Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/23/2014 6:05:27 PM(EST)
humanbeans

United States

I'm in the market for a new printer and I'd like to hear recommendations from people that are happy with what they have. I have had at least 4-5 printers over the past 10 years and I haven't been completely happy with any of them. Printing is an essential part of my business. I need clear, crisp, colorful labels that actually print centered on the labels (I swear I end up throwing half of them away because my current printer doesn't pull the stinkin' label in straight). I'd like somewhat cost effective printer/ink, but at this point, I'm will to do just about anything...I need a good printer! Thanks for any insight!
#2 Posted : 2/24/2014 11:06:21 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Do you have a preference in regards to inkjet printing or laser printing? Is there a specific label material that you primarily print on?

While we aren't able to test every inkjet and laser printer available on the market, we do send out printer feedback surveys to our customers that allow them to rate their printer's performance with the specific material types they use most. I'd be happy to pull data from these surveys to make a few printer recommendations. If you have preferences related to the questions listed above I can even pull data specific to your requirements.
#3 Posted : 2/24/2014 6:02:46 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm actually in the middle of wrestling with several issues dealing with printing labels, but one thing that has given me surprisingly little difficulty and some pretty amazing results is my Lexmark Pinnacle all in one printer. Its one of those all in one machines, and they probably don't make this exact model anymore. But I have been very impressed, especially with my current labeling needs. I'm prototyping come hand held electronic products that should really have labels for the controls laser printed right onto the plastic, but i can't justify that expense for a dozen pieces of a product that will probably change during test market. the next best thing is a label to cover the entire control panel. Since the plastic boxes are black, these would have to be completely black with white text and some graphics, with absolutely no gaps in the black, and no bleeding of the black into the text or graphic areas. I'd be lying if I said I did not have to experiment, both with the printer settings and the label type (weatherproof? matte? gloss?). But I can tell you that this printer has done an amazing job. I'll also say that whenever I had a problem with this printer, their online warrantee service never gave me any grief. Oh and here's another amazing thing... despite the guy at staples telling me no "all in one' will do any paper stock over about 60lbs, I'be put 120lb card stock through this thing, with no problems at all. And NO... i DON'T work for Lexmark! :-)

#4 Posted : 2/24/2014 6:11:26 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm actually in the middle of wrestling with several issues dealing with printing labels, issues like lamination, top coatings, etc. But one thing that I haven't had to worry about, and has given me some pretty amazing results is my Lexmark Pinnacle all in one printer. Its one of those all in one machines, and they probably don't make this exact model anymore. But I have been very impressed, especially with my current labeling needs.

Consider that I'm prototyping some hand held electronic products that should really have labels for all the controls laser printed right onto the plastic. But I can't justify that expense for a dozen pieces of a product that will probably change during test market. So the next best thing is a label to cover my entire recessed control panel. Since the plastic boxes are black, these would have to be completely black with white text and some graphics, with absolutely no gaps in the black, and no bleeding of the black into the text or graphic areas. I'd be lying if I said I did not have to experiment, both with the printer settings (I've written some other forum posts about the settings I found best) and the label type (weatherproof? matte? gloss?). It is an inkjet printer, and of course ink can be fussy. Laser printers are probably even better, though its my understanding that color laser printers have a hard time with the range of color you can get out of inkjet. They are also obviously more expensive.

But I can tell you that as an inkjet, this Lexmark printer has done an amazing job. I'll also say that whenever I had a problem with this printer, their online warrantee service never gave me any grief. Oh and here's another amazing thing... despite the guy at staples telling me no "all in one' will do any paper stock over about 60lbs, I've put 120lb card stock through this thing, with no problems at all. And NO... i DON'T work for Lexmark! :-)

The only problem with inkjets, I am finding that with such large areas of black, I can't depend on the "onlinelabels.com" weatherproof [roduct to be really weatherproof. For that, you need a top coat, which is what I'm working on now. :-)

#5 Posted : 2/24/2014 9:44:05 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Oh... and I use my lexmark to print those tiny Avery 5267 address labels too. At leats using MS word tempalte, they are perfectly centered every time. of course, your mileage may vary.
#6 Posted : 2/25/2014 9:54:50 AM(EST)
humanbeans

United States

Thanks, Peter Pan! And Josh, yes, that would be VERY helpful! I currently print quite a bit on 110 lb. cardstock and use OL5375WX, OL325WX, OL400WX standard matte labels. I would like to change to glossy, though.

I have always purchased inkjets but I'm willing to switch to a laser printer if I can find a reasonable one. If you could share info for both options, that would be great!

I have never owned a Canon but have read some good reviews...but, then again, you always have people unhappy customer reviews too. I'm off to check out the Lexmark and see what I can find.

Thank you!
#7 Posted : 2/25/2014 3:46:41 PM(EST)
jsmith

United States

I am a huge HP fan. In the early days of my business I tried Canon, Epson, etc. and they were okay for a while but did not hold up to the amount of printing that I did and the quality that I needed. Then I found my first desktop HP. What a workhorse!! And beautiful crisp, clean printing everytime. Through the years I have found that all of my HP's are amazing workhorse machines with very little, if any, printing problems experienced. I currently just upgraded to the HP Office Jet Pro 8600 (for a total of $112. offered directly by calling HP) and I LOVE it.
#8 Posted : 2/26/2014 11:50:07 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I've pulled printer feedback survey results for customers using our standard white matte and cardstock materials. As far as inkjet printers go, the highest rated options are listed below:

HP Officejet Pro 8600
Canon PIXMA MP640
HP Officejet Pro 8500
Epson Artisan 700
Brother DCP-770CW
HP Photosmart D110

The highest rated laser options according to the surveys can be found in the following list:

HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 color M551
HP LaserJet 4050
Brother HL-2140
Brother HL-2270DW
HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color

It's important to note that we have not had the opportunity to test each of these printer models in house, so I'm unable to provide specific details regarding features and pricing. The recommendations are based solely off of multiple positive survey results from our customer base.

If you should require any additional information please just let me know. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can!
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: SkysLipBalms
#9 Posted : 3/8/2014 3:46:09 PM(EST)
AshleyNoel

United States

Hello,

My printer works well with the labels and the "online labels" software. When I go to print my labels though, I prefer to change the printer setting to "Print On Photopaper" to ensure a successful print, as I tend to use the kraft paper labels. I have an HP Photosmart C4200 Series printer, but I have also used an older HP PSC 1500 Series printer that worked just as well.

I hope that helped..

~Ashley
#10 Posted : 3/12/2014 8:12:57 PM(EST)
humanbeans

United States

Wow! Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!
#11 Posted : 4/1/2014 3:28:20 PM(EST)
FoodVacBags

United States

For shipping label printing, we love our Zebra LP2844. It's a workhorse! We print thousands of labels per month and it gives us no trouble at all. No ink either, as it's a thermal printer.