Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/11/2014 2:38:20 PM(EST)
Katie

United States

Hi, I have an old ink jet printer that I'm thinking of replacing. I have had a lot of trouble with ink "halo" effect on both the glossy and matte weatherproof labels. Is anyone having this problem with the newer inkjet printers? If I reduce the ink quality to "draft", I get a very poor-quality print. So I use "best" quality and it's fine for all labels that will remain in dry environments. But some of my labels are for products that are kept in the bathroom and the humid environment causes a "halo" of ink. Interestingly, I can run these labels under a stream of water to no effect, but moisture in the environment seems to cause the ink to "halo". It's very frustrating and expensive! I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with weatherproof labels and the 8600 inkjet models. I really like having the creative control of my labels using Maestro, but I'm wondering if these weatherproof labels may not be suitable for bath and body products.
#2 Posted : 6/12/2014 2:26:07 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Personally, I've had a lot of success using the HP Officejet Pro 8600 with our weatherproof matte and weatherproof gloss inkjet materials. My best results came when using the media setting titled "Other Photo Papers" along with the Normal quality setting. This combination of settings provided me with an attractive, vivid color print that looked great on both of the weatherproof material types.

I was unable to check for durability in a true bath and body product environment, but I did run a couple of different tests relating to contact with moisture this morning. When placed under a constant stream of water the printed area held up beautifully, with no noticeable smearing or smudging. In addition to a running water test, I also placed printed sheets in our humidity chamber and allowed them to sit for a few hours at 99% humidity. By the time I removed the printed sheets from the humidity chamber they were covered in condensation, but did not exhibit the "halo" effect that you reported in your post.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the performance exhibited by the HP Officejet Pro 8600. The good news is that HP recently released their new Officejet models for the year, so some retailers currently have the HP Officejet Pro 8600 heavily discounted. I was able to pick one up on clearance at Staples within the past couple of weeks, and am currently using it as my primary printer at home.

I hope this information helps you make a decision. If you need any additional details please just let me know!
#3 Posted : 6/12/2014 4:43:28 PM(EST)
Katie

United States

Thanks so much, Josh! I noticed the new printers on sale and I'm off to get a new officejet pro this evening! My old one has very limited "quality" options to choose from, so I'm looking forward to an expanded menu. Thanks for running a test in the humidity chamber! I'm really hoping the new printer does the trick.
#4 Posted : 6/21/2014 7:54:20 AM(EST)
Katie

United States

I bought the new HP officejet pro 8620 and it has made all the difference! I am pleased to say that I no longer have any ink smear or halo problems on my weatherproof inkjet labels! My bath products have held up well in the shower. I believe the problem was my outdated inkjet printer and I'm so glad I've finally solved this problem!
#5 Posted : 6/22/2014 6:58:26 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Katie - That is great to hear. We appreciate your business!!