Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/30/2018 10:29:01 PM(EST)
JCMattressco

United States

I am looking to print decals with the vinyl weatherproof sheets OL3536LV. I am new to laser printers and looking to get opinions on using the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer. I have read the HP printers work well but I want to make sure this model will work. I can get it for $219 but I want to make sure it will work well. My decals will be put to the test outdoors.
#2 Posted : 4/2/2018 2:24:16 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JCMattressco Go to Quoted Post
I am looking to print decals with the vinyl weatherproof sheets OL3536LV. I am new to laser printers and looking to get opinions on using the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer. I have read the HP printers work well but I want to make sure this model will work. I can get it for $219 but I want to make sure it will work well. My decals will be put to the test outdoors.

Thanks for your inquiry. I used two very similar printer models while print testing the the Weatherproof Vinyl for Laser label material - the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn. Both printers worked great with the vinyl label material, and were capable of producing high-quality color prints that were extremely durable to moisture and heavy handling.

I haven't used the specific HP LaserJet model referred to in your post, but I've been very happy with the performance of every other LaserJet unit that I've had the opportunity to use with our label materials. I think you'll be very pleased with the printer's performance on the vinyl material.

If you'd like to try samples of the OL3536LV before making a purchase you can request a free sample pack at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this information helps. If you need anything else please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 4/8/2018 12:27:05 PM(EST)
JCMattressco

United States

Josh on the hp printers what do you recommend for a paper type setting with these vinyl decals? Thank you
#4 Posted : 4/9/2018 8:38:57 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: JCMattressco Go to Quoted Post
Josh on the hp printers what do you recommend for a paper type setting with these vinyl decals? Thank you

I typically use Labels, Matte Photo, or Other Photo paper as the material type when printing on the weatherproof vinyl material with an HP LaserJet printer model. Please just let me know if you need any additional details.
#5 Posted : 12/9/2021 2:31:40 AM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

I have been using the weather proof vinyl for laser for about 6 weeks now and I'm noticing a problem.

I use a HP m454.

When I use Extra Heavy, Card Stock, or Heavy Matte, the color looks good, but comes loose and smears when I peel the sticker.

If I use a glossy setting, it looks faded, uneven, but is unaffected when peeled and stuck.

#6 Posted : 12/9/2021 10:04:40 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. I haven't had a chance to use the HP Color LaserJet Pro M454, but I do have access to the M452dn model which should be very similar in terms of functionality. I've typically had the most success using photo settings with the weatherproof vinyl material, specifically the HP Matte Photo 200g setting. This paper type setting has routinely provided excellent print quality and durability across a wide range of label designs and artwork. If your printer model has a comparable setting I'd definitely recommend giving that a try. In addition to the HP Matte Photo 200g setting, I've also had success using the Labels paper type setting. If you haven't already, it's probably worth trying that paper type setting as well.

If you've already tried the adjustments mentioned above, the manual for your printer model lists a few potential solutions for improving the print quality on the glossy setting. You can access the online version of the manual at the link below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06322617.pdf

- Calibrate the printer to align colors. Calibration can help resolve a wide variety of print quality issues. See page 111 in the manual for steps on completing the calibration process.
- Check the EconoMode settings on your printer. EconoMode can help conserve toner usage, but it can also result in lighter, less durable print. If it's enabled, you should definitely try disabling the option. Details can be found on page 112-113 of the manual.
- Manually adjust print density. Increasing the density should provide darker colors and a more even print. This setting can only be accessed by using the printer's IP address in a web browser. Instructions can be found on page 113 of the manual.

Some combination of the appropriate paper type setting with the troubleshooting suggestions provided above should improve your print quality. I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#7 Posted : 12/12/2021 11:15:12 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

Unfortunately the "label" setting was the worst I've ever seen.

The "HP Matte Photo 200g" is what I meant by heavy matte.
The results are the same as all the other non glossy heavy settings. Looks good, but the toner comes off, especially upon the act of peeling.

To be more precise, when you roll/fold the sticker in on it self, which sometimes happens especially with a smaller sticker when peeling, the toner comes off, either onto your fingers, smearing the rest of the image, and if it started red, it now leaves pink marks where it was.

This is worse with certain colors. Red is the worst. Orange and green are also bad, but no where near the red.

Other things I print are find, but anything with a lot of solid red is total garbage with the weather proof vinyl:(

(absolutely perfect on the weatherproof polyester (on plain), but that scratches easily).

I'm afraid I need to shut down my business till this gets fixed.

My first order of weather proof vinyl did not have this issue, and I know this because I used the stuff myself, and when I make those same stickers now using my 2nd batch, I have the problem.

I still do not know if its the material, the printer, or the change in weather. I cannot for the life of me find an "economode" to turn on/off. but my fingers are covered in toner dust, so I do not suspect that is the issue.

Edited by user Monday, December 13, 2021 1:42:12 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#8 Posted : 12/13/2021 11:33:18 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

The EconoMode setting should be located in the Paper/Quality tab of your print driver settings, as a checkbox option in the Print Quality section. That's where the setting is located on my HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn. I don't have access to the M454 model to confirm, but based on the similarity between the two printers I would imagine that's where you'll find the EconoMode setting in your printer options.

I've thoroughly combed through the manual for your printer model at this point, and I'm not sure there's much further to suggest regarding troubleshooting techniques. Are you using official HP toner cartridges? I have seen instances where remanufactured or third-party toner cartridges can cause issues with print durability and toner fusion. These issues likely won't occur when printing on plain paper, but may arise with specialty materials like weatherproof label materials.

I'd recommend reaching out to our customer service team so that they can take a closer look at the material you've purchased. If you can provide them with the lot numbers of the material that's causing the issue they should be able to check and see if the material itself has any complaints logged. If they determine that there may be an issue with a material lot that you received, they'd be able to send you some sample sheets from a different production lot to determine if the issue is isolated to a specific material lot. You can reach our customer service team by dialing 1-888-575-2235, or by submitting a support ticket at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx

If for any reason you decide you can't use the material that you've purchased you can initiate a product return with one of our customer service representatives, or by initiating a return at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/returns

Please just give our customer support team a call, or submit a ticket, and they'll be more than happy to continue looking into this issue for you.

#9 Posted : 12/13/2021 4:16:10 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

The toner is genuine HP, and was working fine until I started on this new ream. 3 reams tested, and no change.

This mode option does not seem to exist. Still looking though as I have nothing else to do.

I even went to buy a 2nd printer, to see if the printer is the issue, and due to shortages everywhere I cannot.
I've been considering a back up printer anyways, and really wish I already had.

#10 Posted : 3/11/2022 3:54:09 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

I just wanted to touch back with you. I've been dealing with my HP for over a year, had 2 of this model, and also 1 480. Also used multiple computers and software to try to find the issue.
HP is weird, and their help is beyond useless.

This particular paper works best on heavy glossy, when the HP is behaving.
But sometimes its a single sheet, sometimes its every print for a month, it'll just go whacko and act like it's in the described Economode.
The 454's are listed as "some have an economode" but it's never an actual option to turn on or off.
the 480 is has no mention of this mode.

But anyways, when the machine goes whacko, heavy glossy turns to garbage. Its faded, solids look like a pattern, and often has white spots.
Photo Matte 200g looks ok while the machine is whacko, but the red does not fuse. the red will flake off when the stickers are peeled.
So you have to print something else on the same sheet to run it through twice. it does not look as good as heavy glossy when the machine is normal, and you still have a little flaking, and the smell of toner gets a lot worse, but running it through twice makes it "almost good enough".

when the machine stops being whacko, photomatte will use WAY too much toner and make a huge mess inside your machine.
and once cleaned, heavy glossy is the way to go.

I honestly do not get it. especially when it only happens for one print. HP is making me crazy.

I've only been using this particular paper since Oct, but this has been a problem for at least 13 months with other label paper with these 3 different HPs.

At any rate, I'm convinced its not the paper, but HP.

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post
The EconoMode setting should be located in the Paper/Quality tab of your print driver settings, as a checkbox option in the Print Quality section. That's where the setting is located on my HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn. I don't have access to the M454 model to confirm, but based on the similarity between the two printers I would imagine that's where you'll find the EconoMode setting in your printer options.

I've thoroughly combed through the manual for your printer model at this point, and I'm not sure there's much further to suggest regarding troubleshooting techniques. Are you using official HP toner cartridges? I have seen instances where remanufactured or third-party toner cartridges can cause issues with print durability and toner fusion. These issues likely won't occur when printing on plain paper, but may arise with specialty materials like weatherproof label materials.

I'd recommend reaching out to our customer service team so that they can take a closer look at the material you've purchased. If you can provide them with the lot numbers of the material that's causing the issue they should be able to check and see if the material itself has any complaints logged. If they determine that there may be an issue with a material lot that you received, they'd be able to send you some sample sheets from a different production lot to determine if the issue is isolated to a specific material lot. You can reach our customer service team by dialing 1-888-575-2235, or by submitting a support ticket at the link below:

If for any reason you decide you can't use the material that you've purchased you can initiate a product return with one of our customer service representatives, or by initiating a return at the link below:

Please just give our customer support team a call, or submit a ticket, and they'll be more than happy to continue looking into this issue for you.

Edited by user Friday, March 11, 2022 3:57:51 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#11 Posted : 3/15/2022 12:49:17 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: MidWestern Clipper Go to Quoted Post
I just wanted to touch back with you. I've been dealing with my HP for over a year, had 2 of this model, and also 1 480. Also used multiple computers and software to try to find the issue.

But sometimes its a single sheet, sometimes its every print for a month, it'll just go whacko and act like it's in the described Economode.
The 454's are listed as "some have an economode" but it's never an actual option to turn on or off.

But anyways, when the machine goes whacko, heavy glossy turns to garbage. Its faded, solids look like a pattern, and often has white spots.
Photo Matte 200g looks ok while the machine is whacko, but the red does not fuse. the red will flake off when the stickers are peeled.
So you have to print something else on the same sheet to run it through twice. it does not look as good as heavy glossy when the machine is normal, and you still have a little flaking, and the smell of toner gets a lot worse, but running it through twice makes it "almost good enough".

when the machine stops being whacko, photomatte will use WAY too much toner and make a huge mess inside your machine.

I honestly do not get it. especially when it only happens for one print. HP is making me crazy.

I've only been using this particular paper since Oct, but this has been a problem for at least 13 months with other label paper with these 3 different HPs.

Thank you for the detailed and valuable feedback. I'm sure that it will prove useful to anyone experiencing similar issues. I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing these odd issues with the HP laser printers, and that their support hasn't been able to provide a detailed explanation as to why it may be occurring.

For the vast majority of applications and print jobs, I do still recommend that users try the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers as they have a proven track record with our selection of laser compatible label materials. Unfortunately, certain applications may result in unexpected issues that are difficult to diagnose and account for.

I've had a chance recently to use one of Canon's color laser printers and have been very happy with it's performance for general label printing applications across our selection of materials. The model I've used is the Canon imageCLASS LBP622Cdw. The print output has been excellent but the printer is a little more finnicky to use compared to the HP printers, mainly due to the paper type settings being limited to the control panel on the printer itself. Rather than making adjustments to the paper type and quality within the print driver, you have to manually adjust those settings from the control panel on the printer model instead. I can't guarantee that this printer will resolve the issues that you're experiencing, but it's something else to consider if you ever find yourself at the end of your rope with HP.
#12 Posted : 3/16/2022 1:22:03 PM(EST)
BoncrusherPLT

United States

Hey All - New here. I'm having a similar issue. I'm using 'Glossy Presentation' and the standard 'HP Brochure Glossy 200g' - I'm going to try the recommendation of doing Heavy Glossy or Photo Matte 200g. I've been getting prints on AIVA printable matte vinyl paper - on my xerox workcentre 6515 the color is vivid however it isn't rated for vinyl paper and the black toner comes out 'light'. There isn't a way to tweak this. On the HP the printer works great but some of the photos look desaturated, faded, light. I am also NOT using genuine toner and opted for True Image compatible toner which is also inside my Xerox at the moment. I don't think the issue is the toner nor the paper. I will try these settings out and hope for the best.
#13 Posted : 4/4/2022 1:06:07 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

If you are making stickers, my experience with an HP m454 and 480 is mind boggling. Heavy Glossy is either amazing, or terrible.

All of the matte settings either look good, or fill the printer with toner. If they come out looking good, red will fall off when you print the sticker. DO NOT USE matte with these two models, and if you do use matte, make sure you test a sticker, fold it over and rub itself between your fingers.

This is the best sticker paper in the world, but I don't know what is up with my HPs and why it they all stopped printing on it.

I recently bought and returned a Brother 8360. It was easy to use, toner adhered well, but was bad. The Brother has DISMEL color calibration, and it cannot be adjusted. That is on all paper.
On this paper it's rollers right after the fuser leave glossy lines in the print.
#14 Posted : 4/4/2022 1:29:15 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

Thank you for the detailed and valuable feedback. I'm sure that it will prove useful to anyone experiencing similar issues. I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing these odd issues with the HP laser printers, and that their support hasn't been able to provide a detailed explanation as to why it may be occurring.

For the vast majority of applications and print jobs, I do still recommend that users try the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers as they have a proven track record with our selection of laser compatible label materials. Unfortunately, certain applications may result in unexpected issues that are difficult to diagnose and account for.

I've had a chance recently to use one of Canon's color laser printers and have been very happy with it's performance for general label printing applications across our selection of materials. The model I've used is the Canon imageCLASS LBP622Cdw. The print output has been excellent but the printer is a little more finnicky to use compared to the HP printers, mainly due to the paper type settings being limited to the control panel on the printer itself. Rather than making adjustments to the paper type and quality within the print driver, you have to manually adjust those settings from the control panel on the printer model instead. I can't guarantee that this printer will resolve the issues that you're experiencing, but it's something else to consider if you ever find yourself at the end of your rope with HP.

How is the resolution on that imageCLASS LBP622Cdw?

My HP is 600x600dpi, but HP uses some technomagic making it nearly as good as my first Lexmark which was 1200x1200 (but always breaking down).

I bought, and returned a Brother 8360 which was 2400x600 and it's resolution was not nearly as good as my HP m454. (the horrible color was a much bigger problem).

I've had two HP M454's and one 480, and it's seriously weird. I would have recommended the HP Color LaserJet Pro line as well up through Dec, when they've been hell for me since.
My 454 over last summer would occasionally have a rare print come out bad, then it started doing nothing but bad for hours at a time, then days at a time, and now weeks.
It's worked for only 12 hours in the past 2 months. During the last 12 hour period that it worked, it printed 3 single prints in a row perfect. then 2 sets of 2 terrible. then a whole bunch of of single prints (with only one bad one half way through) the rest of the night.

Yes it was on heavy glossy, and because I'm wondering if I'm loosing my mind, I made sure to triple check this and even take photos of the settings.

In the morning and for the entire week since, it only prints terrible on this paper again.

It's not that HP's help cannot work the problem, its that they WONT. They spent a year fighting with me, telling me my warranty expired before I bought it. Then just sent me a new printer as my actual warranty expired instead of working the issue.

This vinyl paper is the best I can find! I really wish you made something similar for inkjet.

and before you suggest your weatherproof inkjet paper, I've bought both glossy and matte and it is not even in the same league as this stuff. And frankly your website should not suggest it as an inkjet alternative for people looking at this laser vinyl paper.

Its not that the other paper is bad, it's that this laser vinyl is so damn good!

The inkjet paper does not seal itself to surfaces as well, so after just a couple days in a shower, or sink, it begins to loosen itself. Results varied.
I am impressed at how well the matte can absolutely waterproof waterbased dye inks on its own, while the glossy only provided some very low level water resistance for that. It does well against scratches too.
If this paper was better (and cheaper), I would have switched to waterproof pigmented inks. because I cannot even pick up a laser canon, or any other color laser printers right now.. except HPs which seem cursed, and Brothers who are color blind.

I'm incredibly frustrated trying to find a color laser printer available to buy, trying to cast the demons out of my HP, and looking for inkjet vinyl paper that is is nearly as good as your laser vinyl paper. Most reviews on amazon are by idiots. Their tests are lacking, and they fail to have any understanding of ink:(

Edited by user Monday, April 4, 2022 1:30:54 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#15 Posted : 4/4/2022 3:53:39 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Thanks again for all of the detailed feedback. We may look to add a comparable vinyl inkjet product at some point in the future, but it's impossible to say when at this point. We're currently navigating significant, industry-wide supply chain issues that make it nearly impossible to source new materials that we aren't already offering on our website. Once the supply chain has sorted itself out, we'll have a chance to evaluate and make a decision on new product offerings. There's just no way to estimate when that may occur currently.

Regarding the Canon imageCLASS LBP622Cdw, the printer specifications mention a 600x600 resolution. I can't say for certain whether it would meet your specific needs, but I find the print quality comparable to the HP Color LaserJet units that I've used in the past. It's definitely a step above the Brother color laser printers that I've used. You can view the printer specs at the link below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/color-laser/color-imageclass-lbp622cdw

Like so many other industries and products, I know sourcing printer models that are in stock and available currently isn't an easy task. Hopefully additional options will become available in the coming months as some of these supply chain shortages begin to resolve themselves.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: MidWestern Clipper
#16 Posted : 4/22/2022 4:13:46 PM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

I love your companies service and how you've worked with everyone on here.

It's a shame my business has been shut down most of this year.

My HP 454 worked for 12 hours last month printing on this weatherproof vinyl perfectly using heavy glossy. It had 2 misprints that came out faded, but the other 50 were perfect.
The next morning it went back to having them ALL faded and looking terrible:(

It's just bizarre. For a few months I used this paper on that setting, (and a simular paper for many months prior) and had only a few prints randomly come out faded, while the rest have been flawless.

Other settings do not work, or do not stay adhered once the sticker is peeled.

I've been doing as much research as I can, try as many HP's as I can, and I still have nothing. Maybe their was a firmware update? maybe the paper is flawed?
the same paper all came out fine in a brother, just the brother had horrible color calibration (on all paper).

I've been wasting a tonne of paper testing other ways to print.

Since I cannot get lasers, I'm trying to find a good vinyl for inkjets now. If anyone can recommend one....
#17 Posted : 4/25/2022 10:07:31 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I love your companies service and how you've worked with everyone on here.

It's a shame my business has been shut down most of this year.

My HP 454 worked for 12 hours last month printing on this weatherproof vinyl perfectly using heavy glossy. It had 2 misprints that came out faded, but the other 50 were perfect.
The next morning it went back to having them ALL faded and looking terrible:(

It's just bizarre. For a few months I used this paper on that setting, (and a simular paper for many months prior) and had only a few prints randomly come out faded, while the rest have been flawless.

Other settings do not work, or do not stay adhered once the sticker is peeled.

I've been doing as much research as I can, try as many HP's as I can, and I still have nothing. Maybe their was a firmware update? maybe the paper is flawed?
the same paper all came out fine in a brother, just the brother had horrible color calibration (on all paper).

I've been wasting a tonne of paper testing other ways to print.

Since I cannot get lasers, I'm trying to find a good vinyl for inkjets now. If anyone can recommend one....

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing inconsistencies when printing on the weatherproof laser vinyl material. Based on the amount of research that you've completed, it's definitely a puzzling situation to say the least.

We closely monitor all of our products' complaint and quality records down to the individual lot or batch of material. I took a look back through the records for both batches of the weatherproof laser vinyl material that you've received previously to see if there were any similar complaints that might indicate there was some kind of issue with the material, but of the hundreds of orders shipped from these batches there were no similar complaints logged. Based on that information, we're confident that the material itself isn't defective.

Our closest available inkjet options would be the weatherproof matte and weatherproof gloss materials. Based on previous messages, I understand that you've tested both of these materials and are still looking for something that is more similar to the laser vinyl material. Unfortunately, we still don't have access to a vinyl material for inkjet printers, and have no clear timeframe as to when or if we may be able to add a product like that in the future. If anything changes regarding our product offerings, I'll be certain to update this post with pertinent details.
#18 Posted : 6/16/2023 3:09:06 AM(EST)
MidWestern Clipper

United States

Just an update. I've got some new weatherproof vinyl for laser, as well as inkjet.
I did extensive testing on each setting on my HP laser, and this time "Labels" was the best.
However the red still flaked off.

I have a new Canon laser coming next week, and we'll try that.

Your weatherproof inkjet impressed me at how well the color stayed on with non waterproof ink when wet.
I prefer to use waterproof ink, so that's what my further testing had.
It was fairly scratch resistant when dry. However neither gloss nor matte offers any scratch resistant when wet.
Also, the paper itself did not last long in my shower or sinks before loosing all stickiness. I've had some of your vinyl in there for years.

Sheetlabels had an inkjet vinyl that worked well (except on black), but they changed manufactures. As of 2023 it scratches easier than anything I've tested. It's so bad it cannot even go through the cutter (and sometimes the printer) without being scratched.
Their old product felt like a unicorn. Scratch resistant wet/dry, and wouldn't loose stickiness for inkjet.

If you ever update your polyester to be more scratch resistant, I'd love it. Sheetlabels polyester is great that sense, but soooooo thin it'll jam in printers without a pass through, and miscuts almost everytime in the diecast machine.

#19 Posted : 6/16/2023 11:37:41 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you for taking the time to provide the update! I'm glad to hear that the "Labels" setting provided better results on your recent order of the Weatherproof Vinyl Laser (LV) material. Hopefully, your new Canon printer will yield a better output to take care of the toner fusion issue you're still seeing with red colors. If not, please provide the printer model details here, and I can work with you on getting it resolved.

Our Weatherproof Matte Inkjet (WJ) and Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet (WI) are commonly used with bath products and normally hold up well in wet conditions. I'm sorry to hear that these did not adhere well for you. We do offer some general recommendations for optimal adhesion with this article if that's something you'd like to review.

We're always looking to add new products, so I'll follow up with our Product Development Team regarding these material requests.