Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/13/2023 9:24:10 AM(EST)
Origin Trade Goods

Hi everyone!

I am looking for recommendations for a budget friendly printer for weatherproof polyester laser and white gloss laser. I do not print much right now, probably around 30-40 pages per month. The labels are all white on black background, so I'm ok with a monochrome printer, but not opposed to color to have the option in the future. I'd love to be around $200 for the printer, if possible. Thank you for any help you can offer!

Tom Hull
#2 Posted : 11/13/2023 10:19:31 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would be glad to help you. Our label materials undergo various tests on different printers to determine their performance and to provide customers with recommended settings. Although we have not tested every printer model in-house, we have observed that many popular models from Hewlett-Packard, Epson, and Canon work well with our materials. We have also received positive feedback from our customers on the same.

We recommend that you check the printer model's specifications before purchasing to ensure that it can handle specialty label materials like Weatherproof Polyester Laser and White Gloss Laser. This is often listed as "supported paper types" and may list "film" or "synthetic" and "glossy." Additionally, you might want to consider the printer's printable area because many printers have at least one non-printable margin, which may prevent printing to the edge of the sheet or label if the margins are narrow.

You can click here to read more about non-printable margins.

If you need additional help finding a new printer model, please let me know.
#3 Posted : 11/13/2023 11:43:45 AM(EST)
Origin Trade Goods

Thank you!

Do any of your customers recommend any specific models? I have seen in other posts occasionally your staff have recommended certain models. Also, have you had any feedback on print quality from those brands vs your in house print quality?
#4 Posted : 11/13/2023 12:48:18 PM(EST)
Origin Trade Goods

I tried posting a reply, but it is not posting.

Are there any specific labels that your coworkers or clients have rated well? And will those paper types be listed as anything other than what you listed (ie bond, label, etc)?
#5 Posted : 11/13/2023 2:15:48 PM(EST)
Jessica

I apologize for the concern but it looks like we received both posts. I was able to review some of our customer communications and recent forum posts and found this printer model mentioned: HP Laserjet Pro 3001d. The customer was interested in printing on the Weatherproof Silver Polyester Laser (SP) material, and we were able to confirm that the printer model specifications include support for film and glossy materials, which are similar to our Weatherproof Polyester Laser (LP) and White Gloss Laser (WS) materials. Although we haven't tested this model, it appears to be within your budget and compatible with our materials.

As far as our Product Testing Team offering recommendations, they've shared that the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers have worked consistently well with our materials.

Bond and Label paper type settings are generally for thicker, heavier papers. When printing film-based materials like LP, a Transparency paper type will provide the best toner fusion.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information, please just let me know.

#6 Posted : 11/20/2023 10:58:07 AM(EST)
Origin Trade Goods

Hi Jessica,

I'm looking at this printer, but it does not list transparency as a media type. I know Josh has recommended the Canon ImageClass line on these forums before, is there any way you or someone else could look into this and see if it might meet my needs? I know I said white on black before, but something has come up and I may be printing color. Could you also make suggestions on a paper setting to start with? Thanks!

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/color-imageclass-lbp632cdw?color=White&type=New
#7 Posted : 11/20/2023 11:34:41 AM(EST)
Origin Trade Goods

I'm also interested in any information you can provide on how many sheets of labels I can expect to get from a toner cartridge!
#8 Posted : 11/21/2023 8:39:50 AM(EST)
Jessica

I'm happy to look into this printer for you. I've linked the manual for the LBP632Cdw model below, which goes over the supported papers on pages 417 and 418. It does list heavy, labels, and coated paper type settings, which can be used for many of our materials. However, pages 102 and 103 go over the "Precautions for Paper," which states that glossy papers should not be used. While the Canon imageCLASS series has worked well when tested by our Product Development Team as well as customers, I'm not able to confirm that this specific model would be ideal for film-based materials like our weatherproof options.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300043957/01/LBP633Cdw_UsersGuide_usEN.pdf

Regarding the output of the toner cartridges, most manufacturers should list an estimate on the product description and packaging. This, however, is based on an estimated 5% print coverage, so you can expect a lower output of pages per cartridge if printing full coverage designs on the labels.