Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/20/2017 10:51:23 AM(EST)
Mediolimon

Hi, I got the weatherproof polyester and clear gloss paper for laser a few months back. Have not used them yet because I am now looking for a new laser printer. Was considering getting the Brother HL-4570 but have seen mixed reviews about the Brother printers so I am open to any brand. Which printers would you recommend and what are their cons (if known). My budget is up to USD 300.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by user Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:52:57 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 7/20/2017 1:35:18 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for your inquiry - I've always had a lot of success with the HP Color LaserJet series of printers. Most recently I've been using the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn - it has consistently provided excellent printing results across a wide variety of our available label materials, including the Weatherproof Polyester and Clear Gloss Laser materials. It should be available within your stated budget as well.

I've used a few different Brother printers as well and my results have been mixed - the quality is generally good when the labels print properly, but I tend to experience more printer jam errors and feeding issues when using the Brother laser printers with these label materials.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional assistance please just let me know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Mediolimon
#3 Posted : 7/21/2017 2:53:47 AM(EST)
Mediolimon

Hi Josh, Thanks so much for your prompt response and recommendation. Regarding compatible toners, do you have any recommendation for the HP M452dn? Anything I should look for or avoid? Thanks again!
#4 Posted : 7/21/2017 8:30:41 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I've only used the official toner cartridges from HP - the print quality and durability have always been excellent. I would recommend sticking to the HP toner cartridges if possible. It's tempting to look for lower priced alternatives, but the HP toner cartridges will ensure a certain level of consistency and quality.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
#5 Posted : 7/25/2017 9:26:28 AM(EST)
Mediolimon

Hi Josh, Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it. I am trying to get the printer and toner in France because I cannot get it where I live but the printer costs twice the price of the printer...

Would you mind recommending me two other printers that I could also look for?

Should I consider getting the injket labels instead and a laser printer? Gosh...

Thanks again!

Edited by user Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:54:02 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : 7/25/2017 11:11:31 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I just took a look at the available options on HP's French website:

http://store.hp.com/Fran...l=f&fc_ptyp_laserp=1

Any of the available HP LaserJet printer models should work very well with the label products you purchased. The HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw has received excellent feedback on the printer feedback surveys we send out to our customers:

http://store.hp.com/Fran...&opt=B19&sel=PRN

The toner for these printer models seem to be available through HP's French site as well.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#7 Posted : 7/25/2017 11:55:04 AM(EST)
Mediolimon

Hi Josh, Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it. I am trying to get the printer and toner in France because I cannot get it where I live but the printer costs twice the price of the printer...

Would you mind recommending me two other printers that I could also look for?

Should I consider getting the injket labels instead and a laser printer? Gosh...
#8 Posted : 7/25/2017 1:22:18 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Unfortunately, I don't any direct knowledge of the printer and toner market in France. All of the printer models I've used for testing purposes and the vast majority of the printer models that we've received survey responses for were purchased in the United States.

Some additional printer models with positive feedback from our customers are listed below:

Brother HL-5470DW
Xerox Phaser 6022
HP LaserJet Pro 200 color M251nw
HP LaserJet Pro 400 color M451dn
HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw
Canon imageCLASS MF8280cw

It's important to note that I have not had the opportunity to use any of these printers myself, but they've all received positive reviews from multiple customers who have purchased labels from us in the past.

I hope this information helps with your purchasing decision.
#9 Posted : 8/1/2017 9:17:44 AM(EST)
Mediolimon

Hi Josh, Thanks so much for your detailed e-mail. Just one last question, have the users recommending those printers use them for the weatherproof poyester ad clear gloss paper labels?

Thanks again,
Jymdey
#10 Posted : 8/1/2017 10:07:16 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Yes, the printer models listed in my previous post have been reported as working well with both material types by users who completed our printer feedback surveys. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to use these printer models myself, but based on the feedback we have received they should meet your needs.

As with any printer model, try to avoid using refilled or recycled toner cartridges for the best results with our label materials.
#11 Posted : 12/13/2018 3:35:03 PM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

I'm looking for a new printer so I'm very interested in this thread.

I currently use an inkjet printer with your Weatherproof Gloss labels but I find the ink rubs off with use on some of my products so I'm interested in going with your laser labels for better durability.
The HP laser printer that you recommend looks great, but the cost of replacement tone is VERY expensive. So my questions are:

Do you find that the cost averages out because you can print so many more labels per cartridge?

Have you had any problems with this printer smearing or streaking over time? (My current printer, Epson Workforce 3520 has been a great printer but has started smearing the labels. I've tried all the maintenance but nothing has worked).

Thanks so much!!
Robin
#12 Posted : 12/14/2018 11:12:52 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Thanks for your inquiry. At first glance the pricing for OEM toner cartridges does appear to be significant, but there is a sizable difference in the print economy between the two printing methods.

In my experience with cartridge based Epson inkjet printers, even when using high-yield ink cartridges you'll typically be limited to printing somewhere between 100 to 300 full sheets (depending on coverage, colors used, and ink output) before needing to replace certain cartridges.

According to HP's documentation, the toner cartridges associated with the HP Color LaserJet Pro 452dn should provide more than 5,000 pages of full color prints. The upfront cost for laser printing is considerably higher, but it should be a much more economical option over time if you're printing often.

Regarding print durability, I've always been extremely impressed with the HP Color LaserJet series of printers. To ensure the most durable printing results you will want to adjust the material type settings within the printer options to glossy or labels. This will make the printed labels very durable to smudging, smearing and abrasion. Laser printing tends to be much more durable when compared directly to inkjet printing, so I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Beach Bird
#13 Posted : 2/4/2019 6:26:33 PM(EST)
mriggs

Hello,

Was reading the thread and quick question:

Other than being able to use wireless printing with the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dw is there much difference than the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn?

I would like to be set up with wireless printing but want also have to be able to print on the weatherproof polyester labels. Just want to make sure before making the purchase.

Thank you
#14 Posted : 2/6/2019 8:15:44 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: mriggs Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Was reading the thread and quick question:

Other than being able to use wireless printing with the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dw is there much difference than the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn?

I would like to be set up with wireless printing but want also have to be able to print on the weatherproof polyester labels. Just want to make sure before making the purchase.

Thank you

You should definitely be fine using the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dw. I recommended the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn because I use one regularly and have always been pleased with the results, but the actual printing process and print quality should be identical between the two models.

#15 Posted : 2/11/2019 8:52:14 AM(EST)
ilijasekulov

Australia

I am using Canon Pixma g1400 and its fine till now.
#16 Posted : 2/11/2019 11:46:55 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: ilijasekulov Go to Quoted Post
I am using Canon Pixma g1400 and its fine till now.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you're pleased with our inkjet label materials when using the Canon PIXMA G1400.

It's important to note that this thread has been discussing the best printer model for use with our weatherproof polyester laser and clear gloss laser label materials. Both of these material types are meant specifically for use in laser printer models. They will not be compatible with the Canon PIXMA G1400, which is an inkjet printer model.
#17 Posted : 2/21/2019 3:50:39 PM(EST)
Diane_Happy

United States

HI!

We print hundreds of the OL775CX a day and they all stick/heat up while printing - forcing us to have a dedicated position to "Printer Assistant" to unload and monitor them as they come out.

We are using the Brother HL-3170CDW and would love a recommendation for a printer that will allow us to print this amount of labels at a time, where we don't have to monitor the printer.

Thanks in advance!

#18 Posted : 2/22/2019 12:13:02 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Diane_Happy Go to Quoted Post
HI!

We print hundreds of the OL775CX a day and they all stick/heat up while printing - forcing us to have a dedicated position to "Printer Assistant" to unload and monitor them as they come out.

We are using the Brother HL-3170CDW and would love a recommendation for a printer that will allow us to print this amount of labels at a time, where we don't have to monitor the printer.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. Any film based label material is going to experience a buildup of static electricity when being printed with a laser printer, regardless of which printer model you're using. This can make printing large batches of labels somewhat difficult. The static electricity does tend to cause the printed sheets to stick together to some degree, resulting in sheets that won't stack neatly on their own in a printer's output tray.

Unfortunately, I have not discovered a laser printer model that removes this concern entirely. While testing our products I've printed thousands of sheets of the clear matte laser material across printer models from a variety of different popular printer manufacturers, including HP, Brother, Samsung, Xerox, OKI, and Lexmark. When printing large batches of the clear matte laser material I've had to monitor the output of the print job for any film based material.

Certain printer models do produce more static electricity than others. In my experience, Brother laser printers tend to produce an excessive amount of static electricity. As a quick test this morning, I printed a small stack of the clear matte laser material in both my Brother HL-3170 and my HP Color LaserJet M452. While both printers did require the jobs to be monitored, the HP Color LaserJet M452 seemed to produce less static buildup. The sheets didn't stack neatly on their own but they didn't stick together as badly as the sheets printed with the Brother printer model. This allowed for the sheets to be manually stacked significantly easier. I'm not sure if this small improvement would justify purchasing a new printer, but there does appear to be a somewhat significant different in how the sheets handle after being printed.

#19 Posted : 5/8/2023 1:56:39 PM(EST)
RBatts

United States

Since this post is a few years old, I wanted to check to see if you have updated recommendations before I purchase a new printer. I know I want a laser and want to print on your weatherproof glossy labels. Looking at the HP LaserJet Pro 255, but just found a HP LaserJet Pro M283cdw (multipurpose/all in one) that I can get for basically the same cost. Any thoughts on those? Or do you have a different recommendation from the last few years (assuming you still feel that the 255 would work for smaller production needs than your 452)? Thanks in advance!
#20 Posted : 5/8/2023 3:56:30 PM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us! While we do test various printer models with our materials, we haven't had the opportunity to work with the HP LaserJet Pro 255 and HP LaserJet Pro M283cdw models. The most current Hewlett-Packard models we've tested are HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn, which worked well with our Weatherproof Polyester Laser (LP). Any of the HP LaserJet Pro series should print well on our laser compatible materials.

When shopping for a new printer, I suggest checking the printer's requirements to ensure it can handle specialty label materials. There may be some models on the market that don't recommend using synthetic materials. Another consideration is the printer's printable area since many printers have at least one non-printable margin which will prevent it from being able to print to the edge of the sheet, or the edge of the label if the margins are narrow.

You can click here to read more about non-printable margins.