Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/14/2020 5:43:35 PM(EST)
Takeelah

Hi,
I recently purchased these weatherproof labels to go on 1 dram glass dropper bottles. I wiped the bottle down first with alcohol wipe and then applied the label. It seemed to stick fairly well, until I tested what happens if water got on the bottle. The label instantly peeled right up. I tested again, just to make sure I didn't have any part of the label that was lifted and again, the label peeled right up and fell off the bottle. Are there any recommendations on ways to alleviate this? The product these are going to be on will be used in bathrooms where there will be moisture and I can't have labels peeling right off the product like that.

Thank you
#2 Posted : 11/16/2020 9:13:51 AM(EST)
Takeelah

A follow up to this post...
Saturday night, I applied a new label to a bottle and decided that I'd let that sit 24 hours and see if any change. This morning I wet my hands and just grabbed the bottle and within 10 seconds the label was almost completely peeled off by itself. So it seems like waiting didn't really help it any. I'm not sure what to really do. If these labels are supposed to be able to withstand weather, I'm not sure why they are not sticking to this glass.
#3 Posted : 11/16/2020 11:34:40 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced when applying the labels to your dropper bottles. Our weatherproof polyester material has been tested extensively on glass bottles and jars, and the labels typically hold up very well even when exposed to moisture. Regardless of the type of material or adhesive being used, applying labels to a very small, curved container can be tricky. There are a few steps you can take that should promote better adhesion on these types of applications.

- The first step is cleaning the surface of the container, which you're already doing. This is important because any dust or debris on the surface of a bottle can definitely impact the permanence of adhesion. In some cases, empty bottles will have a slightly oily residue as a result of the manufacturing process. This can cause adhesive issues as well. Wiping the containers down with alcohol and letting them dry completely should alleviate these concerns.

- The manner in which the label is applied can have a significant impact on the adhesive strength as well, especially on small containers with a very tight curve radius. Excessive surface tension can result in weak adhesion and cause the labels to lift away from the surface more easily. To reduce surface tension you'll want to apply the center of the label first, and then apply pressure evenly going outwards in both directions. Applying one edge of the label first and then wrapping it around the bottle will result in excess surface tension and make the labels much more prone to lifting at the edges. The adhesive on our label products is pressure sensitive, so make sure you're applying significant pressure when placing the labels to ensure the strongest possible adhesion.

- The size of the label can impact the strength of adhesion on small wrap-around applications as well. Ideally, you'd want a label size that wraps around and overlaps onto itself by at least a quarter of an inch. If the label only overlaps by a small amount the exposed edge may be more prone to lifting. If there's no overlap at all then the application method detailed above becomes even more important. In this scenario, using a larger label size and incorporating an overlap may help resolve the issue as well.

If you're interested in trying samples of any of our other label sizes for testing purposes you can enter a request at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

If you find that you're unable to use the labels and would like to initiate a product return you can do so at the following link:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/returns

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know. If you'd like to speak with one of our team members for additional trouble shooting please just give us a call directly at 1-888-575-2235.