Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/14/2021 10:49:18 AM(EST)
Purepaletteco

United States

I’m branching out to make color labels using waterproof matte. I’ve heard that laser is better than inkjet. Thoughts? Either way, I really need a good color printer for professional looking labels. I purchased an expensive printer, tried it and it was terrible quality. Epson said that model would not support printing on vinyl. I’d love suggestions for good quality printers. Thanks!
#2 Posted : 3/15/2021 12:33:12 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
You really can't go wrong with either type of printer for printing weatherproof labels, as long as you're using a compatible weatherproof label material. Laser printing is inherently more durable when compared to inkjet printing, but if you're using one of our weatherproof inkjet label materials you should have no issues printing labels with an inkjet printer that will hold up to direct contact with moisture.

I've used a number of Epson inkjet printers with our inkjet label materials over the years and have always had positive results. Currently, the Epson Expression ET-2650 EcoTank is one of my most used inkjet printers, and it performs very well with our weatherproof inkjet materials. Using the correct printer settings is an important factor when it comes to inkjet printing on weatherproof materials. Most printers are set as default to print on white copy paper, but adjusting the material type to an option like photo or glossy will typically provide much more durable results. If you're looking for an inkjet recommendation other than Epson, I've had a ton of success using various models from the Canon PIXMA series of printers over the years.

If you decide to go with a laser printer I'd recommend an HP Color LaserJet Pro model. I've used a number of different models from this series of printers and have always been impressed by their performance with our weatherproof laser materials.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 3/16/2021 10:37:48 AM(EST)
Purepaletteco

United States

Thank you, Josh! This was very helpful.
#4 Posted : 3/16/2021 10:49:31 AM(EST)
Purepaletteco

United States

One more question Josh. Is this an older model? I can't find it for sale anywhere, except Amazon for almost $800. Is that the going price?

Thanks!
#5 Posted : 3/16/2021 2:58:04 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
It does look like the ET-2650 model is discontinued at this point, which is probably the reason for the extremely high third party pricing on Amazon. The major printer manufacturers tend to roll out new models frequently. I haven't had a chance to test the newest models, but I'd tend to trust any of the printer model series listed in my original response. You should be able to find newer models at lower prices, either through Amazon or directly through the manufacturer websites. Just make sure you're making the recommended settings adjustments to ensure the best possible print results and durability.