Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/22/2015 2:33:34 PM(EST)
Monochromatic

United States

Hello!
I've been using your 2x1 White Gloss for Laser labels # OL5125WS. I had the local Office Depot print things for me previously but decided to pickup a laser printer to do it myself. I have a Brother HL-2240 (black and white only). The labels I had printed at the store came out perfectly all around, but the ones I've been testing at home are coming out matte where the ink is printed. Not as serious as a concern, but up close the black is splotchy. I've been tinkering with the printer settings to no avail. Is this a limitation of my printer? Is there any way I can get the result I was getting at the store?
#2 Posted : 2/23/2015 9:06:06 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Monochromatic -

I was able to locate the user manual for your printer on Brother's website, and based on the information that I found it does appear that the more noticeable matte appearance is likely a limitation of the printer model.

Most printer models allow you to influence the appearance of your print by adjusting the paper or media type setting. Typically, adjusting the setting to something like "Glossy Photo Paper" will instruct the printer to approximate a glossier finish. According to the manual, the Brother HL-2240 doesn't include a printer setting for glossy photo paper, which is likely a result of the printer being a monochrome laser model. The printer model that Office Depot uses to print your labels is likely a larger commercial model with additional options for material types and finishes.

I'm assuming that the "Labels" media type setting will provide the best results when using your Brother HL-2240, but even with this setting your print results will probably have a more matted appearance than the labels printed by Office Depot. If you do decide to shop for a different printer at some point in the future, I would do some research beforehand and make sure that you get a printer model that includes a setting for glossy photo paper.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you need any additional details please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 5/24/2015 8:49:55 PM(EST)
Monochromatic

United States

Hey Josh!
I ordered your Matte White labels and am having little success even with those. The black background is blotchy (not a smooth, even black), there is horizontal banding, and the toner flakes off with moderate handling (regardless of the paper setting; oddly enough the black prints evenly on typical weight and cardstock paper). I've done a bunch of research into different laser printers, but it sounds like across the board they handle solid black backgrounds very poorly. Is this true? Can you recommend to me a laser printer that will print a perfectly black background (mono or color)? I will definitely upgrade if so; if not I may have to wrap my head around losing the black background.

Edited by user Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:52:31 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : 5/26/2015 10:19:22 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Monochromatic -

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues when attempting to print a black background on your labels. While I'd hesitate to say that any desktop laser printer is capable of producing a perfect black background, I have been very pleased with the performance of the HP LaserJet series of printers. I've personally used the HP LaserJet Pro 200 color and the HP LaserJet Pro 500 color, and have been satisfied with their ability to print attractive background colors on labels.

It may be worth going to a couple of local office stores and asking if they can use their floor models to print a couple test pages for you. Depending on their store policy they may not be able to, but I've spoken with customers who have had some success with requests like this. This would potentially give you a chance to see the solid background capabilities before committing to a purchase.

I hope this helps! If you need any additional details please just let me know.