Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 5/4/2019 3:27:28 PM(EST)
kimmeric

I print labels for someone who sells essential oils and other personal care products. I use the laser waterproof labels in my HP Color LaserJet Pro 500 MFP printer. I make sure the printer settings are correct using glossy. She says they smear. I see numerous forum subjects on this, but no real solutions. Frustrating! The waterproof labels were supposed to work. Any ideas please? Thank you.
#2 Posted : 5/5/2019 8:26:16 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Unfortunately, certain types of essential oils can cause the laser printer toner to break down effectively breaking down the bond between the laser printer toner and face stock of the label material. Do you have any details on the essential oils being used and the ingredients? We can have our R&D team do some research on the topic to make recommendations. This may be a situation where the customer may need to apply a clear label over the top of the label in order to help prevent the oils from touching the laser printer toner.

We are happy to do additional research on the issue to see if we can offer any advice or recommendations that help improve the situation.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
 1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: YourScentYourWay
#3 Posted : 5/7/2019 9:33:39 PM(EST)
bluejewel

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm glad this question was asked, because I'm about to start projects with essential oils but using an inkjet printer. I was told to adjust the printer for ink output. Could this help alleviate smear with essential oils?
 1 user thanked bluejewel for this useful post: YourScentYourWay
#4 Posted : 5/8/2019 8:10:53 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bluejewel Go to Quoted Post
I'm glad this question was asked, because I'm about to start projects with essential oils but using an inkjet printer. I was told to adjust the printer for ink output. Could this help alleviate smear with essential oils?

As Dave mentioned in his response above, results can vary depending on which essential oils are being used. Inkjet print tends to be somewhat less durable when compared directly to laser print, so we’d definitely recommend trying some sample sheets and testing different printer settings before placing a full order.

Typically, the photo or glossy setting will provide the most durable printing results. I’d definitely recommend adjusting your paper type settings to one of these options for maximum print durability.

If you’ve tried adjusting your print settings and notice that the print is still smearing you could potentially use apply clear labels over your printed labels to act as a sort of laminate. This would ensure that the ink would not smear.

I noticed you already have an order placed and that it’s scheduled to ship this afternoon. I’ll have one of our customer service representatives reach out to you before the order ships to discuss the best possible material options for your application. If you’d like to try samples before placing your order they’ll be more than happy to assist with that as well.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:49:40 AM(EST)  | Reason: Edited with additional information