Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/27/2014 4:33:26 PM(EST)
Steve&Bee

United States

Hi. I'm using an HP Officejet 6100 to print onto the Clear Gloss for Inkjet labels. I find that the ink is producing an undesired crackling effect as it dries. I have tried the "Other photo papers" setting as well as the "HP Everyday Photo Paper, Glossy" setting. Also, I've tried both the Normal and Draft print quality. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent the cracking?
#2 Posted : 6/28/2014 6:53:13 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Does the cracking effect impact all areas where you are printing or does it only impact areas where there is heavy ink coverage? Do you notice that the cracking is only happening on certain colors that you are printing? Are you using OEM ink (HP brand) or some type of compatible ink cartridge? Are you able to upload a picture?

Please provide more information and I can attempt to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks.

Dave
#3 Posted : 6/30/2014 1:08:32 PM(EST)
Steve&Bee

United States

Here's a picture. As you can see the solid black has a lot of crackling, and the stripes have some through the center. The lettering has it as well, but its not as noticeable because its smaller.

I'm using HP ink, not refills or off brand.

ink crackling

Edited by user Monday, June 30, 2014 1:12:09 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : 6/30/2014 5:04:57 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you've experienced with our clear gloss inkjet material. I've attempted to recreate the issue using the inkjet printer models that we have available in our testing department. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the HP Officejet 6100 that you are using to print your labels.

So far, I've attempted printing designs with heavy black borders and black text on three different HP printer models without being able to duplicate the crackling effect that you illustrated in your photograph. On each of the printer models, I printed multiple sheets using a variety of different material types and quality settings.

Since your original order for this product was less than 100 sheets there wasn't a lot number attached. This means I'm unable to verify through our lot tracking system if there were any documented issues with the material that you received. As a result, I'm going to send you replacement sheets from our most recent production run of OL1502CK that have been verified as good material. The replacement sheets will be shipped from our facility this afternoon.

Please try printing on the new sheets and let us know if the problem persists. We'll be happy to offer any assistance that we can!

#5 Posted : 6/30/2014 5:21:42 PM(EST)
Steve&Bee

United States

Wow! Thank you for you help! I will give the new ones a try as soon as they arrive.
#6 Posted : 7/16/2014 11:57:36 AM(EST)
Steve&Bee

United States

I received the replacement sheets and have had a chance to try it out. On my first attempt, I realized after it printed that my color ink was too low and it printed in black and white. This image seemed to print great! On the second attempt, after replacing the color ink, I printed in color. This time the black ink cracked just as it did on my first set of labels. Finally, I printed a third time, changing the print settings to black and white; the ink dried perfectly. My conclusion is that it has something to do with printing in color.

I have very minimal color on my image, so for now I will just erase the color and print only in black and white.
#7 Posted : 7/16/2014 3:42:19 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
This is interesting feedback. Based on the issue that you have experience, it sounds like the printer lays down more ink when printing a color document than a monochrome document even when the area you are printing is just black.

My thought is that ink from the color cartridge is dispensed when you print black on a document that has color included somewhere in the document. It seems like that extra ink is over saturating the top coating on the material causing the cracks.

My assumption is that when you print a monochrome document it only seems to use ink from the black cartridge so less ink is laid down.

It may be worth seeing the color composition of the black (CYMK) in your artwork and find out if that can be modified. I know this is a little technical, but here is an article on the composition of black. Programs like Adobe Illustrator do allow you to change the composition of black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_black

I hope this helps.

Dave