Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/1/2018 1:22:17 PM(EST)
Fatback

United States

Hello and happy new year folks,

ok i'll try to make this quick and painless I was ready to buy a cannon pro-100 retail 398 on amazon then I did what I shouldn't have and stopped into staples and started asking questions i will never learn. I got so confused lol.

The manager was very helpful with lots of info but he also couldn't help me finalize my choice, I will be using this new printer strictly for my labels. The labels are 7x3 waterproof.(maybe) I cant say how many I will be printing because this is a new venture. They will be colored I will using them for my artisan charcuterie aka salami.

he showed me two other printers besides the cannon 100 the epson artisan $348 and the cannon mx922 only $89, he told me the mx922 actually prints at a higher resolution but he is not certain if it does a better job at blending. My thought process was getting the mx922 mostly for the savings and if it doesn't do a good job move up to one of the other two or are the other two much more superior and worth the extra money? and if the others are better which does a better job? Or I hate to ask, is there one that is even better cant go higher in price right now. I have read quite a few reviews on all three and they basically have the same grade.

My other question is I tried using the software on this site and just made a miss of it over and over then I started doing research on adobe illustrator and corel. I am not a total bonehead and can get around with things like this but I am not an expert. I need to set up a template for one flavor then use that one for all the others changing ingredients list name and artwork for the others. I will also be making labels for my Mostrada which is an Italian style chutney used with charcuterie same holds true here one template for multiply flavors. I then was thinking maybe do a logo label then a separate product label but i see that as a waste and is not the look I am going for. I just want to make the right choice with both these issues. I will appreciate any help. Hope I gave enough info.

Anthony
#2 Posted : 1/1/2018 2:20:42 PM(EST)
Fatback

United States

OK,

I was given some bad information that laser printers have issues with jamming due to heating up the laels after reading even more posts I see that the HP Laserjet Pro M452nw would be a good choice overall.

I was given these to labels as recommendations for my application OL1499 or OL318 since the product will be sold at farmers markets outside and handled will they need a over spray? Is there a more resilient label?

as for the label software here am I not able to use it properly because I have not purchased any labels yet? is there a link or someone that has used these labels for a food application?
Hope this narrows it down. I am very pleased already with how this company is set up to help people it is very much appreciated. Look forward to getting this resolved so I can go back to the thing I am good at which is working with food. lol
#3 Posted : 1/2/2018 11:18:33 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Anthony -

I'll be happy to provide any assistance that I can. Feedback for each of your inquiries is provided below:

Choosing a printer model
Both types of printers (inkjet and laser) would be suitable for this type of application. Laser printers provide more durable printing results by nature. You definitely wouldn't need to use a protective overcoat spray with weatherproof laser labels. You likely wouldn't need an overcoat spray with weatherproof inkjet labels, but some customers choose to use the spray with inkjet labels to protect against any possible contact with oils or chemicals that could potentially cause the labels to smear or smudge.

I've personally had an opportunity to use the Canon PIXMA series of inkjet printers as well as the HP LaserJet series of laser printers. Both are excellent printers and should work very well with your application. If you do decide to go with an inkjet printer, I think you'd definitely be safe to go with the MX922 as an entry point into printing your labels. I've used a very similar printer model in the PIXMA series and have always been very pleased with the results.

Choosing a label material
Whether you choose to go with an inkjet or a laser printer, you'll likely want to purchase weatherproof labels for this type of application. You can view our selection of weatherproof materials by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

The item numbers you provided indicate the size of the labels you're interested in purchasing. As long as you select one of the weatherproof materials in each of these label configurations you'll be good to go.

If you do decide to purchase weatherproof inkjet labels and are interested in information about applying a protective overcoat spray, you can view our step-by-step tutorial at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/krylon-weatherproof-waterproof-label-overcoat-spray.htm

Choose a label software
We definitely have customers using Maestro Label Designer for labeling food products. Adobe Illustrator is an excellent piece of software, but access to Maestro Label Designer is provided free with any purchase and should definitely be able to meet the needs stated in your original post.

You can view our Maestro Label Designer support page at the link below. There are a lot of helpful topics and tutorials that will allow you to learn more about the functionality of the software.

https://www.onlinelabels...port/maestroSupport.aspx

If you have any additional questions about Maestro Label Designer, or if you'd like one of our customer service representatives to walk you through some of the advanced functionality, please feel free to give us a call directly at 1-888-575-2235.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#4 Posted : 1/3/2018 6:07:46 PM(EST)
Fatback

United States

Thank you so much for all the in site outstanding help I have one final question if you had to choose from
Canon Color imageCLASS MF733Cdw - All in One, Wireless, Duplex Laser

HP Laserjet Pro M452nw

Or would you choose something else for what I can going to use it for.

Once again thanks for all your help.

#5 Posted : 1/4/2018 8:57:14 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I haven't had a chance to use the Canon imageCLASS MF733Cdw yet, so I can't provide any definitive feedback on that printer model. I have used the HP LaserJet Pro M452dw extensively with a wide variety of our laser label materials and have always been very pleased with the results. I've had a lot of success using the HP LaserJet series of printers in general.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.