Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages«12
#21 Posted : 12/16/2015 9:13:26 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JMPhilly Go to Quoted Post
I still have not heard from a Customer Service Manager regarding this issue.

JMPhilly - I'm sorry about that. I spoke to our customer service manager this morning and he let me know that he did get a chance to speak with you last night. He made it seem like a plan had been worked out and all was good.

I'm happy to get involved if there are any additional issues. Let me know.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#22 Posted : 12/29/2015 10:02:44 PM(EST)
captainrob

United States

I found your comment informative in my purchasing decision. Thanks!
#23 Posted : 6/5/2017 7:32:39 AM(EST)
Springhot

United States

I also use a Brother Laser printer and really wish I had seen these before I purchased the weatherproof labels as I have been experiencing the same thing with the ink not sticking to the label properly. I have tried about every setting possible to ensure that it's getting hot enough so that the ink adheres and once the label has sat and cooled off it can then be scratched off. I first noticed this after labeling a few of my perfume bottles and putting them in my bag to take and do some show and tell before they go into the store. I went to take them out of the bag and just from simply rubbing against one another the ink was scratching off. There is no way I can sell these. I have two bottles of krylon preserve it arriving today as a last resort to save what I have left and if it works to use on what I have not printed on. This is very disappointing as this is my first try of your lables as I wanted to ensure a professional look and had heard good things about your products from others in my industry. I just bought my laser printer a few months ago and am not interested in taking it back as it works great with the avery labels I use for the other products and I have not had this issue until I tried your weatherproof ones. I was really hoping to switch to yours completely as the price isn't bad per 100 sheets but so far this test run hasn't panned out. I might only be selling handcrafted goods, but there's no reason why they can't look like they were made/packaged by a big company.
Ink scratching off weatherproof labels within 1 day of being printed
#24 Posted : 6/5/2017 9:52:29 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Springhot -

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. Brother laser printers have been to known to have some difficulty printing on plastic film services in certain scenarios. I know you mentioned trying different printer settings, but there are a few specific recommendations that I can make that should allow for the best possible results.

For "Media Type" please try using the Label, Glossy Paper, or Thicker Paper settings.

For "Print Quality" please try the above Media Type settings with the Normal quality first, and then the Fine quality setting if you're still experiencing issues.

Most Brother laser printers also have a setting called "Improve Toner Fixing", but it's usually tucked away and difficult to find. Try looking in the Advanced tab of your printer settings, and then clicking on the "Other Print Options" button. For most printer models it should be located under the "Improve Print Output" section of the Other Print Options screen.

If you need some additional label sheets for testing purposes, please visit the link below to request free sample sheets:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

If for any reason you find that you are unable to use the sheets after trying the troubleshooting steps listed above, you can return any unused sheets for a refund. Details regarding our return policy can be found at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#25 Posted : 6/6/2017 10:19:09 AM(EST)
Springhot

United States

Thanks. I was able to salvage a lot of my labels with the krylon preserve it though I am not fond of the smell and hope that it doesn't stay. I think the only printer setting that I didn't have checked was the "improve toner fixing" when I was trying different settings. If I put the media type on Label or Glossy paper and then choose the label or glossy profile it will only print 600x600 dpi. I'm going to experiment tonight with another sheet or two to see if that one setting will fix it. Although I was able to save the labels that I had printed and not used yet I really don't want to continue to have to buy krylon and spray it on although I do like the shiny end result. Have you had complaints about toner issues with the glossy labels? I was looking to see about maybe getting a few of the samples to test and see if they would print better on those as they will have similar results with durability, but I don't want the similar toner issues lol.
#26 Posted : 6/6/2017 1:12:10 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Springhot -

Thanks for the additional information. I'd definitely try looking for the "Improve Toner Fixing" option within your printer settings. It could potentially improve the issue that you're experiencing with the weatherproof polyester material.

I'll have samples of our white gloss laser material sent out for you this afternoon. The white gloss laser labels consist of a paper material rather than a polyester film material. This means they'll be less durable in direct contact with moisture, but will likely perform better going through your Brother laser printer.

If you wind up having any questions after receiving the white gloss laser sample sheets, please just let us know.
#27 Posted : 6/9/2017 3:08:35 PM(EST)
Springhot

United States

Thanks! Got them today and tested and they are a bit better. Still having some issues but should be good enough. Thanks again!
#28 Posted : 6/9/2017 7:57:51 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Springhot Go to Quoted Post
Thanks! Got them today and tested and they are a bit better. Still having some issues but should be good enough. Thanks again!

I'm glad to hear that the white gloss laser labels are working a little better for you. If you need any additional help or have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#29 Posted : 9/29/2017 10:56:59 AM(EST)
francis

United States

I've got a Brother L8850CDW laser printer. I have it set to Very Heavy paper and have the Improved Toner Fixing option selected as well. The ink still scratches off. It's weird because right off the printer it is nearly impossible to scratch. But the next day it can be scratched. I can tell it is getting the polyester very hot because it curls pretty tightly. We really like the look of the brushed silver. We bought about $200 of it for several different products. Not sure what we're going to do now.
#30 Posted : 9/29/2017 4:20:39 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: francis Go to Quoted Post
I've got a Brother L8850CDW laser printer. I have it set to Very Heavy paper and have the Improved Toner Fixing option selected as well. The ink still scratches off. It's weird because right off the printer it is nearly impossible to scratch. But the next day it can be scratched. I can tell it is getting the polyester very hot because it curls pretty tightly. We really like the look of the brushed silver. We bought about $200 of it for several different products. Not sure what we're going to do now.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue. I don't have access to the Brother MFC-L8850CDW printer model, but I have tested the weatherproof silver polyester material extensively using two other Brother color laser printers with a great deal of success - the HL-3170CDW and the MFC-9130CW.

You mentioned using the Very Heavy Paper setting with Improved Toner Fixing selected. Have you experimented with any other material settings? My best printing results came when using the Labels material type with the manual bypass feeder. You can only print one sheet at a time using this method, but I found that the print is very durable to scratching and abrasion immediately after printing, as well as after the sheet has cooled down.

If you need some additional sheets for experimenting with other printer settings I'll be happy to have some free samples sent out for you. Please just let me know and I'll get them shipped out right away.

#31 Posted : 9/29/2017 5:37:31 PM(EST)
francis

United States

Hi Josh,
After first finding this thread I did try it set on Label. It seemed promising; but the next day I could scratch it off with just my fingernail. I'm using "Thicker Paper" now because it seemed to be the thickest of all the options. And when the printer spits out a sheet the labels definitely look like they've been heated to their limit. More so than with the Label setting.

Yeah, if you could supply me some polyester brushed silver to figure this out that would be great. I love the look of these labels but so far I don't have a scratch-free solution. How do I reach you, call and ask for Josh?
#32 Posted : 10/2/2017 9:03:30 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'll have some additional sample sheets sent out for you this afternoon.

Another possible solution would be to use a clear overcoat spray, like Krylon Preserve-It. You can view a step by step guide on applying a clear overcoat spray to your labels at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/krylon-weatherproof-waterproof-label-overcoat-spray.htm

A clear overcoat spray essentially adds a laminate to your labels, protecting them from abrasion and heavy handling. It would add another step to the process, but should improve the durability of the printed labels considerably. If you find that the various settings adjustments on your Brother printer model don't improve scratch resistance to your liking, this would definitely be worth trying.

If you need additional assistance you can reach our Customer Service department directly by dialing 1-888-575-2235. One of our representatives will be more than happy to help. If you would like to speak with me you can request that they transfer you to my extension.
#33 Posted : 10/3/2017 9:09:46 AM(EST)
francis

United States

Hi Josh,
I got the shipping notification of the sample labels. I'll check out some Krylon too. Thank you for finding my order and sending me some replacements.
#34 Posted : 10/3/2017 3:40:36 PM(EST)
russ_essex

United States

We are also having a similar problem with our Brother HL-L5200DW and OL1930LP labels. The labels come out faint and the ink chips off. The sheets also come out of the printer crinkled, like someone else mentioned. We've tried the various settings, but nothing changes. We used to use LEM labels, which were also polyester film, and never had a problem. Then we switched to these. We use these to mark circuit boards and equipment in control panels. We may only use a handful of labels on a sheet at a time, so we can't spray the entire sheet since we would not be able to use the rest of the labels.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:41:47 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#35 Posted : 10/4/2017 8:38:55 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: russ_essex Go to Quoted Post
We are also having a similar problem with our Brother HL-L5200DW and OL1930LP labels. The labels come out faint and the ink chips off. The sheets also come out of the printer crinkled, like someone else mentioned. We've tried the various settings, but nothing changes. We used to use LEM labels, which were also polyester film, and never had a problem. Then we switched to these. We use these to mark circuit boards and equipment in control panels. We may only use a handful of labels on a sheet at a time, so we can't spray the entire sheet since we would not be able to use the rest of the labels.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue. I was able to locate the manual for your printer model. Based on what I've read in the manual, the paper type setting for Labels will be the best option to use when printing on this product. In addition to the Labels paper type setting there looks to be another setting available in the advanced printer options called "Improve Print Output" or "Improve Toner Fixing". According to the manual, enabling this setting will reduce the amount of paper curl and improve the bond between toner and the label material. This could potentially help with the paper crinkling that you mentioned.

We typically do not recommend running our weatherproof polyester material through a printer multiple times. After a sheet has been run through a printer curling can occur. Even a small amount of curl can cause issues when trying to feed the same sheet again, sometimes resulting in printer jams or poor print quality.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#36 Posted : 7/22/2018 10:19:02 AM(EST)
hortoa01

United States

Hello!
I have been reading through some of the comments and replies on this forum and while I am not having a cracking issue, I am having a flaking issue. The labels peel off the backing fine, but when I am applying them to the container, the ink flakes off if I have to remove the label for any reason. This happens whether I have just printed them of if they have sat for a while. I'm not sure the Krylon Preserve-It will work as these labels are going on round jars. I use an HP Pro M254dw color inkjet printer with HP brand toner. Do you have any suggestions?
#37 Posted : 7/23/2018 8:11:28 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: hortoa01 Go to Quoted Post
Hello!
I have been reading through some of the comments and replies on this forum and while I am not having a cracking issue, I am having a flaking issue. The labels peel off the backing fine, but when I am applying them to the container, the ink flakes off if I have to remove the label for any reason. This happens whether I have just printed them of if they have sat for a while. I'm not sure the Krylon Preserve-It will work as these labels are going on round jars. I use an HP Pro M254dw color inkjet printer with HP brand toner. Do you have any suggestions?

hortoa01 -

Adjusting the paper type to a heavier setting should resolve the flaking issue that you're experiencing. I'd recommend trying the Glossy Paper, Heavy Glossy, and Labels paper type settings. A heavier paper type will typically cause the labels to feed through the printer slower, allowing for prolonged exposure to higher fusing temperatures. This should result in a much better bond between the toner and the surface of the label material.

2 Pages«12