Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/19/2015 6:46:21 AM(EST)
PEPR

Netherlands

I have seen various nice tips to add a protective layer or coating to a label but we require something that is usable for printing on-demand and not for hobby project or one-time off solutions that fits higher productivity requirements.

I am looking to see if anybody has tips for on-demand printers. We use industrial inkjet printers and print on coated PP, PE, polyester and paper. But for bin-labels, chemical resistance like kitchens, outdoor and warehousing these labels are not durable enough.

I am looking for several solutions that help us. We think about thin coat with thermal transfer and thicker coating with special printer. But I cannot find the right ribbons and special printers and I do not have any experience with it either. Anybody suggestions for this or other solutions then already in this forum?

Suggested in this forum I found solutions that do not work for us and please do not recommend them because they do not fit our application:
1. Applying clear label over label, while smart solution in production this is too difficult and for large labels not piratical too difficult. The cost and problems are too high. Our labels vary in sizes 1 inch up to Letter size width and lengths can be 1 inch up to several pages in length.
2. Spraying coating is good for special projects with one to a few labels. Not for on-demand printing and spraying is not allowed in many production facilities including ours.
#2 Posted : 2/19/2015 10:51:47 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Are you printing multiple colors? Do you need die-cut labels (shapes other than square cornered rectangle)?

If you are looking for one-color labels and are able to use rectangular labels with square corners then you may want to do some research into the Brother PT-9700PC or the PT-9800PCN. These printers are made by Brother USA and they have built-in lamination. There are quite few downsides to these printers (cost of printing, special cartridges, etc.), but if you are looking for one color labels and you can use square cornered labels then it is worth investigating.

You can learn more about this option at the link below.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Mobile/lp/PT9700/pt9700pt9800_overview.aspx

There are a lot of solutions out there for creating laminated labels, but you are getting into more commercial label printing and die cutting equipment that is basically the type of equipment that label printing companies are purchasing. These would be a much more significant investment if you want to go down that route.

I am happy to offer more advice if I can get more details from you.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

Edited by user Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:53:00 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: PEPR
#3 Posted : 2/22/2015 11:30:15 AM(EST)
PEPR

Netherlands

We require printing die-cut full color labels with standard rounded corners. For this customer 4.7 x 7 inches. Plus another that is roughly 4x4 or 5x5 inches depending if the regulations require a larder label or not.

Your suggestion is quite good but unfortunately it cannot print full color and is too small for our applications. In general, we require labels from 1 inch up to a full letter size page width.

I have looked into getting thermal transfer ribbons that can put a clear coat over the labels. This may work. But I have not found a supplier for this kind of ribbons. Anybody?

Thermal Transfer has also benefits for some of our other applications; it is very thin but potentially has advantages that it will not glue label elements together. In this application we have die-cut labels but for other customers we also have combined labels where the combinations are die-cut and the elements of each label are butt-cut. I know, complex but it is required. Because we often use bleed printing we need a bleed-zone and a ribbon may be the best solution. But I am not sure it it really works this way if you print a clear coat over the cut-out zone (inner versus outer label area). This may be closer to on demand. I know the general thermal transfer printer suppliers but not suppliers just for special coating. May be somebody else know a few for larger labels?

The other way is indeed a desktop UV float coat device but that is complex and not really print-on-demand. May be a mini device exist that we can put inline but I have not found any yet. There is some worry about contamination when in a harsh environment but any solution is better then none. It will not allow die-cut label elements. Does anybody know suppliers of small desktop UV coaters?

The difficult part is that our customers typically want print-on-demand and that makes it complex. They also do not want extra steps before applying a label (read lost production). To my knowledge there is not an affordable single device that can do it all at once. I hope somebody can correct me because that would help.
#4 Posted : 2/23/2015 8:31:25 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Unfortunately, I don't think that there is going to low cost thermal printing or coating solution out there for your requirements. If it exists, I am not aware of it and I am relatively familiar with the equipment that exists in the marketplace. Hopefully somebody else will post a response here if they are aware of an option.

You really need some type of lamination or finishing unit with cutting capabilities. My recommendation would be that you look into something like the Primera CX1200. It is a toner-based technology (laser printer). It runs roll-to-roll. Once you have a complete roll, you can put it onto Primera's finishing unit (FX1200 Digital Finishing System).

Here are links to information on these units.

CX1200 Printer
http://www.primeralabel.com/cx1200_features.html

FX1200 Finishing Unit
http://www.primeralabel.com/fx1200_features.html

I think you are probably looking at around $75,000-$100,000 for everything that you would need. I would recommend that you speak to Primera as they can provide more specific details. In my opinion, Primera's printer and finishing unit are pretty low cost relative to high-end label printing and finishing equipment that most of the commercial custom label printing companies use.

There are also other on-demand printing options out there that exist, but you are probably still in the $50,000 - $75,000 range once you add a finishing unit (with laminating and die-cutting). Many of these on-demand printing systems use inkjet and then have a separate finishing unit. I recommended the Primera because you require a variety of sizes and the cutting system. The Primera FX1200 allows for variable label sizes without tooling or cutting dies which are required on the finishing systems for some of the other options out there. The Primera machine has a digital cutting blade. Laser cutting technology is available, but it is much more expensive.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com