Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages12»
#1 Posted : 8/13/2015 9:30:24 AM(EST)
kmatuschka

I have a Canon Pixma color laser printer. I recently received my order of Clear Gloss Laser - 8.5" x 11" Full Sheet Label With 4 Diagonal Back Slits (Item No. OL713CL). Every time I print, the ink smears terribly and never dries. Even after three days, I can still wipe off the black with my fingers. I tried cleaning the printer nozzles; I changed the print settings to glossy, to high glossy, to feed from the cassette tray, to feed from the rear tray, to print in high resolution, to print normal, etc., but it still smears. (I would attach a photo to show you how bad it is, but I can't figure out how to do that here). I've never had this problem printing on any other labels. Please help.

#2 Posted : 8/13/2015 3:34:55 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
kmatuschka -

Thank you for your inquiry. I'll be happy to provide any assistance that I can.

What is the model number of your Canon PIXMA printer? All of the Canon PIXMA printers that I've dealt with in the past have been inkjet models, so it's possible that the issue is occurring due to laser label material being used in an inkjet printer. If that's the case, we would be happy to take back any of the unused clear gloss laser material for a refund. A new order could then be placed for the clear gloss inkjet material, which works very well in all Canon models I've tested it with.

If you'll respond with the printer model number I'll be happy to look into the issue further, and work towards finding a solution for you.

#3 Posted : 8/14/2015 11:45:44 AM(EST)
awatson117

United States

I have had the exact same issue with the black ink on the white gloss inkjet labels. I have changed every setting on my Canon PIXMA MX490 printer in an attempt to fix the issue and have had no luck. Even letting it dry overnight. Can I return the unused portion and try getting the laser ones instead?
#4 Posted : 8/14/2015 12:28:17 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

awatson117 -

Absolutely! To initiate a product return please visit the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

Once your return has been received we will issue a refund for the unused material. A new order can then be placed for the white gloss laser material.

If you would prefer to process your return and place a new order over the phone please dial 1-888-575-2235. One of our representatives will be more than happy to assist you.
#5 Posted : 8/14/2015 11:55:35 PM(EST)
kmatuschka

Well, I feel stupid now. It's a Canon MP 990. I just googled it and apparently it is an inkjet. Thank you so much for your reply. I'll return the unused portion.
#6 Posted : 8/17/2015 10:08:28 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'm happy that I was able to help. If you should need any additional assistance please just let me know. Thank you for your business!
#7 Posted : 9/18/2015 2:25:46 PM(EST)
Macimage

United States

I realize that you have solved the problem, however, for those with a laser printer that are having this same problem, I found that I can go into my settings and turn the temperature of the printer up which helps the toner bond better.
#8 Posted : 9/21/2015 10:59:09 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Macimage Go to Quoted Post
I realize that you have solved the problem, however, for those with a laser printer that are having this same problem, I found that I can go into my settings and turn the temperature of the printer up which helps the toner bond better.

Thanks for this suggestion. Increasing the fusing temperature on a laser printer is definitely a viable solution to improve the bond between the toner and the surface of the label sheets. For any printer that doesn't have a clearly stated temperature option available, changing the material type setting to a heavier option should provide similar results.
#9 Posted : 3/1/2017 5:49:05 AM(EST)
zalytony

Canada

Originally Posted by: awatson117 Go to Quoted Post
I have had the exact same issue with the black ink on the white gloss inkjet labels. I have changed every setting on my Canon PIXMA MX490 printer in an attempt to fix the issue and have had no luck. Even letting it dry overnight. Can I return the unused portion and try getting the laser ones instead?

If you try to print on paper that exceeds the maximum thickness recommended for your printer, the act of feeding the sheet may cause ink smears because the paper-handling mechanism can't push it through. The inflexibility of heavyweight card stock or photo paper can make its surface touch parts of the printhead that otherwise stay out of direct contact with the media you use. Similarly, if your printer accepts large-format or roll-fed media, avoid trying to make two-sided prints, as the attempt at a second pass through the device can damage the output on the first side you printed. Verify your hardware's specifications in your Canon PIXMA MX490 Manual and try again with suitable output stock.
#10 Posted : 7/13/2018 11:29:14 AM(EST)
pharmucho

United States

I am having the same issue with the gloss and weatherproof labels. I have an HP Envy 4520. It always smears. I believe I ordered the inkjet papers. I don't have this issue with the regular standard papers. Do I need to buy a laser printer. I would hate to, I just bought this one. Thanks
#11 Posted : 7/14/2018 7:14:51 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pharmucho Go to Quoted Post
I am having the same issue with the gloss and weatherproof labels. I have an HP Envy 4520. It always smears. I believe I ordered the inkjet papers. I don't have this issue with the regular standard papers. Do I need to buy a laser printer. I would hate to, I just bought this one. Thanks

Pharmucho - I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I checked your account and I see you requested samples of our white matte weatherproof inkjet labels, white gloss weatherproof inkjet labels, and our standard glossy white inkjet labels. These products are intended for inkjet printing so it does appear that you requested the correct materials.

Is the issue impacting all 3 of the materials that you requested? When you are getting the smearing, are you noticing that all the colors that you are printing are smearing or is it only a specific colors (like Black) that are smearing? Have you tried different ink outputting settings?

Let us know some more details and we can work to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#12 Posted : 7/16/2018 8:32:36 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Pharmucho - To add to Dave's response, adjusting the material type setting can have a significant positive impact on smearing issues as well. Using the default or plain paper setting will sometimes lead to ink that is susceptible to smearing when printing on glossy or plastic film surfaces. Adjusting the paper type setting to Photo or Glossy should improve the print durability on these types of surfaces.

If you've made these adjustments and are still experiencing issues please just let us know and we'll be happy to continue looking into it for you.
#13 Posted : 8/24/2018 3:38:26 AM(EST)
normasu

United States

I've purchased the white glossy and clear glossy labels for inkjet printers and the images printed on these materials always smear. I've adjusted the material settings and even went as far as trying to find a solution online but it wasn't much help. I am kind of irritated because I heard great reviews about these labels and i've managed to waste a lot of the labels I had purchased trying to find a solution.
#14 Posted : 8/24/2018 5:15:25 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: normasu Go to Quoted Post
I've purchased the white glossy and clear glossy labels for inkjet printers and the images printed on these materials always smear. I've adjusted the material settings and even went as far as trying to find a solution online but it wasn't much help. I am kind of irritated because I heard great reviews about these labels and i've managed to waste a lot of the labels I had purchased trying to find a solution.

Normasu - I am sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with the glossy and clear labels for inkjet printing. Can you provide more specific details on the issue you are experiencing?

- What is the printer model that you are using?
- Are you using the OEM inks or compatible inkjet cartridges in your printer?
- Does the smearing happen during the printing process or when you touch the labels?
- Is the ink not drying even after the labels sit for a little while?
- Do you notice that certain colors are smearing in the design or do all the colors smear?
- Did you notice any difference in performance when you tried the different materials settings?

Let us know and we can continue troubleshooting the issue. Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#15 Posted : 8/24/2018 3:05:36 PM(EST)
normasu

United States

Printer model is Canon Pixma MX 920
I am using OEM inks
The smearing happens after the printer process if I touch the labels
The ink is not drying even after letting the labels dry for a while
All colors smear
Ive tried using different material settings but its the same outcome for all
I tried laminating the labels which defeat the purpose for which I purchased them
#16 Posted : 8/25/2018 7:51:03 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I am using OEM inks
All colors smear
I tried laminating the labels which defeat the purpose for which I purchased them

I appreciate you providing this information. I will meet with our technical team on Monday to see what additional data we have on the Canon Pixma MX920. We have a lot of customer data on all the different printer models and we should be to evaluate that data to try to come up with some recommendations & possible solutions.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#17 Posted : 8/27/2018 11:10:25 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

I am using OEM inks
All colors smear

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. We've tested both the white gloss and clear gloss materials for inkjet printing with a few different Canon PIXMA printer models over the years and have had a lot of success. I haven't had the opportunity to use Canon PIXMA MX920 specifically, but we have received some very positive feedback from customers who have used this printer model with both material types in the past.

Based on the feedback we've received from our customers along with information located within the printer manual, there are a few different printer settings that you should try if you haven't already.

Setting the material type to one of the photo options should provide the most durable print results. The following material type settings should be the best options to try:

Photo Paper Glossy
Glossy Photo Paper "Everyday Use"
Matte Photo Paper

If you've tried those material type settings are still experiencing smearing or smudging issues you should make sure that your print quality is set to standard rather than high. The high print quality setting could potentially lead to over-saturation of ink on the facesheet, which could be the root of the smearing that's occurring.

As with any printable inkjet material it's important to let the printed sheets sit for awhile before attempting to use the labels. If possible, letting the sheets sit for a couple of hours should ensure that the ink sets properly.

If you've tried all of the suggestions listed above and are still having issues, you may want to try using a protective overcoat spray. We recommend a product called Krylon Preserve-It. You can view a step-by-step guide on applying a clear overcoat spray by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/krylon-weatherproof-waterproof-label-overcoat-spray.htm

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#18 Posted : 11/25/2018 1:42:50 PM(EST)
Janet

Netherlands

I have the problem of smearing also with the gloss clear labels on my Brother MFC-J4620DW. Can you tell me how to print correctly?
Thank you

Kind regards Janet
#19 Posted : 11/26/2018 11:19:51 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Janet Go to Quoted Post
I have the problem of smearing also with the gloss clear labels on my Brother MFC-J4620DW. Can you tell me how to print correctly?
Thank you

Kind regards Janet

Thank you for your inquiry. I was able to locate the user's manual for your printer model and there are a couple of settings that could potentially improve your print results. According to the manual, the Brother MFC-J4620DW defaults to the "Plain Paper" paper type setting. Adjusting the paper type setting to "Other Glossy" or "Inkjet Paper" should improve the print durability and reduce the smearing that you've experienced.

If you've tried adjusting the paper type setting and are still experiencing smearing issues you may need to adjust the print quality setting to ensure that the page isn't being over saturated - from "Best" to "Normal" or from "Normal" to "Fast".

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#20 Posted : 12/6/2018 2:09:24 PM(EST)
artalacarte

United States

I purchased the weatherproof gloss inkjet labels. Even after drying for a couple of weeks, the ink comes off when wiped. I set my printer (Canon MX 890) on glossy paper, printed again and the same thing happens. Any suggestions? Thank you!
2 Pages12»