Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/14/2020 2:31:57 AM(EST)
Gbhu2499

Canada

Does anybody have experience with HP inkjet printing with removable matte sticker paper? I have a laser Lexmark that works excellent with these, but toner can get expensive. I tried a new OfficeJet Pro and I am not getting clear results. A little blotchy here and there, I am sure it is a paper setting, but I am going through them all. I tried other matte, brochure matte, etc. I even tried photo, glossy. Those leave too much ink on the paper.
#2 Posted : 8/14/2020 3:17:41 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
The standard white matte sticker paper will behave quite differently when printed with an inkjet printer compared to a laser printer. This comes down to differences in the print technology, with the laser printer fusing toner to the surface of the sheet and the inkjet printer releasing liquid based ink that is absorbed into the material itself. Since the standard white matte is an uncoated paper material it will absorb ink at a greater rate compared to other coated inkjet surfaces such as glossy or weatherproof materials. This makes it tough to achieve identical results between laser printed material and inkjet printed material, but there are a couple steps you can take to improve the print results that you described when using an inkjet printer.

There are two printer settings that will typically determine your overall print results: paper type and print quality. You mentioned trying a variety of different paper type options in your post. In my experience, the best paper type options when using the standard white matte material with an HP Officejet printer is either plain paper or one of the photo/glossy settings. If you're printing with one of these options and you're not satisfied with the results then you may need to adjust the print quality setting as well:

- If you're seeing blotchy, uneven print when using the plain paper setting then you'll likely want to try increasing the print quality setting. As I mentioned above, uncoated paper materials have a tendency to be much more absorbent compared to coated materials. Increasing the print quality setting should output a higher volume of ink and even out the blotchy print results you've experienced.

- If you're experiencing too much ink being left on the page with the photo or glossy settings you could try reducing the print quality. This would decrease the ink volume and should allow the ink to set and dry faster. I usually stick with the normal quality setting when using a photo/glossy option. This may result in a longer dry time compared to the plain paper settings, but once the labels have dried this is usually where I see the best print results.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 8/19/2020 2:16:19 PM(EST)
Gbhu2499

Canada

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post
The standard white matte sticker paper will behave quite differently when printed with an inkjet printer compared to a laser printer. This comes down to differences in the print technology, with the laser printer fusing toner to the surface of the sheet and the inkjet printer releasing liquid based ink that is absorbed into the material itself. Since the standard white matte is an uncoated paper material it will absorb ink at a greater rate compared to other coated inkjet surfaces such as glossy or weatherproof materials. This makes it tough to achieve identical results between laser printed material and inkjet printed material, but there are a couple steps you can take to improve the print results that you described when using an inkjet printer.

There are two printer settings that will typically determine your overall print results: paper type and print quality. You mentioned trying a variety of different paper type options in your post. In my experience, the best paper type options when using the standard white matte material with an HP Officejet printer is either plain paper or one of the photo/glossy settings. If you're printing with one of these options and you're not satisfied with the results then you may need to adjust the print quality setting as well:

- If you're seeing blotchy, uneven print when using the plain paper setting then you'll likely want to try increasing the print quality setting. As I mentioned above, uncoated paper materials have a tendency to be much more absorbent compared to coated materials. Increasing the print quality setting should output a higher volume of ink and even out the blotchy print results you've experienced.

- If you're experiencing too much ink being left on the page with the photo or glossy settings you could try reducing the print quality. This would decrease the ink volume and should allow the ink to set and dry faster. I usually stick with the normal quality setting when using a photo/glossy option. This may result in a longer dry time compared to the plain paper settings, but once the labels have dried this is usually where I see the best print results.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have worded my post better. I am basically seeing some portions on the removable matte paper consistent to what my laser shoots out, but some areas just look like small dots everywhere. I have basically tried every setting there is. About 20 sheets.

regular paper prints 100% ok, so I know this printer just can't print consistently on this removable matte paper, or it's something else. I use 1200 DPI as well. Best quality. The printer itself is working fine from the regular paper test. I have talked to other sticker makers, and I am seeing this issue a lot with Office Jets.
#4 Posted : 8/19/2020 3:13:45 PM(EST)
Gbhu2499

Canada

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post

Oh man. I was testing these at night and I figured out that I was printing them on the wrong side and didn't even notice. I turned it around and it prints great on the plain setting. Today is the first day I tested it during the day and I noticed my old ones were all printed on the browner side. Then I peeled it off and figured out what I was wrong. My laser lods the pape rin the opposite side. Good thing I went back and double checked.

#5 Posted : 8/20/2020 10:13:59 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. The backing of the labels isn't graded for use in inkjet printers, so what you described in your initial post makes a lot more sense now. If you have any other questions moving forward please just let us know. We'll be happy to assist however we can!