Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/20/2018 3:58:53 PM(EST)
cookie

United States

Hello,

I am printing glossy front labels and matte back labels and in the market for a new printer. It looks like I should be getting a laser for the matte labels (small text) and an inkjet for the front glossy. For the glossy I need to be able to print up to 1000-1200 full colour sheets each month. If I print matte on the same printer, that number increases to 2000-4000 sheets/month.
I need speed and very good image quality. I am printing primarily logos that need to be colour matched. I would prefer to use the same printer for both.
Today I am using an HP Officejet Pro 8620. Images are good, but very slow printing and ink is brutally expensive. If I run a lot of sheets full colour, I see banding. Labels can shift in the printer also. These are issues I am hoping to avoid.

Can you provide any recommendations for an inkjet designed for this. I am willing to consider both label printers and a printer that uses sheets, but am leaning towards the latter to help keep initial cost down.

Thanks for your help!
#2 Posted : 3/21/2018 11:02:51 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
cookie -

Thanks for your inquiry. With your expected monthly volume you should really consider using a laser printer for the glossy labels as well. If you intend to print more than 1,000 sheets a month the cost for ink cartridges will likely be exorbitant regardless of which printer model you choose.

Laser printers have come a long way in terms of being able to print attractive, full color images that rival inkjet photo printers. I've used the HP Color LaserJet series of printers extensively over the years and have always been extremely happy with the print quality that they're capable of. It may be worth checking with a couple local office stores to see if they'll run a print demo on a floor model for you. If you decide you're able to use a laser printer for your glossy labels, you'll definitely find the speed and print economy that you're looking for.

If you're set on using an inkjet printer there may be some models out there that are suitable. I was researching business class inkjet printers this morning and it seems that HP may have some high speed inkjet printers intended for office use. The HP Officejet Pro X551dw is noted for it's fast speed, but the printer appears to be quite costly and I can't speak to its print economy.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 3/22/2018 2:48:39 PM(EST)
cookie

United States

Josh - then for your feedback. I saw a post from 2016 on this forum that talked about inkjet glossy labels will always look a lot glossier then laser because of the process (and that they laser end up not looking very glossy at all.) Does this still hold true?
#4 Posted : 3/26/2018 10:22:33 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I've been using the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn extensively over the past year or so, and I've been extremely happy with the print quality on our white gloss laser, clear gloss laser and white weatherproof polyester materials. These printer models are capable of producing well defined images with vibrant colors that rival dedicated photo printers. I would not classify the printed labels as less glossy than their inkjet counterparts - if anything, the print quality compares favorably to a lot of the desktop inkjet models that I've used recently. We have a large number of customers using laser printers to print full-color product labels at this point.

It may be worth checking with office stores about potentially doing a print demo using some of the floor models that have on display. Seeing the print quality first hand may help you decide if a laser printer will work for you. We'd be happy to send you samples of any of our laser products for testing. You can request free sample sheets by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

#5 Posted : 9/28/2018 2:33:25 PM(EST)
PoliteBites

United States

Afternoon!

We have originally used inkjet for printing on standard gloss labels. However, we are moving to the waterproof labels (used for food packaging) and will be printing on laser jet. The inkjet we have been using is a Canon model and It does a great job! The labels look great, but with moisture contact the ink smears. Hope this helps.
#6 Posted : 10/1/2018 10:57:57 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: PoliteBites Go to Quoted Post
Afternoon!

We have originally used inkjet for printing on standard gloss labels. However, we are moving to the waterproof labels (used for food packaging) and will be printing on laser jet. The inkjet we have been using is a Canon model and It does a great job! The labels look great, but with moisture contact the ink smears. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your feedback!

Our weatherproof matte inkjet and weatherproof gloss inkjet materials provide excellent resistance to moisture and help prevent smearing when printing with an inkjet printer, but moving to a laser printer for this type of application is an excellent choice as well. Toner is inherently more durable to contact with moisture when compared directly to ink.

If you have any questions about your transition to laser printing please just let us know. We'll be happy to assist however we can!