Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 9/17/2020 3:48:26 PM(EST)
ssuser09

United States

Hi, I went through many of the forums but can't seem to find an exact answer in regard to a printer. I just called and was told that most customers experience better results with Epson or Canon printers. At the present moment, I'm using glossy paper labels. Which Epson or Canon printer would you recommend? I am willing to make the investment. At the moment I am using an HP Deskjet printer but am experiencing shifting. I know shifting is expected and I have also played around with the settings but settings don't offer many options for the HP printer I use. Please let me know, I hear Canon may be the best...I just don't know which model.
#2 Posted : 9/18/2020 9:37:38 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Canon has been my go-to choice for desktop inkjet printer models for a few years now. I've had a ton of success using our inkjet label materials with their PIXMA series of printers. It can be difficult to recommend very specific models just due to the fact the printer manufacturers tend to release new models very frequently. I've been using the Canon PIXMA TS9120 as my primary inkjet printer for a couple of years now and have always been very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, this specific model seems to be discontinued and not readily available at retail anymore, but I've used various PIXMA models over the years and I believe you should be fine working with one of their newer models. Before making a purchase look around online at customer reviews. That should be a pretty solid indicator of whether there's any major issues or limitations with a printer model.

Regardless of which printer model you wind up going with, just make sure to adjust the print settings to ensure the best possible print results. Most printer models are set as default to print on plain white copy paper. Adjusting the material type setting to a photo or glossy setting should provide excellent print results no matter which material you're printing on.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 11/15/2020 6:07:58 PM(EST)
Sangrecbd

United States

Since the ts9120 is discontinued do you recommend the ts8320 or ts9520?
#4 Posted : 11/16/2020 11:43:25 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Sangrecbd Go to Quoted Post
Since the ts9120 is discontinued do you recommend the ts8320 or ts9520?

I haven't had the opportunity to test the Canon PIXMA TS8320 or the Canon PIXMA TS9520, but I've used a wide variety of PIXMA printer models over the years and I've always been pleased by the results when used with our selection of inkjet label materials. Based on the customer reviews at various online retailers and comparing the printer specifications to the PIXMA TS9120 that I've had so much success using, I'd say you should be able to buy either model with confidence.
#5 Posted : 2/8/2022 5:42:46 PM(EST)
SunflowerMo

United States

Hello, I'm trying to find a cheap printer for labels and i'm stressing right now. Please help with any suggestions you may have. I thought about using Canon Pixma Ts3520..but idk if it will do the job. i also thought about the Canon Pixma MG3620 Wireless Inkjet.
#6 Posted : 2/9/2022 8:11:32 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: SunflowerMo Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I'm trying to find a cheap printer for labels and i'm stressing right now. Please help with any suggestions you may have. I thought about using Canon Pixma Ts3520..but idk if it will do the job. i also thought about the Canon Pixma MG3620 Wireless Inkjet.

Thanks your inquiry. While I haven't had a chance to use either of the model numbers that you listed in your post, I have used a number of other Canon PIXMA models and have always been very pleased with the results when printing on our selection of inkjet compatible materials. Regardless of which printer model you wind up choosing, the most important suggestion I can provide is to set the material type to a photo/glossy setting before printing on your labels. Most desktop inkjet printers are set as default to print on plain copy paper. Adjusting to a photo/glossy setting will ensure the best, most durable results when printing on more specialized label materials.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: SunflowerMo
#7 Posted : 2/10/2022 8:46:48 PM(EST)
SunflowerMo

United States

Originally Posted by: Josh Go to Quoted Post

Thanks your inquiry. While I haven't had a chance to use either of the model numbers that you listed in your post, I have used a number of other Canon PIXMA models and have always been very pleased with the results when printing on our selection of inkjet compatible materials. Regardless of which printer model you wind up choosing, the most important suggestion I can provide is to set the material type to a photo/glossy setting before printing on your labels. Most desktop inkjet printers are set as default to print on plain copy paper. Adjusting to a photo/glossy setting will ensure the best, most durable results when printing on more specialized label materials.

Do you know any that are compatible with macbook air with an m1 chip?
#8 Posted : 2/11/2022 8:45:58 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Do you know any that are compatible with macbook air with an m1 chip?

I haven't had a chance to use a Macbook with an M1 chip, so I can't speak with certainty about compatibility on that kind of device. I did find a page on Canon's website that details Mac compatibility for their range of products though. You can access their compatibility checklist at the link below:

Canon Mac OS X Compatibility Checklist

I hope this helps. Please just let us know if you need any additional information.
#9 Posted : 8/16/2022 11:00:17 PM(EST)
Kittredge

If you are working with a Mac and not Windows, be careful what canon printer you choose. I used to have great success with canon inkjet printers but my canon TS8220 connect using Apple AirPrint instead of with a printed driver. That means that many of the features I need are not available, including charging the tone and intensity of the color. Also, my online labels always came out flawlessly on my old canon but on the TS8220 there is a tremendous amount of bleed over time (especially with the reds) and a lot of fading. Canon blames Apple, saying that Apple does not support this printer. I don't know if that is true but I am now looking for suggestions for a better inkjet printer or a good laser printer that allows me to adjust the color and has a rear feed, which is necessary for labels if you don't want them to get jammed. I'll take any suggestions anyone has!
#10 Posted : 8/18/2022 9:15:46 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Kittredge Go to Quoted Post
If you are working with a Mac and not Windows, be careful what canon printer you choose. I used to have great success with canon inkjet printers but my canon TS8220 connect using Apple AirPrint instead of with a printed driver. That means that many of the features I need are not available, including charging the tone and intensity of the color. Also, my online labels always came out flawlessly on my old canon but on the TS8220 there is a tremendous amount of bleed over time (especially with the reds) and a lot of fading. Canon blames Apple, saying that Apple does not support this printer. I don't know if that is true but I am now looking for suggestions for a better inkjet printer or a good laser printer that allows me to adjust the color and has a rear feed, which is necessary for labels if you don't want them to get jammed. I'll take any suggestions anyone has!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. Unfortunately, I don't have have access to a Mac computer to test any of my printer models with, so I'm unable to provide any specific recommendations about a newer model that may provide better results.

I've searched online for some answers, and the information I've found is somewhat inconclusive. It seems that Apple developed AirPrint to provide a simple means for users to print from iPhones, iPads and Mac computers without the need to install or maintain printer drivers. They tout this as a quality-of-life feature, and for most users who are simply looking to print photographs from their mobile devices it's likely been well received. AirPrint has been much less popular with power-users who are attempting to adjust advance settings that are only available when installing the actual print driver.

Both parties are somewhat to blame here. From what I can tell, most printer manufacturers have stopped developing dedicated print drivers for Mac computers and just work to ensure that their newer models are compatible with AirPrint. Meanwhile, Apple developed AirPrint to be a very broad solution that could apply to any printer model from any manufacturer. This results in some of the more advanced features being limited to Windows machines where dedicated print drivers are still being developed and maintained over a printers lifetime.

The only real solution to is look specifically for a printer that features dedicated print drivers for Mac. I've done some searches this morning, and it appears that the newest models from Canon, Brother and HP all require AirPrint when printing from a Mac computer. This applies to both inkjet and laser printers. After looking at a few Epson printers, it does seem that they may still be supporting actual dedicated print drivers for Macs on some of their models. I have an Epson EcoTank ET-2650 that I've had a lot of success with over the years. It features a back loading mechanism like you requested, but it doesn't have advanced features for adjusting tone and density. I just looked at the driver page though, and it seems as if there are updated Mac drivers available. You may want to browse Epson's inkjet printer models to see if you can find one with the features you're looking for. Just make sure to check to see if there's a Mac driver available before making a purchase.

If you're unable to find a newer printer model that meets your needs, you could always look back for discontinued models that do not feature AirPrint compatibility. Availability on older models can be touch and go. I've had some success finding older models on Amazon, but they're usually being sold by individual users rather than the manufacturer and the pricing can sometimes be quite high.

Before shopping for a new printer, there is one thing you can try with your current setup. You mentioned adjusting the tone and intensity in the past, but have you ever adjusted the media or paper type setting within the print options? If the print options available through AirPrint allow you to adjust the paper type, setting it to a glossy or photo option should dramatically improve the print durability and decrease the bleed that you're experiencing. This is always the first thing we recommend for smearing, smudging or bleeding issues, and in most cases it tends to resolve the problem without any additional adjustments required. It's definitely worth a shot if you haven't tried making this adjustment already.