Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 4/24/2018 8:01:35 PM(EST)
agustingberenguer@gmail.com

I bought Weatherproof Polyester Laser Full Sheet Label, Printable Blank Waterproof Sticker Paper- LASER Printer Compatible - 8.5" X 11" - Online Labels

After I print if I even touch the label it will smear (it's a laser printer)

Can someone help please :)
#2 Posted : 4/25/2018 8:54:58 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about this issue and will be happy to assist however I can. What is the printer model that you're using to print your labels?
#3 Posted : 4/26/2018 9:02:00 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

If you're using a laser printer and are experiencing toner that is smearing or smudging you most likely need to adjust the material type setting within the printer options. Changing the material type setting to a heavier options such as photo/glossy or labels should dramatically improve the bond between the toner and the surface of the label material.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#4 Posted : 4/27/2018 3:17:40 AM(EST)
Vosenna

United States

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post
If you're using a laser printer and are experiencing toner that is smearing or smudging you most likely need to adjust the material type setting within the printer options. Changing the material type setting to a heavier options such as photo/glossy or labels should dramatically improve the bond between the toner and the surface of the label material.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.

Josh,

On a prior post of yours from a few years ago, you mentioned a database of printer feedback surveys. Is that information available anywhere? I'm in the process of opening an indie cosmetics retailer and will need to print out some product labels (I am primarily selling other brands but will private label a few selective items), but I have no clue what kind of printer to get. The reviews are all over the place, so I'd like to see if there is information anywhere compiled in some easy to read form of what people here have used successfully here with your labels.

Sorry, I would have messaged you privately, but I couldn't find a link to dm someone on here.

Edited by user Friday, April 27, 2018 3:18:36 AM(EST)  | Reason: to click the email notifications and fix a comma.

#5 Posted : 4/27/2018 8:08:20 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Vosenna -

The data from our printer feedback surveys is collected and used internally. I'll be happy to make some printer recommendations using the information if you'll provide some additional details about your application. Are you looking to purchase an inkjet or a laser printer? What type of label material do you intend to use?

If you'll respond with these details I'll be happy to check the data and provide a few highly recommended printer models for you.
#6 Posted : 4/30/2018 1:32:22 AM(EST)
Vosenna

United States

The majority of the products in my store are indie beauty brands. However, there are a few holes that I'm going to be filling with private label products (mascara, eyeliner pencils, foundation, etc.). Going through the forum it seems like things that people touch a lot that I'm best going with either weatherproof polyester laser labels, weatherproof silver polyester labels, clear matte laser labels, or clear gloss laser labels. I know 2 of them are specifically laser, but 2 of them you offer in laser or inkjet

Therefore, that's not a lot of help. Bottom line, weatherproof type labels is what I'm looking for in inkjet or laser, whichever will print better on a printer that can also scan - and preferably not your go-to HP because I have an HP monochrome laser for my job I'm transitioning out of and it's left a terrible image in my mind of HP.

There wasn't a convenient way to search by date, and all the recommendations I was coming across on here were predominately for outdated models.

I'm looking for something affordable just because I'm putting so many dollars into stocking my store, I don't want to break the bank on a printer.

Edited by user Monday, April 30, 2018 1:49:44 AM(EST)  | Reason: A little more info - open to inkjet or laser - will use weatherproof labels.

#7 Posted : 4/30/2018 1:36:29 AM(EST)
Vosenna

United States

P.S. I should mention that I'm looking for a all-in-one printer or at the very least, one that can also scan because I don't want to have to buy something separate for scanning.

And another P.S..You seem to really love the HP printers but my concern is that they aren't that well rated and I've used an HP monochrome laser for my previous job to launching this business and it was a terrible printer with a lot of problems. I am looking for a color one for my business, but after my current experiences with HP, I'm not so thrilled with them as a brand. I haven't been able to actually use my printer for this past academic year because it just flat out wouldn't work which left me printing at home with my trusty color inkjet Epson over the laser HP.

Edited by user Monday, April 30, 2018 1:50:32 AM(EST)  | Reason: Added my dislike of HP.

#8 Posted : 4/30/2018 9:01:38 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Vosenna -

I recommend the HP Color LaserJet series of printers because they typically outperform just about everything else that I've tested. I've used a wide variety of different laser printer models over the years, and the HP Color LaserJet printers are almost always the top performing printers with our weatherproof laser materials. They are very positively reviewed by customers who have used our label materials with them as well.

It's difficult to compare a monochrome laser printer to a color laser printer because they serve entirely different purposes. Monochrome laser printers are usually intended for use as high-volume document printers, focused primarily on providing legible text and fast printing. They're not known for high-resolution imaging, and printing photos or graphics using a monochrome laser printer may result in below average print quality.

With all of that being said, your best bet in the short term may be an inkjet printer due to the upfront cost of getting started with high-quality color laser printer. In the long run printing with a laser printer is probably more economical in terms cost per sheet, but the initial cost of the printers and toner cartridges are typically considerably higher compared to desktop inkjet printers.

Recently, I've had a lot of success using the Canon PIXMA TS9120 printer with our weatherproof inkjet materials. The printer came highly recommended in our printer feedback surveys, and seems to be reviewed well across the internet as well. I've extensively tested both of our weatherproof inkjet materials (Weatherproof White Matte and Weatherproof White Gloss) with this printer model and have been very pleased with the results.

It's important to note that our clear materials for inkjet printing are not weatherproof or moisture resistant. If you need a clear label that will hold up to direct contact with moisture you should consider a color laser printer rather than an inkjet printer.

I know you're resistant to the HP brand, but based on your requirements and the feedback we've received the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw may be a good choice for you. It's an All-In-One color laser printer that is currently available from HP. I haven't had the opportunity to use this specific printer model yet, but the feedback from our customers is positive and the reviews I'm able to locate online appear to be very positive as well. Of the laser printers that I have used, both the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn have performed incredibly well with all of our weatherproof laser materials.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#9 Posted : 4/30/2018 9:10:40 PM(EST)
Vosenna

United States

What would be the next laser in line ordinally past the HPs that does well? That HP was the worst printer I've ever used (and granted it was a mono laser, but the fact that they couldn't do that right doesn't inspire me to give them a try in terms of color laser), and I really never want to touch that brand again. Away from this site, the HPs seem to be pretty low rated too so I'm interested for what's next in line possibly. Most of my packaging with be black though, so I don't know how much it will matter that the inkjet can't do the clear ones you mentioned.
#10 Posted : 5/1/2018 8:58:10 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Vosenna -

Affordable desktop laser printers can be tricky to source. Once you move to larger office/copier units there's much more variety, but there's also considerably higher upfront costs. HP definitely offers the widest variety of affordable options, but there are some other manufacturers you could potentially look at too.

The feedback we've received on the Canon Color imageCLASS series of printers has been almost universally positive. There was one model, the Canon imageCLASS LBP7660, that received some negative feedback when used with our weatherproof polyester material, but the other imageCLASS printers we've received data on have been well received.

We've also had positive feedback on Samsung's line of color printers. I had an opportunity to use the Samsung CLP-325W extensively a few years back and was always extremely pleased with the results. That printer model has since been discontinued, but newer color laser printers in both the CLP and Xpress series have received positive feedback from our customers and seem to be well received online.

The feedback on Brother's line of color laser printers has been decidedly mixed. Reviews seem decent online, but the feedback from our customers has been pretty polarizing. I have a couple different Brother printer models on hand here for testing, and have experienced my fair share of printer jams and feed issues. I'm not sure how well they're suited to label printing, but imagine that they're excellent for standard document printing.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional details.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Vosenna