Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/19/2021 7:45:02 PM(EST)
KrisW

United States

Hi there,

I purchased an HP Laser 404n and print on a waterproof vinyl labels in various sizes. I've had no problems with the initial toner that came with the printer, but when I put in my first toner, it was causing lines. I replaced that toner with a new one (always HP toners) and now I'm seeing this light shading throughout the labels when there definitely wasn't before. It's not very noticeable but at the same time I see it and since we sell our labels, this issue needs to be resolved and I'm struggling with what to do. When I put the old toner back in, there's no issues. I've used cleaning sheets, I've run the clean cycle a few times. It seems like the higher the setting, using labels or heavy, the worse it is. the lower the setting, the lighter it is.

Any thoughts? I'm afraid I need to buy a new printer. I can't put this on hold too long.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might be able to give. I much appreciate it.

Kris
#2 Posted : 7/20/2021 11:08:39 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. Based on your description, it seems as if the problem may be isolated to the toner cartridge. If you're able to reinstall the original toner cartridge and achieve high quality prints then the lines and shading issues you've encountered seem likely to be caused by the new toner cartridges somehow. Before shopping for a new printer there are definitely some steps you can take to try and resolve the issues that you've reported.

I was able to locate the manual for your specific printer model. One of the first suggestions for troubleshooting print quality issues is to print a series of cleaning pages. It sounds like you've already tried this, but they list some other suggestions as well.

- Check the supplies status page to see if there are any reported issues with the problematic toner cartridge or any of the other replaceable maintenance parts that the printer uses. You can print the supplies status page by navigating to "Setup" and then "Reports" from the LCD screen on your printer.

- Visually inspect the toner cartridge. Remove the problematic cartridge from the printer and ensure that any sealing tape has been removed. Check the memory chip for damage. Examine the surface of the green imaging drum. If you notice any scratches, finger prints, or other abnormalities then you'll likely need a different cartridge.

- Try a different paper type setting. We typically recommend photo, glossy, or labels settings for our weatherproof laser materials. Adjusting to a different paper type setting could potentially offset the minor differences you're seeing with the new toner cartridge.

- Check the EconoMode settings. If EconoMode is currently enabled, then try disabling the option. Make sure you change the setting both from your printer's LCD screen and from the print settings on your computer.

- If you're noticing lines or streaks on the printed pages, the manual says to try removing the cartridge and shaking it to redistribute the toner.

- If you're seeing shading issues, dark print, or a gray background then the manual suggests reducing the toner density setting to a lower level.

If you'd like to review the troubleshooting section of the manual for additional tips, it begins on page 106 at the manual linked below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06177490.pdf

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any additional information.