Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages12»
#1 Posted : 4/15/2015 12:51:10 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Maestro Label Designer – New Technology Platform!

Over the years, we have worked tirelessly to make sure that Maestro Label Designer is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to design and print your labels. Constantly adding new features and improving existing functionality based directly on feedback has been the driving force in making our software such an effective design tool. Recently though, we discovered that our ability to continue upgrading Maestro Label Designer was hindered by the fact that the program was developed using Adobe Flash, a software platform that is gradually becoming outdated. Thankfully, this limitation will no longer be an issue for the future development of the program – we are excited to announce Maestro Label Designer’s re-launch using a brand new technology platform that is compatible with all current web browsers!

Upgrading Maestro Label Designer to this new platform will provide us with the flexibility that we require to continually improve and evolve this software. This means that important changes to enhance usability and functionality of the program will be possible much faster now. But what does the change in platform mean for you in the immediate future?

The good news is, from a usability perspective, hardly anything has changed – if you have prior experience with the program, everything that you remember in terms of functionality will be located in exactly the same place as it was before. This ensures that you won’t have to hunt around the program to find the new locations of your favorite features.

More good news – one of our oldest, most distressing problems with Maestro Label Designer has been addressed. In the original version of Maestro Label Designer, certain font styles encountered odd issues with character spacing. In some instances, letters and characters were too close, and in other instances they were spaced too far apart. We are very happy to have finally resolved this issue with the transition to the new technology platform.

Unfortunately, the resolved character spacing problem actually leads to the largest known issue with the new version of Maestro Label Designer. Previously saved designs that include text will likely experience some inconsistencies with alignment. This is related directly to the “corrected” character spacing. We strongly recommend reviewing your previously saved designs before proceeding with printing using the updated version of Maestro Label Designer. Some minor editing and positioning may be required to ensure that your label design displays and prints properly. Once you have made your edits, saving your design again will ensure that everything will appear correctly from that point on.

A legacy version of the previous Maestro Label Designer will be available for the next few months at the link below:

http://maestro.onlinelab...gner/maestro-legacy.aspx

It’s important to note that moving your designs to the new version is not only highly recommended, but strongly advised. At some point over the next few months, support for the legacy version of the program will cease. Making sure that your designs appear correctly within the updated version of the program is the best way to ensure they are usable once the legacy version of Maestro Label Designer is discontinued.

At no point will any designs disappear when we discontinue our Legacy version of Maestro Label Designer. They will always be accessible in the new version, even if you do not open them up now and re-save them before the Legacy version is discontinued.

We advise viewing and re-saving them now because if upon opening the design, you decide you would rather view it and save a PDF of the design from the Legacy version that option is available to you. Once we fully discontinue the legacy software, that will no longer be an option.

If you should have questions or concerns about the transition of Maestro Label Designer to its new software platform, please contact our Customer Service department directly by submitting a support ticket at the following link:

https://secure.onlinelab...port/SupportRequest.aspx

Edited by user Friday, June 16, 2017 2:24:27 PM(EST)  | Reason: This information is no longer up to date. We now have a new redesigned Maestro Label Designer!

#2 Posted : 4/16/2015 12:55:47 PM(EST)
whitebonus

'Just saw this post on the day after. 'Glad to read about the character spacing improvement.

'Started working on a "resaved" (upgraded) file today and found that a short cut feature no longer works. This wasn't a feature that I read about, but one that I accidentally discovered. It was a quick way to make a copy and this is how it worked:

Select an item to highlight it (click on a text box, shape or image). While the cursor is still over the highlighted item, hold down both the Shift and Ctrl keys together, and then click on the item again. You’ve just made a duplicate copy right on top of the original. You can now move that copy wherever you’d like.

Again, this no longer works in the new upgrade. Sorry to see that go. 'Hope no other short cuts or features are lost.

-- Steve

P.S.
I was interrupted by a fellow employee before I finished the note above. He needed some labels printed. In printing these labels, I had great difficulty in selecting a design in the Edit Your Design's Layout screen. I clicked multiple times (approximately 10) to select an un-highlighted choice and eventually it highlighted.

'Hopefully this bug can be fixed.

(BTW, I'm still using Internet Explorer, which is the browser my company has been using for over a year.)

#3 Posted : 4/16/2015 1:56:34 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

whitebonus -

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have notified our development team and they will work to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

Regarding the second problem you described, we are aware of the issue occurring within Internet Explorer and are working towards a resolution. In the meantime, if you are able, opening the program within Google Chrome will allow for a much smoother selection process.
#4 Posted : 4/16/2015 7:40:30 PM(EST)
anjyepit

United States

Thank you Josh, for this post. I've noticed that with the updated Maestro, there is no longer an option to pick a color from an uploaded picture on my label to choose a background color. I hope that makes sense. My uploaded logos have a variety of colors and, with the old Maestro, I could click the dropper on the logo and match the background color perfectly. Now I'm forced to continually guess colors from the given spectrum and am never able to match the logo color. Is this a permanent change or will the dropper ability be reinstated? Thank you!

Edited by user Thursday, April 16, 2015 7:41:14 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#5 Posted : 4/16/2015 10:04:13 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: anjyepit Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Josh, for this post. I've noticed that with the updated Maestro, there is no longer an option to pick a color from an uploaded picture on my label to choose a background color. I hope that makes sense. My uploaded logos have a variety of colors and, with the old Maestro, I could click the dropper on the logo and match the background color perfectly. Now I'm forced to continually guess colors from the given spectrum and am never able to match the logo color. Is this a permanent change or will the dropper ability be reinstated? Thank you!

Our development team had some issues when adding the eye dropper feature to our new version of Maestro Label Designer. Rather than delay our planned launch of the software, we decided to leave this feature out.

We have received concerns / requests for this feature many times in the last 24 hours so we are adding it to our priority list. We hope to have a solution in place within the next few days.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#6 Posted : 4/17/2015 9:29:56 PM(EST)
Eco

United States

Hi Dave,
I am working on labels for a large wedding. I started the labels on the old version & now I can't use the color eye dropper to match the colors to finish these.

I am struggling.

The color eye dropper & the ability to pick a color was the best feature of Maestro for me.

Please get this back as soon as possible.
#7 Posted : 4/17/2015 11:15:34 PM(EST)
Eco

United States

Dave I just found the note on the older version!
Thank you :O)
#8 Posted : 4/17/2015 11:35:20 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: Eco Go to Quoted Post
Dave I just found the note on the older version!
Thank you :O)

Yes - the legacy version is available for the next few months at the link below.

As we mentioned in the post, we hope to have the eye dropper functionality up and running in the new version sometime next week.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#9 Posted : 4/18/2015 9:42:48 AM(EST)
sveley

United States

With this new upgrade, when I go to look at a saved label, I get the message about the upgrade, click the box I understand and then my design is gone. It has happened to 2 of my lip balm labels so far. I'm afraid to continue on as all my work is missing. Disappointed in this.
#10 Posted : 4/18/2015 10:01:18 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: sveley Go to Quoted Post
With this new upgrade, when I go to look at a saved label, I get the message about the upgrade, click the box I understand and then my design is gone. It has happened to 2 of my lip balm labels so far. I'm afraid to continue on as all my work is missing. Disappointed in this.

Sveley - I apologize for the issue you are experiencing. I am sure we can trouble shoot the problem and resolve it. I checked your account and there is a large number of designs so I am not sure which ones to test on my end. Can you submit a support ticket with the names of the Maestro Label Designer files where you are seeing the issue?

You can submit a ticket at the link below.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
 1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: sveley
#11 Posted : 4/20/2015 11:36:46 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

To all those who were missing it - the color-dropper tool has been added to the new version of Maestro Label Designer. Please try using the tool and let us know if you experience any issues.

Thank you again for your patience in this matter!
#12 Posted : 4/20/2015 11:39:59 AM(EST)
malu

Hi. I noticed that the font I use does not display correctly. How do I get the proper font back up? The font I use is Magma Halo which is a font I purchased & installed on my computer.
#13 Posted : 4/20/2015 10:42:57 PM(EST)
linds273

United States

I ran into an issue today when I tried to use the new version of Maestro; the OpenType font that I primarily use for my labels no longer displays correctly. The odd part is that it now no longer displays correctly for me in Word...but when I use the legacy version of Maestro, it displays perfectly! I don't know enough about Maestro or font files to understand why this may be, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone could help.
#14 Posted : 4/21/2015 10:25:51 AM(EST)
nancy jean

United States

I am soooooo disappointed in this upgrade I don't know where to begin.
After years of working on it and saving product labels for my business every single one of them will require redesign. The fonts are not even close to the same. Some of the lettering is bolder, some of it smaller. The guide label in the back is useless. After spending half an hour redesigning a label i print it to find out that it no where near lines up to the die cut labels. I can't correct it by using maestro to adjust the printer so instead I am forced to skew the label design by half and inch off the label template. zooming in and out changes where wording falls on the label. pictures are a different size.

I can't even save a label to a folder. no option to. Now I have to search my computer to figure out where they landed, then copy them to a folder. it's so helpful it blows my mind.

I am so frustrated and angry I could spit nails. I even gave input on the upgrade. WTF were you guys thinking? This might possibly be the worst tech upgrade I have ever had.

I used to recommend online labels to everyone. Nope. not anymore.
#15 Posted : 4/21/2015 10:53:29 AM(EST)
whitebonus

Hey Nancy Jean,

I feel your pain. I'm having problems with the upgrade too. The font I use most often does not display or print correctly in either Firefox or Chrome, but believe it or not, it works in Internet Explorer.

So, I don't know if you've experimented with different browsers for your issues, but you might try that and see if your results improve.

Upgrades and relaunches can be a pain -- ugh!

- whitebonus
#16 Posted : 4/21/2015 11:52:04 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: nancy jean Go to Quoted Post
I am soooooo disappointed in this upgrade I don't know where to begin.
After years of working on it and saving product labels for my business every single one of them will require redesign. The fonts are not even close to the same. Some of the lettering is bolder, some of it smaller. The guide label in the back is useless. After spending half an hour redesigning a label i print it to find out that it no where near lines up to the die cut labels. I can't correct it by using maestro to adjust the printer so instead I am forced to skew the label design by half and inch off the label template. zooming in and out changes where wording falls on the label. pictures are a different size.

I can't even save a label to a folder. no option to. Now I have to search my computer to figure out where they landed, then copy them to a folder. it's so helpful it blows my mind.

I am so frustrated and angry I could spit nails. I even gave input on the upgrade. WTF were you guys thinking? This might possibly be the worst tech upgrade I have ever had.

I used to recommend online labels to everyone. Nope. not anymore.

I apologize for the issue. We are still working through some of the bugs related to the upgrade.

On our end, our goal was to remove the Flash Player requirement due to fact that we had concerns that browsers in the future will likely block or not support Adobe Flash Player which would effectively shut down our ability to offer Maestro Label Designer. Unfortunately in moving away from Adobe Flash Player, we do not have consistent browser platform for us to support since our customer base uses every browser type (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, & Safari). The browsers all handle fonts and spacing a little differently. This made it impossible to create consistency between the Flash Player based Maestro Label Designer and our new platform.

The issue you are experiencing with the new designs having to be pushed off-center of the template to line up correctly sounds like a bug of some sort. Can you submit a ticket to us with the name of the specific design / designs? Can you also provide your browser version and OS? That will allow us to look further into the issue. You can submit the support ticket at the link below.

We still have the legacy version of Maestro Label Designer running. You can find it at the link below.

The legacy version will continue to be available for the next few months as we work through issues in the newer version. You may want to consider generating PDF files for your designs from the legacy version. You can then save those PDF files to your computer so you can print them at anytime (without having to log in to Maestro Label Designer).

Thanks for your understanding.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#17 Posted : 4/21/2015 11:59:07 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: linds273 Go to Quoted Post
I ran into an issue today when I tried to use the new version of Maestro; the OpenType font that I primarily use for my labels no longer displays correctly. The odd part is that it now no longer displays correctly for me in Word...but when I use the legacy version of Maestro, it displays perfectly! I don't know enough about Maestro or font files to understand why this may be, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone could help.

Maestro Label Designer uses the fonts installed on your system along with some fonts that are built into Maestro Label Designer (these built-in fonts are Open Source Fonts that are available to every user no matter what fonts are installed on their system).

The font you are experiencing the issue is likely a font that is installed on your system and not built into Maestro Label Designer. Can you please let us know the specific font that is causing the issue? We can try to see if one of our testing machines has the font installed so we can try to replicate the issue on our end. We also need to know your browser version (IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and OS (Mac, Windows).

Please submit a support ticket at the link below and we will look into the issue.

I have no idea why the font isn't displaying correctly in Microsoft Word. I don't think this is anyway related to our software.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#18 Posted : 4/24/2015 11:55:30 AM(EST)
10097brc

United States

I am not sure I can explain this properly, but here goes... I create about 60 different labels every season for my products and I save them to my computer to print when I need them. Before when saving these files a box would appear and you would choose the file you wanted to save it in and click save. Then every label after the first went into the same file. You didn't have to search for it again to save. Now with the new system when I click on print and save to a pdf it opens the temporary files folder every time and will not go to the folder I previously selected. This seems trivial, until you are trying to design 60+ labels at a time and have to click 5 or 6 times to save the file every time when it was instant before.
#19 Posted : 4/24/2015 1:11:46 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: 10097brc Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure I can explain this properly, but here goes... I create about 60 different labels every season for my products and I save them to my computer to print when I need them. Before when saving these files a box would appear and you would choose the file you wanted to save it in and click save. Then every label after the first went into the same file. You didn't have to search for it again to save. Now with the new system when I click on print and save to a pdf it opens the temporary files folder every time and will not go to the folder I previously selected. This seems trivial, until you are trying to design 60+ labels at a time and have to click 5 or 6 times to save the file every time when it was instant before.

10097brc - The way that the PDF opens / downloads depends on the browser that you are using. Most browsers allow you to change the settings for downloading files. The article at the link below details how to change those settings in each of the popular browsers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Where-a-Download-is-Saved

I just did a quick test on my browser (Google Chrome) using Method 3 of 3 for Google Chrome (referenced in the article above) and it allowed me to select the location to save each time that I download a file.

I hope this information helps.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#20 Posted : 4/25/2015 4:44:55 PM(EST)
$teve

When will I be able to access the fonts from my computer? Your upgrade really has caused a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE !! This is time that I CANNOT replace. FIX the F'n program now so that you HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS. As an old saying goes: "If you don't help your customers SOMEONE ELSE will"
2 Pages12»