Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/5/2014 2:10:10 PM(EST)
HectorT

United States

Hello there,

Im new to the forum and this is my first post and its a plea for help. My girlfriend and i have a small hair product business and have recently purchased the laser weatherproof poly paper and also purchased a new HP laser jet pro 200 m251nw lair printer to help us do the lane work at home.

Here come the problems/issues: we were printing through staples before all this and unfortunately we messed up 2 of their machines due to the type of paper (weather poly) we were using and so we we decided to do it ourselves which brings us to the present. When i first printed on regular paper the prints came out beautifully and then when we tried using the label paper we saw that the bottom labels were off centered and there was a ring going down the paper which in turn messed up the labels. Ive tried adjusting the paper options on the printer, I've done glossy, labels, heavy card well pretty much the main type of options on this printer. Another issue is what size is the paper: A4, A5, letter…,? there are a few options to choose from.

We are stuck and have trying to get some help and maybe a simple step by step for those who have had this issue in the past or have heard of anyone with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated because we really want to keep online labels as our go-to company for our small growing business. Thank you for lending an ear and have a great day.

#2 Posted : 3/5/2014 9:28:46 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. I took a quick look at your account to try see what items you are using on your project. It looks like you have multiple items that you have purchased from us. Are you experiencing the formatting issue on both items - the OL7225LP (3" Circle) and the OL5525LP (2.875" Circle)?

Can you provide any details on the item and let me know the specifics of the template (or software) that you are using? When you print onto regular paper is label design in the exact same location as when you print onto the label sheets? I want to try to establish if the printer is slipping when feeding the label material or if it is a template issue.

Can you better explain this "ring"? I am not sure exactly what you mean.

We are happy to trouble shoot the issue and I am pretty confident that we can resolve nearly any issue.

#3 Posted : 3/5/2014 10:39:49 PM(EST)
HectorT

United States

Hey dcarmany,

Thank you for your assistance with my issue and yes I'm having problems with both the 2.875" and the 3". We had been going through Staples to get the labels done but every time there was an issue either with the color, the alignment, those rings i spoke of eventually and twice the paper jammed their printers. We recently invested in the HP laser jet pro 200 m251nw laser printer because we figured we would save the people at staples or anywhere the headaches of jamming their equipment (i actually called about 10 places for help with our paper and each one said no and that they wouldn't even try to play with our paper) Which brings us to the present, brand new printer and although it prints perfectly on regular paper even laser type shipping label paper (Avery brand) its been giving us the issue with the rings and just recently a chip of the ink came off.

As far as the template we use, its the one provided on your site for both of the sizes and we tried using the maestro but ended using Photoshop and illustrator. Everything is centered on the picture but as soon a we print on the label sheet the middle row starts shifting a bit and the bottom row has significant shifting in it. When i print onto regular paper everything is fine and centered and you can clearly see the template lines. As for the "ring", its like if the excess ink that dips into the crevice of the die cut gets transferred onto the paper as its printing. I hope that paints a better picture on the ring issue, my theory on it is that we made the bleed too big on the image and as it prints the ink that gets into the small die cut space and then gets transferred on the paper as it prints.

I really hope you can provide a solution for my issue because i really want to keep you guys as my label company especially since you lowered the price on the 3" labels. I spoke to one of your other representatives a Steven Brown and he is also willing to help me. Believe me all the help i can get would be great, i sent him an image of what my paper and the "rings" look like. Thank you again!
#4 Posted : 3/7/2014 8:25:11 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I had a chance to speak with Steve Brown in customer service. He showed me a picture/image that you provided to us for review. He also let me know that he is currently working with you through the phone and email to resolve the issue.

The rings are definitely being caused by toner residue on the fuser roller. Have you tried getting rid of the dark black border on your design to see if the rings still print. As a test, I would try removing the black border or go to a less dense color to see if the black rings still appear. If we can confirm that the dark black border is the cause then it will help us to further trouble shoot the issue.

Looking at your design, I think that small border makes the design very challenging to align. In your case, the slightest movement of the sheet while feeding through the printer or on the in-feed would likely cause the labels to be out alignment. From a design perspective, I would highly recommend that you move away from having that border in your design. I think having that border will result in a lot more wasted sheets over time since there are variables outside of your control (e.g. slight movement in printer feed, etc.). If you are going to keep a border then I would make the border thicker and make sure that it bleeds at least 1/8" - 1/4" over the edge of the label. That will make it less obvious when there is some movement during the printer process. We obviously need to resolve the "ring" issue before we can focus on that border though.

Here is a link to a few articles that I think may be helpful.

This article shows how to create a bleed on your design:
http://www.onlinelabels.com/Support/Maestro/AlignmentGuide/Printer-Bleed.aspx

This article discusses best strategy for aligning label sheets when printing:
http://www.onlinelabels.com/Support/Maestro/AlignmentGuide/Design-Tolerance.aspx

Steve Brown let me know that he is troubleshooting the issue with you and he is happy to send replacement sheets for further testing until we find a resolution that you are happy with.