's matted instead of glossy. That is what I will experiment to see. If it has no stains, then matted is what I will change to.
#6 Posted : 12/8/2017 4:01:52 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: DNL Go to Quoted Post
I'm using the Matted Labels instead of Glossy Lables since the oils should not rub off the lettering. We will see how it goes. There may a be a few stains on the lables if it's matted instead of glossy. That is what I will experiment to see. If it has no stains, then matted is what I will change to.

Thanks for the update. The matte paper is absorbent so I suspect it will show stains if your essential oils have any slight color to them. Let us know how it goes.

We are happy to send you samples of other products if you would like to fill out our sample request form at https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com