Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/26/2021 12:44:28 AM(EST)
Mary1996

United States

Hello! I have had online labels sticker paper for quite some time and I know how to navigate around the smearing issue, however on my HP smart tank plus 551 every option to print smears when I glide my hand across the black ink. Even after waiting hours, it still smears. I sell stickers and don't want someone to be smoothing out a sticker and then it smears all over the place.

Is there a work around setting to stop this smear issue. Thank you
#2 Posted : 1/26/2021 9:06:21 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the smearing issue that you're experiencing. The OL177WX features an uncoated white matte facestock, which isn't usually susceptible to smearing after being allowed some time to dry. If you're still experiencing smearing after the sheets have been allowed to dry for hours then it's possible that the page has been oversaturated with ink.

I haven't had a chance to use the HP Smart Tank Plus 551 printer model, but I was able to locate the manual and find a few suggestions that may help resolve the issue. If you haven't already, the first thing I'd try is adjusting the paper type setting to a photo or glossy option. These paper type settings typically promote faster drying, in most cases coming out the printer completely dry and smudge-free. If you've tried adjusting the paper type setting and are still experiencing the smearing issue it's likely that oversaturation may be occurring. In this scenario, you may want to try adjusting the print quality setting down a level. This will output less ink volume, and should typically help with smearing issues as well.

The printer manual specifically mentions that running a cleaning cycle from the maintenance tab on the printer control panel can help resolve smearing and smudging issues as well. If you've already tried the suggestions listed above, I'd definitely try running the cleaning cycle to see if it improves your results.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know. You can also reach out directly to our customer service team for assistance by submitting a support ticket at the link below, or by dialing 1-888-575-2235.

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Mary1996