Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 9/22/2017 2:05:45 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Hi - I'm using the Waterproof Gloss Labels for inkjet printers. They are beautiful BUT - the labels once applied to bottles get grossly sticky. Two customers complained today about them. If there is any dampness on hand - they stick. Which, in a skin care line, is going to happen which is exactly the reason for waterproof labels. To use around water. RIGHT?

HELP! Any advice?

I tried just the plain Gloss Labels but when in the bathroom and humidity they peel off. Please don't tell me to spray them - I am not going to use a toxic spray that harms lungs and not going to add yet another step to this process. These are the most expensive labels Online sells - they should work.

Thanks!!!
#2 Posted : 9/23/2017 9:25:02 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
The weatherproof glossy inkjet material has a top coating that can feel a little sticky once fully saturated with ink. Are you putting a lot of ink coverage on the label? Can you provide some additional details on the printer model and settings that you are using?

The top coating on our matte inkjet weatherproof doesn't get sticky when saturated with ink and may work well for you. Would you be interested in trying some samples of the matte white weatherproof material? Ink normally prints very vibrant on the material even though the material itself has a matte finish. I would be happy to send you samples for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

We are happy to work with you to try to find a solution. Thanks for your business.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#3 Posted : 9/23/2017 10:42:30 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Hi Dave,
I tested the plain weatherproof glossy label paper before it was printed - it's bad news. Try it. Get your hands damp and touch it - it's like touching the back of tape. It's really unappealing and sticky.

I'm stuck with this paper and this size. Please try to remedy this ASAP! I even tried putting it in a dehydrator, the microwave - that's desperate. Nothing works. My website goes up next week - I'm hoping that the brains on your side have a solution!
Thanks!
#4 Posted : 9/24/2017 8:10:01 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Unfortunately, we don't have much control over the properties & performance of the top coating since the face stock comes to us with the top coating from our raw material supplier. In the case of our glossy waterproof inkjet material, it does tend to feel a little sticky when saturated with ink or liquid. If the product isn't going to work for you, I am happy to make arrangements to pick up / fully credit for the product.

As I mentioned, I think you may find the matte weatherproof inkjet material doesn't have the same characteristic and the print results are normally very good. Would you like me to send you samples of that product for testing? What is the model of the printer that you are using?

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#5 Posted : 9/24/2017 9:11:33 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

I've tried the Matte Paper and it's well - flat and not nearly as vibrant, not even close, unfortunately.

Doesn't make a sense a label paper advertised as waterproof would be sticky when it is around what it's supposed to work on - water.

Can you pls contact the supplier tomorrow and ask them if they know of any solution for this issue? Sincerely appreciate any help I can get. The paper is beautiful, the perfect odd size for my bottles, even bought a new printer to use with this label size - no border. All is working except this . . .
#6 Posted : 9/25/2017 11:49:08 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

We will do some further testing in-house to see if we can find any tricks that help eliminate the slight stickiness when the top coating gets water or ink encapsulated in it. We can also speak to the raw material supplier who top coats the paper to see if they can provide any further insights. If we can understand the root cause, we may be able to figure out a way to improve the performance.

At this point, I am not confident that we will find any simple or quick solutions that completely resolves the issue. We will definitely try our best to see if we can come up with anything. Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#7 Posted : 9/26/2017 1:57:49 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Thank you Dave, really appreciate that!

I've been testing the labels - the problem is not the ink, the tacky label is due to the label material. With or without ink.

Will wait to hear!!
#8 Posted : 10/6/2017 1:12:27 AM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Hey Dave, Checking back in with you. Any update on the waterproof label issue / solution? Thx, Jae
#9 Posted : 10/6/2017 6:38:47 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Jae - I'm sorry we haven't gotten back to this post. We spoke with the supplier that makes the top coating last week to get feedback from them and try to get a better understanding of the science behind the top coating. Based on our conversations with the supplier so far, I don't think there is anything that we are going to be able to do to change the product or make the characteristic go away at this time. We are still working with them on the issue, but I don't there is going to be any changes that we are going to be able to get them to make to the way the top coating is constructed.

We haven't closed the door on our research yet. Our goal is to try to get a better understanding of the science behind the coating and then see if we can find any tricks that can be done after printing to make it less of a factor.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#10 Posted : 10/6/2017 11:16:39 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I've been working with one of the engineers from the top coat supplier in an effort to better understand why the stickiness occurs, and to see if anything can be done about it.

According to their application engineer the glossy top coating consists of type of silica pigment that is highly absorbent, allowing for quick distribution and absorption of ink without smearing or smudging. This type of top coating is absolutely necessary in maintaining an attractive, high-gloss look that remains durable even after ink is applied to the surface of the sheet. Unfortunately, the trade-off is that the silica pigment top coating does result in some tackiness when introduced to moisture. The tackiness that occurs is not indicative of a damaged label and will not result in any kind of ink transfer onto the hands. Once the label has dried, the tackiness goes away.

I've done some testing on my end to confirm the information provided by the supplier. Regardless of whether the labels are printed or blank initial exposure to moisture does cause some light tackiness. I've manually dried labels using a paper tower and have let labels air dry over time, and in both cases the stickiness does seem to go away.

The same supplier provides the top coating for our weatherproof white matte inkjet material as well. When speaking with their engineer I asked why the tackiness occurs on the white gloss material but not on the white matte material. He told me that the silica pigment is unique to the gloss top coating and necessary to retain the high gloss appearance of the product. The matte top coating doesn't use the silica pigment, and therefore doesn't exhibit the tackiness seen on the weatherproof gloss stock.

Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the white gloss weatherproof product. Beyond drying the labels completely there's no surefire method to removing the tackiness altogether, and there's currently no way to produce the glossy top coating without using the silica pigment that causes the tackiness. The good news is that the integrity of the label remains intact - even if you feel the slight stickiness upon introducing moisture the label will remain durable to smearing and smudging when in direct contact with moisture.

I understand that this likely wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I do hope you find this information helpful in understanding why the tackiness occurs. If you need any additional assistance please just let us know.

#11 Posted : 10/6/2017 4:51:39 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Thanks Josh, yes technically they explained but they need to fix it. These are expensive labels. The point of a waterproof label is that they can be used around moisture. I don't know how else to describe but it's really gross how sticky they get. Wash your face, hands are damp - reach for the beautiful bottle of skin lotion and the whole thing sticks to your hand.

Yes, we can all put a note on a website about the label, few will read it. I had 3 customers in one day complain and my store is not even open yet. I'm worried that when it is open and I start selling to the public this is going to be an ongoing head-ache. I'm now locked into these labels, as I've already purchased the bottles and designed them.

There has to be a solution. They need a different topcoat layer to seal this. Which may make them more expensive but at least the products won't gross out, or startle valued customers. Hopefully this conversation and pressure on the manufacturer will continue??

Or can you give me their phone number and let me try?

Thank you!!
#12 Posted : 10/7/2017 11:24:47 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Jae - We have spent considerable time and energy honing our manufacturing process and working with suppliers to try to get the product to its current state. We are always trying to improve our products and we understand your concern. At this point, I feel confident that the top coat supplier and raw material maker are aware and would absolutely do something if they had an answer on how to make it not happen without sacrificing another quality or characteristic. We will continue to work with our suppliers to see what we can do to continue improving the product in the future, but this is not something that we have found an immediate or easy resolution for.

I'm really sorry that you we don't a solution to the issue at this time. If you don't think the product will work for your needs then we are happy to discuss other ways to help you accomplish your goal. As always, we would be happy to take back the materials that you have purchased and credit you in full. We could then discuss other options like moving to laser printing, a dedicated label printer (like a Primera printer), or purchasing pre-printed labels as possible options to consider.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#13 Posted : 10/7/2017 3:47:29 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Thank you Dave. The look of these labels is great, the color is vibrant and beautiful. I, too, am sorry that this one issue effects using them. I'm going to open my store and see what happens. In the meantime will look at other options. Perhaps now that the issue has been raised to the manufacturer - they will take a new look at it.

I'm also going to play with the matte paper. See if I can create more vibrant colors. Can you send me samples?

I'm using your labels for ever facet of my new company - very impressed with this company and your customer support. Thx.
#14 Posted : 10/7/2017 4:09:45 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Jae - Thanks for your understanding.

We are happy to send you samples of the white weatherproof matte inkjet material for testing. I am not sure what size configurations you require so it may be best to have you fill out our sample request form at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

You can see all the standard size options available in white weatherproof matte inkjet material at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/material_weatherproof_matte_inkjet_labels.htm

Thanks. Let us know if you need any additional help.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#15 Posted : 10/7/2017 11:30:16 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Will do - thank you!
#16 Posted : 10/8/2017 5:26:18 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Dave - trying to put in sample request but system keeps charging me. Can you please email me or give me a contact to reach you and I'll send you the matte sample order.

Need to do ASAP - thanks! Jae
#17 Posted : 10/8/2017 7:58:20 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Jae - What shipping method are you trying to select? As long as you select the Regular Mail option (the first option) and you are shipping to a US or Canadian address there will be no charge for the samples.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#18 Posted : 10/9/2017 3:31:25 PM(EST)
Jflo

United States

Because I had just order other samples - your system was charging me to order more.

I just called Customer Service, they fixed it and are send the samples.

If you hear any updates on this issue - please let me know! Still hoping this inspired the manufacturer to fix the problem. Fingers crossed! Thanks, Dave!
#19 Posted : 10/9/2017 5:03:49 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Jae - I am glad to hear that you were able to work with our customer service team and resolve the issue.

We will definitely continue to work with our suppliers and we will let you know if we make any marked progress.

Thanks for your understanding.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com