Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/4/2021 2:36:42 PM(EST)
SarahMac

Canada

I'm using the weatherproof polyester labels to create labels with an HP LaserJet Pro M454dw.

My label design is a full black background with white text. Not only does the black easily scratch off but when I remove the label off the glass jar (to reposition), the black toner flakes off when it is replaced to the jar. Should I be able to reposition a label without completely ruining it?

I've printed off using the "label" setting as well as the "matte photo 200g" setting.

Any other trouble shooting I can do?
#2 Posted : 11/4/2021 5:02:05 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you've experienced and I'll be happy to help however I can.

Printing a full black background can be tough on a film-based laser material. The high-density, high-coverage black toner coupled with the film label material may require you to choose an even heavier paper type setting than the ones you've already tried. If your printer model has paper type settings for cardstock, glossy cardstock, transparencies, or heavy paper it may be worth trying those options as well. The heavier paper type options typically ramp up the fusing temperature, which may be necessary to properly bond the excessive amount of black toner to the film-based facestock.

I was able to locate the manual for your printer model, and it looks like there are a couple of other things you can try as well:

- Check to see if EconoMode is enabled. If EconoMode is enabled, try disabling this setting and then print again. Economode can sometimes result in print that can be scratched away more easily than normal.

- Adjust the print density. Reducing print density on a full black background will likely improve the bond between the toner and the surface of the labels. You can find instructions for adjusting the print density on page 113 of the printer manual, linked to below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06322617.pdf

Regarding your question about repositioning the labels, the adhesive on our weatherproof polyester material is a permanent adhesive that isn't meant to be repositioned. The force required to pull the label up from its application surface could potentially cause toner flaking. Of course, if any of the suggestions above help increase the bond between the toner and the surface of the labels, that would likely make repositioning the labels a bit easier too.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 11/4/2021 8:31:45 PM(EST)
SarahMac

Canada

I'll try these suggestions and see how they turn out, thank you.
Ultimately, I think I'm going to have to give up on it.

Are there are any alternative products I could use? To achieve a black label with white text?
#4 Posted : 11/5/2021 1:57:18 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

If you need a weatherproof label, our weatherproof vinyl material for laser printing may be worth testing. This is a specialized product that's only available in select sizes. You can view more information about this material and view the available label sizes at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-vinyl-laser

If you're not as concerned with a moisture resistant label, you could potentially try our white gloss laser material as well. This is a paper-based product with a glossy topcoat. It isn't going to hold up in direct contact with moisture, but for a dry application it should work well. You can view more information about our white gloss laser material below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/gloss-laser-labels

If you'd like to try any of these materials before making a purchase, you can request a free sample pack by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#5 Posted : 2/13/2022 11:07:16 AM(EST)
chrisscentialsLLC

United States

I'm having issues with printing labels with the weatherproof polyester laserjet labels. I have a HP envy 5052 printer, and i've adjusted my property options to what was available, to try and see if any other options would print the labels without smearing. Nothing works, and my labels come out extremely wet still, I even let them sit for 5 hours to dry, and when I came back to them, everything was so badly smeared from the ink just moving, that nothing was legible on the labels at all, and still wet to touch. Is there a fix for this, or are these labels just not gonna work out for me? It's pretty disappointing as i've wasted quite a few sheets now trying to change my options on the printer and print test runs hoping for success. Options I've tried to print on as the Paper Type so far include:
HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper
HP Matte Presentation Paper

I've also adjusted the printer settings to best quality for printing, which didn't change anything unfortunately.
#6 Posted : 2/14/2022 1:02:46 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: chrisscentialsLLC Go to Quoted Post
I'm having issues with printing labels with the weatherproof polyester laserjet labels. I have a HP envy 5052 printer, and i've adjusted my property options to what was available, to try and see if any other options would print the labels without smearing. Nothing works, and my labels come out extremely wet still, I even let them sit for 5 hours to dry, and when I came back to them, everything was so badly smeared from the ink just moving, that nothing was legible on the labels at all, and still wet to touch. Is there a fix for this, or are these labels just not gonna work out for me? It's pretty disappointing as i've wasted quite a few sheets now trying to change my options on the printer and print test runs hoping for success. Options I've tried to print on as the Paper Type so far include:
HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper
HP Matte Presentation Paper

I've also adjusted the printer settings to best quality for printing, which didn't change anything unfortunately.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. I was able to locate your account and confirm that you did purchase the weatherproof polyester material for laser printers. The HP Envy 5052 is an inkjet printer model, which is the reason you're experiencing the smearing ink issue. The weatherproof polyester material is only compatible with toner-based laser printers. We do have two weatherproof options available that are compatible with inkjet printers. You can view more information on both of these materials at the links below:

Weatherproof Matte Inkjet
Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet

You can initiate a product return by visiting the link below, and then place a new order for one of the inkjet compatible weatherproof materials.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/returns

If you'd prefer speaking with one of our customer service team members to assist you with the return and with placing a new order for the correct material, you can reach them directly by dialing 1-888-575-2235. You can also submit a support ticket by clicking the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#7 Posted : 10/14/2023 5:36:13 PM(EST)
heatherkiddoo

United States

Hi! I'm using weatherproof polyester for laser 3x3 labels. I have a brother HL-L321OCW Laser printer. When I first started printing on this printer - all my labels turned out amazing. After a few months they started becoming very pixilated, almost like there is oil on my labels and the ink is only sticking to certain spots on the paper. There is nothing on the labels. They have been stored in the plastic container they came in from online labels.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this? Does it have to do with heat from the printer? I'm assuming it's a printer issue, not a label issue as the laser printer prints fine on the matte labels I purchased from online labels.

thank you!
Heather
#8 Posted : 10/16/2023 8:45:42 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the print quality issue on your labels. For color-related and toner fusion issues, we recommend adjusting your printer's paper type setting to Labels, Cardstock, or Transparency. It sounds like, in this case, you're describing an uneven print coverage. I'd first make sure you're using Brother brand toner and run a cleaning cycle to help clear any possible toner buildup on the print heads. Once a cleaning cycle has been run, try a test print with one of the specialty paper types mentioned.

Please let me know if these recommendations don't resolve the issue so we can explore some other options.