Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/28/2014 6:07:06 PM(EST)
TMinTX

I have gone through the Printer Alignment Wizard, and it shows everything is functioning properly. However, when I try to print a full sheet of labels (in this case, OL421), the top row prints far too high, the second row less so, and so on to the bottom row, which prints perfectly in alignment with the labels. I've spent days, but can't figure out how to fix this. I've tried working with the template in Word and importing the images, as well as using Maestro, and it's the same problem in both circumstances. Is there any fix for this?
#2 Posted : 11/29/2014 7:26:08 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. I will need to get additional details in order to try to troubleshoot the issue. It is not normal for something to be off in the way that you have described. I would normally think it is a page scaling issue caused by not unchecking Fit to Page in Acrobat Reader when printing from Maestro Label Designer, but the fact that the bottom row is aligned eliminates that as the issue.

I reviewed your account (associated with the email address that you used to log in to the forum) and I don't see the OL421 as an item that you have purchased from us. I also don't see any saved Maestro Label Designer files with that configuration. I wanted to review the lot number from the package (found on the label on the clam shell that the labels came in) that you received so I can confirm that the item is cut correctly.

Can you measure the label sheet using the dimensions below and confirm that the sheet and labels match these dimensions? If you don't have a ruler available - you can download our printable ruler.

Item OL421
Sheet Size: 8.5" x 11"
Labels Per Sheet: 15
Label Length: 2.125"
Label Height: 1.6875"
Top Margin: 0.5"
Bottom Margin: 0.5"
Left Margin: 0.5"
Right Margin: 0.5"
Horizontal Spacing (between labels): 0.5625"
Vertical Spacing (between labels): 0.390625"

Let me know and we can continue troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
#3 Posted : 11/29/2014 12:09:48 PM(EST)
TMinTX

Thank you for your help, Dave. The labels were purchased from a third party who apparently buys in bulk and resells smaller quantities. It's a long story, but I ended up there before I knew about Online Labels, and only found out where the labels originated when I contacted their "technical support" team who just referred me to this website. So, that's a long way to say that I don't have a lot number. I purchased several different label types from them...2" round, 1.625 x 1.8125, and slider tin labels. None of them aligns perfectly, but I rarely print an entire sheet at one time, so I don't know whether or not they would be "off" in exactly the same way.

I'm finding that things are better, but still not spot on, with Internet Explorer than Mozilla Firefox. I didn't save the sheet I generated in Maestro yesterday, but I will recreate it so you can take a look. The measurements seem to be correct. (Interestingly, I printed out the ruler, and it did not print to the correct size, even though I followed the directions. However, I cannot find "Auto Rotate and Center" anywhere in the print dialogue box.) If it matters, I am printing on an HP OfficeJetPro8600.

Thanks again for your help...off to recreate, and this time save, the Maestro document!
#4 Posted : 11/29/2014 4:02:40 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

That is interesting that the printable ruler didn't print at the correct size. It is absolutely critical that you print at actual size. If you are not printing at 100% scale it sounds like you may not have unchecked Fit to Page or you may not have Adobe Acrobat Reader as your default PDF viewer. Here are some instructions on how to set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default PDF view in your browser.

http://helpx.adobe.com/a...-browser-acrobat-xi.html

When printing from a Maestro Label Designer generated PDF file it is really important that you are printing at the exact scale or else the labels will not likely align.

Once we can confirm you are printing at 100% scale then we can further troubleshoot.

Thanks.

Dave C.

#5 Posted : 11/29/2014 9:54:11 PM(EST)
TMinTX

I've verified that I am printing in Adobe Reader. (My browser is IE 11.) There simply isn't a check box for "Auto Rotate and Center," but I did verify that the box to maintain format is checked. The ruler has printed at the correct size. I test-printed the labels on a sheet of plain paper, and they still are failing to line up in the same way, although I think they are a bit closer. The bottom edge of the printed labels on the top row, even with the bleed, does not touch the bottom of the scored area of the label sheet. They are printing .125" too high and too far to the left. However, the bottom row of labels is printing too high by about half that amount, and still .125" too far to the left. Does that information help at all?

*Editing to add this: I just printed another test page, and made sure "borderless printing" was not selected (it was on the first run). There is still discrepancy between the top row and the bottom row, but the left-right alignment is correct, and the print is much more in line with the labels...enough that they would be usable. Maybe we've found the answer?

Edited by user Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:04:11 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : 11/30/2014 11:45:42 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I am glad to hear that you are getting closer. I see you edited your last response before I had a chance to respond. Can you go ahead and give me the specific measurements on the way it is now off? I need to know the specific measurements in order to understand what is happening now and to make recommendations. Let me know.

Thanks.

Dave C.