Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/17/2021 4:15:40 AM(EST)
KrisW

United States

Hi there,

I'm struggling with print quality when it comes to alignment of the labels. I have the HP LaserJet Pro M404n Monochrome Laser Printer and print on 1.25x2.25 and 2.83x2.75 and 1.8 and 2" square weatherproof polyester labels. I'm using the template provided my online labels and I'm ultra careful about loading my paper tray to get the labels straight, with the tray sides aligned perfectly. However it never fails that the labels are printing off. Sometimes its off on one column but not the others. I had to start measuring every single label on every sheet to see how off they are. I understand there being a slight variation....slight. But it's just too much. I've gone through probably 100 1.25x2.25 labels just wasted Trying to get a quality print. I was wondering if any one has any tips on a printer that works better with vinyl labels? I can't keep wasting money printing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

Kris
#2 Posted : 3/18/2021 12:04:56 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the alignment issues that you're experiencing. Looking back at your previous posts, it looks like you're loading the label material into Tray 2 of the printer, which is the pull-out drawer tray. I read through the manual and troubleshooting documents for the HP LaserJet Pro M404n this morning and HP states that any type of specialty paper, like photo paper or labels, should be run through Tray 1 instead. Tray 1 is the manual feed tray, which provides a simpler feed path through the printer and tends to allow for more consistency on heavier, specialty material types.

Tray 1 seems to be almost hidden on these printer models. I took a look through their documentation and found a quick video from HP's official support team illustrating how to access Tray 1 on your printer. You can view the video at the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUTeggOaDM

If you haven't tried using Tray 1 yet I'd definitely recommend doing so before shopping for a new printer. You'll also want to make sure you're selecting an appropriate paper type setting from the printer options. I've typically had the best results when using a photo, glossy, or labels setting. Using one of these paper type settings tends to slow the printer feed down, which can have a positive impact on alignment as well.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the HP LaserJet Pro M404n myself, but I've used our weatherproof polyester material in a number of other HP LaserJet printers and have had a ton of success when following the steps listed above.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.