Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 9/24/2023 5:32:56 PM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

I have an issue with my ink on the Weatherproof Gloss (inkjet) Smearing when it gets wet. I'm using the labels for wine bottles and if they get wet they smear. I have read several post and made adjustment to my printer. I have an HP office Jet Pro 8600. I am using HP Ink. I have may print options set to Glossy Photo Paper and Quality set to normal. I am using only the black ink. I do have two other options for Glossy paper. Everyday Glossy and Brochure Glossy, I thought this may be closer to Photo glossy. I am wondering if there was any other options I could try.

[img=https://share.icloud.com/photos/018vDLYIoQCMAaNO9Ln-G6jcQ]Lable[/img]

#2 Posted : 9/25/2023 9:11:55 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I apologize for the print quality issues you're seeing on the Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet (WI). Our Product Testing Team has had great success with HP brand models and has specifically tested the HP Officejet Pro 8600 with our weatherproof inkjet materials. I was able to confirm that the "Other Photo Papers" media setting and the "Normal" quality setting have yielded great results in our testing.

You mentioned that you are using black ink only. Did you set your printer to print in grayscale or did you mean you're only using black in your design?
#3 Posted : 9/25/2023 9:29:15 AM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

Originally Posted by: Jessica R. Go to Quoted Post
I apologize for the print quality issues you're seeing on the Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet (WI). Our Product Testing Team has had great success with HP brand models and has specifically tested the HP Officejet Pro 8600 with our weatherproof inkjet materials. I was able to confirm that the "Other Photo Papers" media setting and the "Normal" quality setting have yielded great results in our testing.

You mentioned that you are using black ink only. Did you set your printer to print in grayscale or did you mean you're only using black in your design?

In the print options, I have the print in color option set to off. I am using a Mac and HP Officejet Pro 8600-AirPrint 3.0 driver. I don't see the "Other Photo Papers" My options are:

Photo Advance Paper
Brochure Gloss Paper
Brochure Matte Paper
Everyday Glossy Paper
Everyday Matte Paper
Photo Premium Paper
Photo Glossy Paper
Plain Paper
#4 Posted : 9/25/2023 10:01:44 AM(EST)
Jessica

Thank you for clarifying the black ink setting and sharing the system details. If you haven't already, try testing the photo paper options: Photo Premium Paper,
Photo Glossy Paper, and Photo Advance Paper.

Please let me know if one of these options doesn't resolve the issue.
#5 Posted : 9/25/2023 10:23:18 AM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

I tried the Photo Glossy Paper and that does smear after 24 hours. I printed the following below and I will let them dry for 24 hours and test tomorrow and update you.

Photo Advance Paper
Everyday Glossy Paper
Photo Premium Paper

Thanks

#6 Posted : 9/26/2023 10:42:07 AM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

I just did a water test and they all smear but the Photo Advance Paper and Everyday Glossy Paper smeared the lease. I will give the photo advance paper the run for now on. I guess there is nothing else a person can do except spraying with some top coating or do you have other ideas?

#7 Posted : 9/26/2023 11:09:12 AM(EST)
Jessica

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is still occurring. I am a bit surprised as we've tested our materials with this specific printer model and had great success with the recommended paper-type settings. Just to confirm again, you are still using a normal/standard print quality as well? This should prevent the ink from oversaturating the waterproof topcoat.

Drying times shouldn't be longer than 24 hours with the right paper type and print quality setting. If it's still smearing after 24 hours, it's a result of oversaturation. If your printer has settings for print density, saturation, or intensity, try reducing those values to improve the output.

Regarding overcoat sprays, these aren't often needed but can be helpful if you're only able to minimize smearing and not resolve it altogether. We used to recommend Krylon's Preserve It! spray, but this is no longer on the market. However, we've received feedback from customers who were able to successfully use other brand waterproofing sprays, which can be found in most craft stores.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any additional information.
#8 Posted : 9/26/2023 1:20:40 PM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

Yes I have the print quality set to Normal Quality. There is a draft quality which I just tried. It prints just like it looks with the Normal Quality. I'll let it dry until tomorrow and test it.
#9 Posted : 9/27/2023 9:05:03 PM(EST)
silverbullet

United States

Tested the draft quality and it smears to. When you say the HP office Jet Pro 8600 printer was tested, do they rub the ink after it is wet or do they just run water over it? Mine smears when you run your finger over it when wet. Just wanting to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks
#10 Posted : 9/28/2023 8:53:39 AM(EST)
Jessica

Our testing on the weatherproof materials does include rubbing the print while dry and wet to confirm durability. Unfortunately, we're not able to do any new testing with this model as it's been discontinued by HP, and we've since upgraded our inkjet printers.

If you haven't already, check if the printer driver allows you to adjust for print density, saturation, or intensity. If so, you can try reducing those values to improve the output.

I apologize that we aren't able to offer any other recommendations to help you resolve the issue. If you'd like to look into an alternative material or custom printed labels, please feel free to reach out to Customer Support at 888-575-2235.