Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/31/2017 12:50:54 PM(EST)
Archie106

United States

Labels were printed on the HP M553 laser printer and stuck to dry bottles, then liquid filled, where they were placed in ice/water to stay cold. A few minutes later the labels started rising from the bottles. The labels were placed on the dry bottle before adding any liquid. This is my second order with OnlineLabels. My first order, the glue was fine and stayed stuck, but was designed for Inkjet printer so I went ahead and purchased the label designed for laser printers.

Label Lot # 1194150-71028001. Order was placed on Oct 12, 2017.

A ticket was raised on this issue but an unsatisfactory response was received. I was sent to an article on applying the label to a lip balm container. This would suggest that once the label is being applied to any extremely smooth surface, extra precautionary steps would be required, such as sanding. I took precautionary measures (except sanding) but the Weatherproof label adhesive failed when placed in ice or water.

Hoping to find better solution here or better yet have Online Labels investigate the quality of this product.

#2 Posted : 11/1/2017 1:04:09 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm very sorry to hear about the issue and the frustration you've experienced in attempting to resolve it. I've spoken to the two representatives that you worked with in an effort to understand your application and the problem you've encountered as best as I possibly can.

All of our label materials and adhesives are thoroughly print tested and application tested before we allow them to be sold on the website. We consistently monitor complaints and retest products if we have any indication that they may be out of conformance. The Weatherproof Polyester Laser has traditionally been a very strong performer for us and has been successfully used on ice frequently by many customers. With that being said, we'll occasionally see issues arise where a product doesn't perform to expectations. We take these instances very seriously and will always do what we can to resolve the issue to the best of our ability.

We source our different label materials from a wide variety of raw stock suppliers. The Weatherproof Matte Inkjet and the Weatherproof Polyester Laser materials come from two different suppliers, meaning that the adhesive used on the products isn't exactly the same. Both adhesives typically perform very well in direct contact with moisture, but performance may differ slightly since the adhesives are formulated differently. Based on our testing and the product specifications from the supplier, the adhesive used on the Weatherproof Polyester Laser material is actually one of the strongest that we offer. It's technically considered to be an auto grade adhesive, which means that the adhesive is intended for use in extreme environments. Still, we recognize that the labels are not meeting your needs and want to assist however we can.

After review the images that you attached to your original email I have a few questions about your application that will allow me to further research the problem:

- Where are you sourcing the bottles from? Seeing what type of plastic the bottles are made from and how they're manufactured may provide some insight.

- What exactly does your application consist of? I believe I saw in the original email that the labels are applied to empty bottles and then the bottles are filled with liquid and placed on ice. What is the temperature of the liquid when it's being placed into the bottles? Is it extremely hot or cold? Have you tried prefilling the bottles and then applying the labels afterwards?

I'm not sure if this information will result in an immediate resolution with the Weatherproof Polyester Laser material type for you, but it will certainly allow us to look further into the issue in hopes of understanding it better.

I do have a couple of suggestions that I can provide that may improve your results though:

- I noticed in the images that you provided that the labels don't wrap all the way around the bottle. Curved surfaces can be tricky to properly label and results will always be best if you're able to do a full wrap around the container. A larger surface area will result in better adhesion. I realize that a full wrap versus a partial wrap comes down to preference and how you want your products to look, but if you're willing to consider using a full wrap label some product recommendations are linked to below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL7000LP.htm
https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL1159LP.htm
https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL1985LP.htm

- We do offer another laser label material that may work better for your specific application. Our Weatherproof Vinyl for Laser is a specialty material that is typically used for labeling and shipping drums of chemicals. It's ultra durable and features an extremely aggressive adhesive. Vinyl label material is considerably more flexible compared to polyester, which means it should do extremely well on curved surfaces even without a full wrap. You can view the product at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL3540LV.htm

If you're interested in testing this product with your application I'd be happy to send you some sample sheets free of charge. If you're happy with the samples we would gladly take your previous order back for a refund and assist you in processing a new order for the Weatherproof Vinyl material.

Please just let me know. We'll be happy to assist you however we can.