Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/1/2019 8:53:36 PM(EST)
samdavisok

United States

UPDATE

I bought the HP Envy 5055 and it worked like a dream.

For some reason the natural margins are smaller than on the Canon Pixma Pro100 so printing without borderless selected straight from the browser window works fine and prints the edges of the labels. When selecting borderless the same issue below occurs so it must have something to do with Mac's printing software.

After being on the phone with Canon and OnlineLabels.com for hours this week, I think I have pinpointed the issues but now I feel as though there is nothing I can do. Has anyone else had these issues or can think of a solution? I have tried just about everything.

Issues
OL875 address labels

A. Printing Regular (With Border)
-the non-printable margins on the left and right side are cutting off the edges of the labels. (but everything else is perfect and aligned)

B. Printing Borderless
-fixes the non-printable margins
BUT
-scales the image (I assume) no matter what settings I play with and un-aligns the labels in a non uniform way.
-middle labels are good, top and bottom labels are stretched to the vertical edges of the paper.

PHOTOS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMvLz7T8HJ7gfJJv5

My Computer and Printer
-Mac (up to date software)
-Canon Pixma Pro-100

My Methods (Softwares)
-From browser (Chrome & Safari)
-From pdf
-From Adobe Acrobat Reader
-From Microsoft Word (downloadable template and custom template)

Printing Settings
A) (Regular) (With Border)
-Paper size: US Letter
-Margins: 0
-Scale: actual size, 100%, fit (all result in same)
-Paper: plain paper, photo paper (all result in same)

B) (Borderless)
-Paper size: US Letter Borderless
-Margins: 0
-Scale: actual size, 100%, fit (all result in same)
-Paper: plain paper, photo paper (all result in same)

Solution/Questions
At this point, I can't think of any other reason my issues are occurring other than the printer I am using. Not the settings or whatever.
I think I just want to buy a printer specifically for printing these labels
-OL875
-OL125
-OL2683

Is anyone else
-using the Canon Pixma pro-100?
-having these issues?
-suggest a printer that works well with printing labels?

Edited by user Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:03:09 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 7/2/2019 10:44:49 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm very happy to hear that you were able to find a printer that resolved your issues. We've had a lot of success with various HP printer models over the years. I'm sure this one will work very well for your specific application.

In my experience, the issue you've described with the borderless printing function occurs regardless of whether you're printing with a Mac or a PC. I've tested the borderless printing function using a few different printers with a PC, and it seems that when using this feature the scaling is modified in a way that affects alignment.

Rather than attempting to use the borderless option, it's better to either find a printer model that allows for smaller non-printable margins or to use label configurations that have larger left and right margins. I'm glad you were able to find a printer model with non-printable margins that suit the label configurations you're using!
#3 Posted : 1/8/2020 10:45:58 PM(EST)
foxlairdesigns

United States

I am having the exact same issue with my Canon TS9521C!!! I am so frustrated! It just refuses to do borderless unless I use the rear feeders, but when I do, the alignment is off. I just got this printer!
#4 Posted : 1/9/2020 9:27:06 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: foxlairdesigns Go to Quoted Post
I am having the exact same issue with my Canon TS9521C!!! I am so frustrated! It just refuses to do borderless unless I use the rear feeders, but when I do, the alignment is off. I just got this printer!

Unfortunately, this is a physical limitation of printer models in general. Every printer on the market today has a fixed, maximum printable area. The area between where the ink or toner stops and the edge of the sheet is called the non-printable margins. The non-printable margins exist as a safe-zone of sorts. Routinely printing too close to the edge of the sheet can cause damage to the printer mechanically. There isn't a default size for non-printable margins, and they tend to vary from printer to printer. We do have a tool available to help determine the non-printable margin of your specific printer model:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/printermargins.aspx

The borderless printing option available on various printer models is a means to temporarily get around this limitation and force printing to the edge of the sheet, but it does so in a way that makes it nearly useless for printing aligned label sheets. Instead of printing the data on your template that extends into the non-printable margins, the borderless printing option will generally take the artwork within the safe-zone and scale it outward. The increase in scaling makes everything slightly larger, throwing alignment off in the process.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to alter the functionality of the borderless printing option to allow for better aligned labels. You can resolve the issue you're experiencing in a couple of ways. One option would be to use the printer margin tool posted above to determine your printer's non-printable margins. Once you know the non-printable margins you can look for a label configuration that features large enough margins to allow for full-bleed printing without using the borderless printing option. If you do decide to use a different label configuration we'll be happy to assist you with a return and refund for the product that isn't working for you.

The other option would be to look for a printer model that features more forgiving non-printable margins. This can be tricky to accomplish as the printer manufacturers don't typically publish this information. The original poster did mention they moved from their Canon printer to an HP ENVY 5055 with very positive results, so if you decide to look for a different printer model you may want to check this one out.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#5 Posted : 8/24/2020 12:43:38 PM(EST)
Leanne mac

Canada

I'm not sure if anyone is finding this post because we're having the same issue. I was and it was driving me crazy. I use a Canon Pixma pro-100 and online labels precut stickers. I finally discovered after several hours of pulling my hair out that if you choose custom for the paper size in the setup menu it will actually let the the colour print true to the template. It allows the margins to be smaller. I was pretty panicked when I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new printer, but for those of you who can't maybe give that a try.
#6 Posted : 8/24/2020 3:21:33 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Leanne mac Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if anyone is finding this post because we're having the same issue. I was and it was driving me crazy. I use a Canon Pixma pro-100 and online labels precut stickers. I finally discovered after several hours of pulling my hair out that if you choose custom for the paper size in the setup menu it will actually let the the colour print true to the template. It allows the margins to be smaller. I was pretty panicked when I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new printer, but for those of you who can't maybe give that a try.

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I haven't had an opportunity to use the PIXMA Pro-100, so I'm unable to test the solution myself, but it sounds like it will potentially be very useful to anyone else who finds this thread in the future. I'm very happy to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks again for posting!
#7 Posted : 9/5/2020 6:52:16 PM(EST)
lstiers

United States

I have the same issue with my Pixmo Pro 100, but worse -- even when I select a standard US letter (not even borderless), my OL750 is misaligned, and the misalignment gets worse as from the top down. Seems like it scales everything up just a tiny bit. Very frustrating - burned through a lot of ink and paper today trying to sort this out
#8 Posted : 9/8/2020 11:11:42 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: lstiers Go to Quoted Post
I have the same issue with my Pixmo Pro 100, but worse -- even when I select a standard US letter (not even borderless), my OL750 is misaligned, and the misalignment gets worse as from the top down. Seems like it scales everything up just a tiny bit. Very frustrating - burned through a lot of ink and paper today trying to sort this out

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with scaling and alignment when using this printer too. I don't have access to this specific printer model, but I've read through the manual and looked through various topics on Canon's community forums. If you haven't tried the suggestion posted previously by Leanne Mac you may want to. She was experiencing a similar issue and seemed to get around it by selecting "Custom" for the paper size rather than the standard letter paper size. I can't say for certain that this will resolve your problem, but based on her feedback it sounds like it may be worth a shot.

A couple of other broad recommendations that may help are listed below:

- After you've selected your printer paper size, make sure the "Normal-size" page layout is selected rather than Borderless, Fit-to-Page or Scaled.
- Once you've selected the "Normal-size" page layout double check that the scaling is set to 100%
- Try changing the material type setting. According to the manual, changing the material type setting can have a major impact on the way the printer functions in regards to feeding and ink output. When using other Canon printers I've found the most success with a photo or glossy material type setting.

If you've tried all the suggestions listed above you may want to visit Canon's professional photo printer community forum. Based on the posts over there it seems that scaling issues come up from time to time with this model. You may be able to find someone posting in that community that can help with troubleshooting related specifically to the Canon PIXMA Pro-100 printer model. You can visit their forums by clicking on the link below:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/bd-p/proprinters

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know