Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/28/2014 9:31:13 AM(EST)
Mark

United States

Hi! I have ordered a lot of labels from onlinelabels.com and they are the best by far :)

I have 4"x2" RC OL125WX labels that I am trying to put on white plastic bottles and the edges keep peeling up slightly. It looks bad on me as a company! My question is: Is there anything I can do or use to help the edges stick better?

I have washed the bottles to make sure they were clean.

Note: In no way, are the labels bad & I'm not insinuating that they are (I have ordered plenty to know that they're great labels) I'm just having issues with these labels.

thanks for your time,
Mark
#2 Posted : 1/29/2014 6:49:21 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Mark - There are a few options that you may want to consider if you are having issues with the labels starting to butterfly at the corners.

I have some questions for you in regards to the issue that may help us to find a solution for you.

Is this a recent issue that just started happening or has it always happened when using our OL125WX labels on the bottles?

Here are few thoughts that I have in regards to your issue.

Are the bottles at room temperature when you apply the labels? Is there a cold or hot substance in the bottles when you apply the labels? It may have something to do with the application temperature when you are putting the labels on the bottles. Sometimes the temperature of the bottle (too cold or too hot) at the time the label is applied can impact how well it sticks to the bottle.

What is the age of the labels? In some rare cases, we will sometimes start to see a slight degradation of the adhesive after about 1.5 - 2 years. The recommended shelf-life for our standard white matte product is about 2 years. The labels will stick much longer than that, but the adhesive will slowly degrade over time. I have sometimes seen issues when a customer has had labels on shelf for years and starts to use them after a couple of years.

What is the size of the bottle? How tight is the radius of the bottle? The tighter the radius of the bottle the more likely we are to have issues with butterflying at the corners.

In some cases, it is just an incompatibility between the adhesive on our standard white matte labels and the plastic on your bottles. If it is truly an incompatibility between the adhesive and the bottles then here are a few suggestions.

We have a stronger all temperature adhesive available. It is our product OL125AT. It will stick much better than the OL125WX to a variety of surfaces. You can check out pricing information at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol125at.htm

Another recommendation is to change to a label that wraps all the way around the bottle back onto itself. Assuming you have at least 0.25" overlap onto the label itself then the label shouldn't butterfly at the corners. I am not sure the size of the bottle, but we have a variety of label sizes that work well on bottles. You can check out some of our most popular bottle label sizes at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/bottles.aspx

I am happy to send you samples of any of our products for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

Please let me know which of these solutions work best for you, and we are happy to continue troubleshooting the issue.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:50:30 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : 2/9/2014 10:02:18 PM(EST)
greenacres101

Just wanted to chime in regarding the adhesion properties of the labels I have (OL800WX). I just used some today on cardstock paper, and did notice that the labels stick to themselves better than the cardstock. But then I looked up when I had purchased these labels, and found out that they were bought in 2006! So, all in all, not much adhesive degradation after almost eight years.
#4 Posted : 3/2/2014 12:47:39 PM(EST)
wwsmith

United States

We also have occasional problems with edges not sticking. We can't put labels on at room temperature before we bottle because if there is overflow the labels smear. We bottle beer at a brewery. We wish there was a label that was more waterproof, we still take the extra step of coating them with a spray.
#5 Posted : 11/13/2017 12:42:40 AM(EST)
tommy4230

United States

Hello,

I have the same problem with my customized label's size from onlinelabels.com. Two edges were butterflied at the corner. It is my nightmare right now as we are a cosmetic producer. This problem is not acceptable in the cosmetic market. I still have this struggle and does not know how to show a problem. A customer service's teller from onlinelabels.com just recommended to use alcohol to clean the jar before applying the label, but it did not work at all. The label popped up at two edges after 1 hour of applying the label. The aggressive white matte does not have waterproof. This requirement is too important to use waterproof inkjet matte label.

Applying overlapped label with extra 0.25" on the edge is another solution, but onlinelabels.com ask me to spend extra money for a new label. What happened to the old one, especially I spent double amount for the customized label's size!!!

I hope onlinelabels.com should have a better solution to support your customer.

Thank you

Khoa Nguyen
#6 Posted : 11/13/2017 2:29:09 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Khoa -

I was able to locate your account in our system and read through the email correspondence with our customer service representative. Based on the information posted here as well as in the support ticket, I do think that an overlapping label will likely be the best possible solution to your issue.

I know that you're concerned about needing a new custom sized label, but if we can determine that the overlap resolves your problem we'll be happy to work with you on potentially picking up the initial order and replacing it with a size that works better for you.

Before we can do that though, we need to determine that an overlapped label will improve adhesion to your container. I'd like to send you a few different label samples to test on your container. Each of these samples will be one of our standard sizes so the label heights might not be perfect, but it will allow you to test the overlap and make sure that the longer labels do stick better to the surface of your container.

If you try the samples and are happy with the way the labels are sticking we'll have one of our customer service representatives work with you on potentially replacing your order. If you do happen to find that the label height on one of these samples does work for your application, you may be able to get away with ordering a standard product rather than a custom product in the future.

I'll have the sample sheets sent out for you this afternoon. Once you've received the samples and tested them on your application, please just let us know how you'd like to proceed.
#7 Posted : 11/13/2017 4:33:59 PM(EST)
tommy4230

United States

Dear Josh,

I am so happy with your fast response.

The custom size label 6.5"x1" ordered from you has the butterflied issue. I already tried to cut a longer label 7"x1" from a full waterproof matter label sheet (I received this label sheet as a sample from your company 2 months ago) and do overlap label. It works well on the frosted jar although the label just overlaps 0.1" (The circumference of the jar 2oz is 6.908"). I don't see the butterflied issue on the label. I really need a label 7"x1" or 7.15"x1" for my product.

I am rushing to find a solution to solve this problem. Can you send a representative to work with me on potentially replacing my order? After looking on your website, I saw you have a label OL8500WJ 7"x1" but the vertical space between these labels on a label sheet is 0". Currently, I don't see other options besides this label sheet.

Thank you

Khoa Nguyen
#8 Posted : 11/13/2017 5:51:18 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Khoa,
I assume you need the vertical spacing between the labels because you are running a different color at the top / bottom of the label. I checked the custom size section of our site and I see we have a couple of special order sizes that are pretty close to your requirement that do have some spacing between the labels.

Would either of these configurations possibly work from a size perspective?

7.25" x 0.875" - https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL2594.htm

7.3125" x 1.125" - https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL2111.htm

Let us know your thoughts and we can have a representative reach out from customer service to work with you.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#9 Posted : 11/13/2017 11:44:39 PM(EST)
tommy4230

United States

Hi Dave,

Yes, I absolutely need the vertical spacing between the labels. The spacing is very important to me because I can avoid all the minor errors from printing. From two suggestions listed in the previous message, I would like to go with the size 7.3125" x 1.125" because it makes my product more beautiful.

I hope to receive a support from your customer service soon because I have to order the new label this week.

Thanks
#10 Posted : 11/14/2017 2:54:00 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: tommy4230 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dave,

Yes, I absolutely need the vertical spacing between the labels. The spacing is very important to me because I can avoid all the minor errors from printing. From two suggestions listed in the previous message, I would like to go with the size 7.3125" x 1.125" because it makes my product more beautiful.

I hope to receive a support from your customer service soon because I have to order the new label this week.

Thanks

Khoa,
I spoke to our customer service manager a little while ago. Our customer service manager confirmed to me that he reached out and was able to speak with you. He let me know that he set up a return of the product that wasn't working for you and that you all discussed an order for the new items.

Thanks for your business.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#11 Posted : 11/14/2017 3:03:34 PM(EST)
tommy4230

United States

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your support. Both of us have not expected this issue. I am sure not to change my mind about onlinelabels.com. I still keep doing more business with you in the future. From that experiences, I will be more careful in the future before placing an order online. Your customer service is excellent.

Thank you
#12 Posted : 11/14/2017 3:11:40 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: tommy4230 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your support. Both of us have not expected this issue. I am sure not to change my mind about onlinelabels.com. I still keep doing more business with you in the future. From that experiences, I will be more careful in the future before placing an order online. Your customer service is excellent.

Thank you

Thanks for the nice feedback. I'm glad we were able to help. Feel free to reach out if you need any additional support.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com