Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 5/27/2014 12:29:09 PM(EST)
MelanieR

United States

Hi!
I was hoping to get some recommendations for a color laser printer that can handle the small side margins of, say, the 2" circle labels. I would like to print solid color labels so I need the color to go slightly past the edge of the 0.15625" margin. So I assume I'm looking for a printer with a .125" minimum margin. Can you suggest such a printer?

Thanks!
#2 Posted : 5/28/2014 4:14:36 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'll be happy to offer any guidance that I can. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a desktop laser printer model that is capable of borderless printing, or even one that will allow for minimum margin as small as 0.125". I attempted printing the 2" circles with a full color background on each of the laser printer models in our office, and on each one of them I experienced the non-printable margins causing white to creep on to the labels. I did some digging around various forums to see if I was able to at least track down a recommendation from another source, but still came up empty. From what I understand, printing near the edge of the sheet is uncommon with desktop laser printers due to mechanical limitations - it can cause toner accumulation within the machine that can damage the printer over time.

If you are willing to consider an inkjet printer, there are a number of machines that incorporate "borderless" or "print to edge" options. I attempted printing the exact same design on an HP Officejet Pro 8600 with the borderless printing option enabled and I received great results. The background color completely covered each of the 20 labels on the sheet, and the labels printed nearly perfectly centered.

If you decide to stick with laser printing you may want to consider using a label configuration that offers larger left and right margins. As far as our standard products go, we offer a 1.67" circle and a 2.25" circle that should allow for a full background color on any laser printer model. You can view these products at the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL325.htm

http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL8750.htm

If you wind up needing a label that is exactly 2", we do offer a custom product that features only 15 labels per page, but large enough margins to print full background colors. This product is not something that we carry in inventory, and would have to be manufactured to order. As such, custom pricing would apply. You can view this product at the following link:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL7325.htm

If you should require any additional information please just let me know. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can!

#3 Posted : 6/1/2014 1:11:49 AM(EST)
bunniesnbuggies

United States

I actually work in electronics sales (printers, computers, etc) and the advice you were given is spot-on regarding laser printer limitations. It is virtually impossible to get a regularly available laser printer that, essentially, does full-bleed (print to the edge) printing.

I personally own an HP 8600 series inkjet that I use with my labels from here, and it is phenomenal. Very good on ink, low cost per page, and printing at the "regular" setting (not best) produces great results. My only complaint has been that the print head moves so hard that it causes the printer to shake if you don't have it on a VERY sturdy surface (like a heavy desk or stand - a light table won't cut it!) but this has been fixed with the new 8600 models that are now in stores (the 8610, 8620, and 8630). These are definitely the best value in printers and I recommend them to my customers as well.