Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages12»
Post Reply
#1 Posted : 1/7/2015 4:53:01 PM(EST)
BamaVapor

Rank: New User

Posts: 2

Hi! We seem to have an unresolvable issue with ink (or toner, rather) cracking/scratching off of the weatherproof labels. I have done a significant amount of research regarding this issue, with no successful solution(s), and I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help. We have a HP LaserJet 500 Color M551 printer that we use for label printing (specifically, for labeling bottles of e-liquid.) We are using the OL340LP, OL248LP, and also the OL125LP labels. The ink does not crack upon printing, nor when the labels are initially applied; however, after about 1-2 days of use, the ink gradually begins to crack and fall off of the labels. The Printer Media Type Setting is always set to "Labels", but I have also tried setting it to "Mid-Weight Glossy", "Heavy Glossy", etc. all with the same results. I have also tried adjusting (i.e. lowering, raising) the Print Quality and Gloss Level settings, with equal results as far as the ink cracking. It doesn't seem to necessarily crack more in the darker/heavier colored spots; it's just equally random across the label. I even purchased the Krylon Preserve It spray in hopes that it would be "the answer." While it does seem to add an extra layer of protection, it doesn't completely prevent the ink from cracking. Also, I recently replaced the cartridges in the printer, which didn't have any effect on the cracking. And just to clarify, the ink doesn't smear or smudge, it only cracks/scratches off. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will be happy to post a picture if that would help.


Thanks!
Courtney
#2 Posted : 1/8/2015 12:35:16 PM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I'm really sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. You've been incredibly thorough in your research and troubleshooting techniques so far - everything that you've tried is what we typically recommend when a customer experiences issues relating to toner fusion and flaking.

The design that you're printing can actually have an impact on print quality and durability. I took a quick look at some of the Maestro designs that you've saved and noticed that you're generally using full color backgrounds for all of your designs. In my experience, I have noticed that very dark background colors can sometimes have issues with cracking or flaking. Have you experienced any difference in performance across your different designs? For example, are designs with a black background cracking more than designs with lighter backgrounds? If so, redesigning with a lighter background may help resolve the issue to some degree.

If altering your designs isn't an option or doesn't properly resolve the issue then you may want to consider trying a different material type. While we don't have another weatherproof option available, our aggressive white matte material could potentially be a good fit. This is a paper based material so it would lack the inherent moisture durability that our weatherproof polyester stock provides, but it does offer a very strong permanent adhesive. A paper based material would potentially resolve the toner fusion issue that you are experiencing, and the durability to moisture and handling could definitely be improved by applying a light coat of the Krylon Preserve-It spray after printing.

We do have a number of customers currently using our aggressive white matte material for e-liquid bottles. I'd be happy to send you some samples of the material for you to evaluate on your products. If you're interested in receiving the samples please just let me know which sizes you'd like to check out and I'll be happy to send them right away!
#3 Posted : 1/8/2015 6:58:40 PM(EST)
ClaysKits

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
United States
Location: Austin, TX

Do you find the Preserve-It spray make the labels stiff? I guess in your application they don't flex in use. I'm using the OP1905LP parts on cables on a machine, just black text though, no background. SO far they are great, no flaking.
#4 Posted : 1/9/2015 4:19:28 PM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
When using the weatherproof polyester laser material and Krylon Preserve-It spray together I've never experienced a noticeable difference in the stiffness of the label material. There should be no issue with you using Krylon Preserve-It with your application if you do ever require the additional durability that it provides.

Please let me know if you require any additional information. I'll be happy to assist in any way that I can!
#5 Posted : 1/12/2015 5:35:43 PM(EST)
BamaVapor

Rank: New User

Posts: 2

Hi, Josh!

It doesn't seem to crack more on the darker backgrounds than it does the lighter backgrounds. The performance (or cracking, rather) is pretty consistent amongst the different designs.

I actually did request samples of the Aggressive White Matte labels, shortly after I made my initial post! I will test them out once they arrive, and I will keep you updated. Thanks for your help!


Thanks,
Courtney
#6 Posted : 1/14/2015 7:12:08 AM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I'm glad to hear that you have samples on the way. If you should have any questions upon receiving them please just let me know. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can!
#7 Posted : 1/16/2015 3:31:39 PM(EST)
kbk

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
United States
Location: Upsate NY

I too, have been experiencing the same problem with the waterproof labels. I use them for cosmetics, ie soaps and lotions, no dark background, colored ink, even purchased a new laser printer thinking it would help, old style labels I was using wasn't waterproof so they fell apart, but the ink stayed on them until they disintegrated. Ive considered using tape over them, not hearing before of the Krylon spray. Frustrating to purchase everything to solve a problem only to find a new problem... at wits end. Was trying to save myself time and money by printing labels myself, has actually cost me both.. :( any suggestion would be helpful
#8 Posted : 1/19/2015 7:55:53 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany


Rank: Label King

Posts: 628
United States
Location: Sanford

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kbk Go to Quoted Post
I too, have been experiencing the same problem with the waterproof labels. I use them for cosmetics, ie soaps and lotions, no dark background, colored ink, even purchased a new laser printer thinking it would help, old style labels I was using wasn't waterproof so they fell apart, but the ink stayed on them until they disintegrated. Ive considered using tape over them, not hearing before of the Krylon spray. Frustrating to purchase everything to solve a problem only to find a new problem... at wits end. Was trying to save myself time and money by printing labels myself, has actually cost me both.. :( any suggestion would be helpful


I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this toner cracking issue. I am going to see if we can talk to the some of the suppliers who make our weather-proof material face sheets to see if they can offer us any insight into what could be causing this issue to sometimes happen.

We haven't been able to replicate this issue in our printer testing lab. What is the model of the laser printer that you are using? Are you using cartridges made by the printer manufacturer?

If we can replicate the issue in printer testing environment, we can do some research into ways to stop the issue from happening.

Thanks for your patience as we spend some time researching this issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#9 Posted : 3/2/2015 10:54:10 PM(EST)
vitolal

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
United States
Location: Delaware

I had the same problem with weatherproof return address labels showing my website and a QR code. The ink on the QR code cracks, and then it is not readable. My offer is a frustrating solution, but I gently peel the side of the label that doesn't crack, and then gently pull the label off the backing AWAY from the side with the QR code, keeping the label as parallel as possible to the backing. 9 times out of 10, I can get the label off the backing without the ink cracking, and then once I gently apply it, I cover it with a piece of packing tape. Works for me because presentation of the return address label is not critical; packing tape on top is okay. GOOD LUCK!!
#10 Posted : 3/3/2015 9:18:43 AM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vitolal Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem with weatherproof return address labels showing my website and a QR code. The ink on the QR code cracks, and then it is not readable. My offer is a frustrating solution, but I gently peel the side of the label that doesn't crack, and then gently pull the label off the backing AWAY from the side with the QR code, keeping the label as parallel as possible to the backing. 9 times out of 10, I can get the label off the backing without the ink cracking, and then once I gently apply it, I cover it with a piece of packing tape. Works for me because presentation of the return address label is not critical; packing tape on top is okay. GOOD LUCK!!


I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you've experienced and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. I just took a quick look at your customer account to see if I could tell which type of printer you are using, but it appears that you have purchased both inkjet and laser label materials from us in the past. Are you experiencing this issue with an inkjet printer or a laser printer? I may be able to provide some suggestions that improve the durability of your printed labels.
#11 Posted : 3/3/2015 2:38:51 PM(EST)
NKD

Rank: New User

Posts: 1

I am experiencing the same problem as everyone else with the Polyester Weatherproof Laser Labels. I, too, bought these labels thinking that they would solve my label problems, but they don't. I used to buy the standard white matte label and spray them, but that was such an inconvenience. I then switched to the Polyester Weatherproof thinking it would solve everyting and alleviate the extra, burdensome step of spraying them. Yes. The are weatherproof and hold very well in water, but the ink cracks. They don't even have to handled too much for this to happen and they don't have to be wet. My logo has a black background and this area us much worse than other areas. It's like the polyester is keeping the ink from properly adhering and becoming a permanent part of the label. I'm printing with a new HP Laserjet Pro 400 color printer that I bought last year. Settings are all as they should be for a label. I ONLY use HP Laserjet ink and I've never used any other type of ink. I don't want to go back to spraying with Krylon...the smell lingers on the label. In addition, I didn't think the polyester weatherproof label could be effectively sprayed with Krylon. Based on your posts in this thread, I see they can. Thank you in advance.
#12 Posted : 3/4/2015 9:44:07 AM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NKD Go to Quoted Post
I am experiencing the same problem as everyone else with the Polyester Weatherproof Laser Labels. I, too, bought these labels thinking that they would solve my label problems, but they don't. I used to buy the standard white matte label and spray them, but that was such an inconvenience. I then switched to the Polyester Weatherproof thinking it would solve everyting and alleviate the extra, burdensome step of spraying them. Yes. The are weatherproof and hold very well in water, but the ink cracks. They don't even have to handled too much for this to happen and they don't have to be wet. My logo has a black background and this area us much worse than other areas. It's like the polyester is keeping the ink from properly adhering and becoming a permanent part of the label. I'm printing with a new HP Laserjet Pro 400 color printer that I bought last year. Settings are all as they should be for a label. I ONLY use HP Laserjet ink and I've never used any other type of ink. I don't want to go back to spraying with Krylon...the smell lingers on the label. In addition, I didn't think the polyester weatherproof label could be effectively sprayed with Krylon. Based on your posts in this thread, I see they can. Thank you in advance.


I'm sorry to hear the issue that you are experiencing. Toner cracking generally occurs when excess toner is being placed onto the surface of the sheet and the fusing temperature isn't high enough to bond the toner properly - it tends to be more prevalent on designs where a dark background color is being printed on to the label. You mentioned in your post that you have your printer settings set correctly for label printing, but there are a few things worth checking to ensure you're receiving the most durable prints possible.

- The printer's material or paper type setting usually plays a pretty significant role in fusing temperature. If you don't already have it set to Labels, I would try that first. If your material setting is already set to Labels then setting it to something even heavier (heavy paper, cardstock, etc.) could potentially improve durability.

- As mentioned above, toner cracking can sometimes occur due to too much toner being output by the printer onto the label sheet. If you've already adjusted your material type setting and are still experiencing the issue, you may want to try reducing the print quality - especially if you have the quality set to the highest option. Changing the quality setting from best to normal should reduce the toner output to some degree, which in turn could potentially result in a better bond between the toner and the facesheet.

- Some laser printers also have an setting for DPI (dots per inch). Reducing the DPI should have a similar effect to lowering the quality setting when it comes to toner output. Adjusting this setting could potentially improve your print durability as well.

Depending on the printer model, finding the proper combination of printer settings can sometimes require a little trial and error. If you'd like to request some free sample sheets to test your printer settings with, you can do so by visiting the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels..../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope you find this information helpful. If you should require any additional details please just let me know.

#13 Posted : 5/20/2015 8:36:24 PM(EST)
xolite

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
Canada

I just purchased these and then seen this in the forum. Can anyone confirm if they resolved the issue?

Printer that I will be using is a Brother MFC-9130CW Laser.

Thank you.
#14 Posted : 5/21/2015 9:32:49 AM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: xolite Go to Quoted Post
I just purchased these and then seen this in the forum. Can anyone confirm if they resolved the issue?

Printer that I will be using is a Brother MFC-9130CW Laser.

Thank you.


I just checked our database of printer feedback surveys and the Brother MFC-9130CW has received very positive reviews from our customers who have used it. It should work well with our Weatherproof Polyester Laser material. To receive the best possible printing results, set the material type setting in your printer options to a heavier option such as labels, cardstock, or heavy paper.

If you should have any questions after using the labels please contact our customer service department for assistance. You can reach them directly by phone at 1-888-575-2235, or submit a support ticket at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelab...port/SupportRequest.aspx
#15 Posted : 7/22/2015 8:25:54 PM(EST)
scissors

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
United States

for weather proof labels we usually buy from a different store pre printed because of similar issues.
#16 Posted : 10/20/2015 3:15:38 AM(EST)
NWAR

Rank: New User

Posts: 1
United States
Location: TEXAS

I have similar issues, I use OL173SP with a canon toner printer, and the writing can rub off. The only solution that has seemed to work for me is to lightly spray a clear coat of poly on the labels before labeling my product. However at times I am not in a position to do that as many times I print my labels onsite when the product is sold.
#17 Posted : 10/20/2015 8:10:16 AM(EST)
Josh


Rank: OnlineLabels Rep

Posts: 358
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NWAR Go to Quoted Post
I have similar issues, I use OL173SP with a canon toner printer, and the writing can rub off. The only solution that has seemed to work for me is to lightly spray a clear coat of poly on the labels before labeling my product. However at times I am not in a position to do that as many times I print my labels onsite when the product is sold.


I'm glad to hear that the clear coat spray has been working well as a solution for you. Have you tried adjusting your printer settings at all? If your printer has options for heavier paper types that can do wonders for print durability on plastic film materials. Generally, we see the best results when using settings such as Labels, Transparencies, Cardstock, or Heavy Paper.
#18 Posted : 11/20/2015 12:58:05 PM(EST)
JMPhilly

Rank: New User

Posts: 2
United States
Location: Ohio

I am having a different issue with the laser weatherproof labels. No matter what I try I can not get my images (company logo) to print in high quality. I am using a Brother HL-3140CW laser printer. I even contacted Brother for help/suggestions. When printing on a standard matte label the image quality is 100% perfect. We also have good quality inkjet printers in the office so I have ordered a sample of the weatherproof material for inkjet printers hoping to get better results. Unfortunately I have been told that I can not return the laser labels at full price (only partial refund of 50%) and then order the exact same labels in the inkjet material because they are considered a custom label due to the size ordered. Nothing worse then spending hours and hours on a project only to find yourself up against a brick wall. Frustrated to say the least.
#19 Posted : 11/22/2015 7:04:02 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany


Rank: Label King

Posts: 628
United States
Location: Sanford

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JMPhilly Go to Quoted Post
I am having a different issue with the laser weatherproof labels. No matter what I try I can not get my images (company logo) to print in high quality. I am using a Brother HL-3140CW laser printer. I even contacted Brother for help/suggestions. When printing on a standard matte label the image quality is 100% perfect. We also have good quality inkjet printers in the office so I have ordered a sample of the weatherproof material for inkjet printers hoping to get better results. Unfortunately I have been told that I can not return the laser labels at full price (only partial refund of 50%) and then order the exact same labels in the inkjet material because they are considered a custom label due to the size ordered. Nothing worse then spending hours and hours on a project only to find yourself up against a brick wall. Frustrated to say the least.


JMPhilly - I apologize for the issues that you are experiencing. Can you provide some additional details on the image quality? You mention that it isn't printing high quality, but what is specifically not high quality about the image that is printing?

Our return policy on custom items is in place due to the fact that the item that you ordered was produced just for you and we are unable to take it back and resell it. I took a look at your account and I see the order that you placed for the custom item was for 100 sheets. I am happy to work with you on a plan to get them exchanged out for a product that works correctly. I will have our customer service manager contact you.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#20 Posted : 12/15/2015 5:32:43 PM(EST)
JMPhilly

Rank: New User

Posts: 2
United States
Location: Ohio

I still have not heard from a Customer Service Manager regarding this issue.
2 Pages12»
Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.