Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/29/2021 1:06:10 PM(EST)
MrsDorsey214

United States

Hi all!

I'm currently using an HP Envy Photo 7855 to print on clear gloss for inkjet (OL177CK). I am using the printer setting "other glossy inkjet papers" and quality set to "best." The issue I'm having is that the ink seems to never completely dry. I'm making clear planner stickers, so being able to get them off the sheet without getting ink on my fingers is necessary. Sidenote, I am experiencing this issue regardless of time passed after printing...sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks. So it seems to me that there is some ink that is sitting on top of the paper, rather than absorbing? Any ideas or recommendations would be great, and much appreciated!
Thanks!!
#2 Posted : 6/29/2021 3:13:40 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MrsDorsey214 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all!

I'm currently using an HP Envy Photo 7855 to print on clear gloss for inkjet (OL177CK). I am using the printer setting "other glossy inkjet papers" and quality set to "best." The issue I'm having is that the ink seems to never completely dry. I'm making clear planner stickers, so being able to get them off the sheet without getting ink on my fingers is necessary. Sidenote, I am experiencing this issue regardless of time passed after printing...sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks. So it seems to me that there is some ink that is sitting on top of the paper, rather than absorbing? Any ideas or recommendations would be great, and much appreciated!
Thanks!!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're dealing with and I'll be happy to help however I can. I haven't had a chance to use the HP Envy Photo 7855 personally, but I do have some experience with other HP Envy printer models. There are a couple suggestions I can make that should help resolve the issue that you're experiencing.

Have you tried experimenting with any other paper type settings? When using other printer models from the HP Envy series, I've had the best results when setting the paper type to one of the photo paper options. If you haven't already, I'd try using either "HP Photo Papers" or "Other Photo Inkjet Papers" for the paper type setting. I've seen much better print durability and drying times when using one of the specialized photo settings compared to any of the other options.

If you've made that adjustment and are still experiencing print that does not seem to be drying fully, it's possible that the topcoat is being oversaturated with ink. All of our inkjet compatible film materials feature a topcoat that is designed to absorb ink so that it dries properly, since the film material itself isn't porous or absorbent like paper-based materials. If the inkjet topcoat is oversaturated, any excess ink may be susceptible to smearing or smudging with even a dry touch. You mentioned in your original post that you're using the best quality setting, which typically does ramp up the volume of ink being output onto the surface of the sheet. In my experience with other HP Envy models, one of the photo paper type settings coupled with the normal quality setting typically provides the best results. You may be able to use the best quality setting with the photo paper type setting, but if you're still experiencing smearing or smudging I'd definitely recommend trying the normal quality setting to see if the results are improved.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.